Official ONAFORUMS baseball thread

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Easy to forget he's also 22 or 23 years old still. There's about to be alot of kids older then him just getting drafted. He has nothing to prove. Hard to hit when you have no protection. Every pitcher is under orders to give him nothing over the plate.
He is still going to get a huge contract next season. Him and Judge.

G

Nope not a bad take. Those Dominicans get lazy. Judge is a good kid, he deserves all the money in the world.

G

Easy to forget he's also 22 or 23 years old still. There's about to be alot of kids older then him just getting drafted. He has nothing to prove. Hard to hit when you have no protection. Every pitcher is under orders to give him nothing over the plate.
Yeah he’s only 23, it’s crazy. He won the World Series already and could have easily been MVP

G

Just be happy you assholes lucked into a World Series win. You had no business being there.

G

Wasn’t talking about puig specifically
And it’s fine even if he does get lazy, hustle isn’t a big part of his game. It’s his swing, pitch recognition, and superior eye. And again he’s a high character guy and everyone loves him.

And if you’re worried about him getting old and fat look at his dad, he’s fucking jacked.

G

And it’s fine even if he does get lazy, hustle isn’t a big part of his game. It’s his swing, pitch recognition, and superior eye. And again he’s a high character guy and everyone loves him.

And if you’re worried about him getting old and fat look at his dad, he’s fucking jacked.
He’s a great player. Reminds me of bonds. But he needs a fire under his ass

G

He’s a great player. Reminds me of bonds. But he needs a fire under his ass
Sure. It’s got to be hard to stay super motivated when you’re on a shit team and you already won the World Series when you turned 21.

N64 Cube

Patrick S. Tomlinson staring as “Liquor Pig”
Are any of you fellas into sabermetrics? Or do you think stuff like that is overrated?

Edit- I can’t spell.

Last edited:
Disabor metrics? Dassabesso metrics.
Jussa high launch angle n fuggin

0CBBB5EC-C177-4031-BE4A-B454A378C74D.jpeg

Monk

Are any of you fellas in sabermetrics? Or do you think stuff like that is overrated?

Edit- I can’t spell.

I watch most games with BaseballSavant open on a second screen. Cool to see the numbers behind what you're watching. I also browse Sports-Reference sites a lot, especially Baseball-Reference. Advanced statistics are great but I can't stand the Reddit faggots who think they should dictate every decision a manager makes. Stats are great for analyzing things that have already happened and understanding why they happened. They're also fine for making broad predictions on things that might happen but the more specific the situation is, the less numbers should be relied on. Reddit fags act like managers should make all decisions based on what the numbers say to do. Baseball is too unpredictable to make decisions based on numbers in highly specific situations. Tampa found that out in the 2020 World Series when Cash took out Snell in game six and lost the series because he was making decisions based on the numbers when it was clear he should have kept Snell in.

G

Are any of you fellas in sabermetrics? Or do you think stuff like that is overrated?

Edit- I can’t spell.
They're good in some instances. Oakland did it well in the early 2000s and everyone just ran to copy them because it saved the owners money. I think it's good for the front offices but players these days have way too many numbers in their head.

What nobody mentions in moneyball is that Oakland rotation had 3 lights out starting pitchers who were on the mound for 60% of their games. They also had an MVP shortstop. They moneyball worked because it helped them build some cheap pieces around a good core and they followed an identity, (work walks, drive up pitch count, no stealing, no bunts)....it got them to the playoffs many times but notices Oakland has never done shit. Tampa has a couple pennants atleast.

Point is, it's good for finding diamonds in the rough, players who don't look sexy and aren't getting attention from other teams, finding slight edges...but when everyone is doing the exact same thing it becomes moot.

They're good in some instances. Oakland did it well in the early 2000s and everyone just ran to copy them because it saved the owners money. I think it's good for the front offices but players these days have way too many numbers in their head.

What nobody mentions in moneyball is that Oakland rotation had 3 lights out starting pitchers who were on the mound for 60% of their games. They also had an MVP shortstop. They moneyball worked because it helped them build some cheap pieces around a good core and they followed an identity, (work walks, drive up pitch count, no stealing, no bunts)....it got them to the playoffs many times but notices Oakland has never done shit. Tampa has a couple pennants atleast.

Point is, it's good for finding diamonds in the rough, players who don't look sexy and aren't getting attention from other teams, finding slight edges...but when everyone is doing the exact same thing it becomes moot.
That Moneyball team is a far cry from the analytics of today. The concept was actually quite simple. Replace a superstar by committee instead of one guy, on-base percentage which was a new-fangled stat at the time. Very basic stuff. The league has since gotten extremely carried away.
Your last point is spot on. They had such an edge because nobody else was doing anything like it, so they had an entire leagues worth of diamonds in the rough to discover.

Nowadays you could actually do a similar thing to Moneyball but the exact opposite.
There are probably guys with stellar fundamentals being overlooked right now because they dont throw 99mph, or dont hit home runs, etc.

Monk

The Angels are hilarious. Trout is such a retard for not bailing at the first chance he got. Nice wasted career, stupid.