Official ONAFORUMS baseball thread

G

I went to the game and the derby last year. The derby was awesome, the game was a bit of a let down but I was extremely hungover which didn't help.
I liked the old way they did it. 10 swings that aren't a home run and your done. The timer is stupid. I don't understand the need to convolute and tinker with this shit all the time. Midsummer "CLASSIC" you fucking money hungry kikes.

How long until they nigger this up like the NBA and have captains picking teams on a "primetime event"

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Just bought my fwb and I a pair of tix to see my Cubbies vs Los Doyers tonight for $80. Only bringing her cus she doesn’t drink and her $40 ticket is a MUCH cheaper ride than an Uber from OC…and I plan to get drunk! She’s fun tho. I’m born and raised in OC, but am a lifelong Cubs fan cus of the movie Rookie of the Year. We have dope outfield seats so I’m gonna bring my mitt like a faggot.
Are you gonna get one of those dodger dogs or the street food the Mexicans sell outside that magically makes your colon open up?

The Homerun derby is fucking stupid as they change the rules every other year and I have no idea what's going on. Although who hit more homeruns still makes more sense than a dunk contest, now that's retarded.

For those who don't know, the Homerun derby started as a tv show.

RaggotFetard

Didn’T LisTen
Are you gonna get one of those dodger dogs or the street food the Mexicans sell outside that magically makes your colon open up?
I had a Dodger Dog for the first time and it sucked ass. I’ve heard Adam Carolla go off about how shitty it is for many years and I always thought “how bad could it be”? It really was garbage…and I got mustard on my Cubs jersey, like a fuckin drunk retard. We stopped and got awesome tacos at some hole in the wall on the way back to her place.

Definitely looks better than it tastes.

1658171117919.jpeg

Monk

Anyone watch minor league ball? My city only has a High-A team, but I've been watching every game this season and it's been awesome. It's completely revived my interest in baseball and it's nice to watch the game played at a pretty high level without all the bullshit that goes into a network broadcast.
There's a Northwoods League team where I live. Summer ball for college players. Best seats are only $12 and on Fridays they do 2 for 1. Usually try to hit up a few games per month. Have seen some good players over the years. Pete Alonso, Chris Sale, Max Scherzer, Matt Chapman.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
There's a Northwoods League team where I live. Summer ball for college players. Best seats are only $12 and on Fridays they do 2 for 1. Usually try to hit up a few games per month. Have seen some good players over the years. Pete Alonso, Chris Sale, Max Scherzer, Matt Chapman.
They serve beer at minor league games? Im not a drunkard like Patrick, but something about having a cold beer and watching a live game is great. I’d assume if they had it, it’d be cheaper than what you pay at a major league park?

NortheastPhilly

Shock Jock
Why the Phils continue batting Schwarber leadoff is beyond me. I went to the Nats game where he cranks 2 homers and we lose 3-2 because nobodys on base, (and also because Odubel is a disgrace)

Monk

I can reliably tell whether a ball is going to be a HR from only looking at the exit velo./launch angle numbers. Think that might be a sign I watch too much baseball...

G

Why the Phils continue batting Schwarber leadoff is beyond me. I went to the Nats game where he cranks 2 homers and we lose 3-2 because nobodys on base, (and also because Odubel is a disgrace)
What's weird is Boston did the same thing, I never understood it. Guy is as pure a power hitter as you can find.

I can reliably tell whether a ball is going to be a HR from only looking at the exit velo./launch angle numbers. Think that might be a sign I watch too much baseball...
Exit velocity wasn't a stat when I was a kid watching baseball, so I don't understand why fans get so wet over it now. Who gives a shit how fast the ball was moving off the bat?

Monk

Exit velocity wasn't a stat when I was a kid watching baseball, so I don't understand why fans get so wet over it now. Who gives a shit how fast the ball was moving off the bat?
They didn't have radar guns when I was a kid, so I don't understand why fans get so wet over it now. Who gives a shit how fast the ball was moving out of the pitcher's hand?

They didn't have radar guns when I was a kid, so I don't understand why fans get so wet over it now. Who gives a shit how fast the ball was moving out of the pitcher's hand?
Pitch-by-pitch speed gives you insight to both the pitcher's stamina and strategy.

If there's something I'm missing about exit velocity, fine, but your pith stinks.

*I'm pretty sure I mis-used the word "pith", so there's egg on my face too.

Monk

Pitch-by-pitch speed gives you insight to both the pitcher's stamina and strategy.

If there's something I'm missing about exit velocity, fine, but your pith stinks.

*I'm pretty sure I mis-used the word "pith", so there's egg on my face too.
Exit velocity gives you insight to both the batter's ability to make solid contact and their luck in a given AB. If a batter hits a 112 mph screamer that gets caught, it means they made great contact but got unlucky. It gives just as much insight as pitch speed. You don't need a radar gun to tell if a guy is a hard thrower but having specific numbers makes it easier to compare them to other pitchers. Same with batters. You don't need EV to tell if a guy hits the ball hard but having those specific numbers gives you an even better idea of how impressive their ability to hit the ball hard is compared to others.

Try watching some games with Baseball Savant open on a second screen. I like the advanced stats because they add more context to the game and help you to understand things like whether players are getting lucky or not, or whether a player is good at making solid contact which typically correlates to higher exit velocity.

Exit velocity gives you insight to both the batter's ability to make solid contact and their luck in a given AB. If a batter hits a 112 mph screamer that gets caught, it means they made great contact but got unlucky. It gives just as much insight as pitch speed. You don't need a radar gun to tell if a guy is a hard thrower but having specific numbers makes it easier to compare them to other pitchers. Same with batters. You don't need EV to tell if a guy hits the ball hard but having those specific numbers gives you an even better idea of how impressive their ability to hit the ball hard is compared to others.

Try watching some games with Baseball Savant open on a second screen. I like the advanced stats because they add more context to the game and help you to understand things like whether players are getting lucky or not, or whether a player is good at making solid contact which typically correlates to higher exit velocity.
I dont buy it. You already have batting average to tell you if the guy hits the ball where they aint, which is all that matters. A guy that lines 112mph screamers straight into the shift everytime, is simply a guy that cant get on base or make adjustments