Official ONAFORUMS baseball thread

Monk

I dont buy it. You already have batting average to tell you if the guy hits the ball where they aint, which is all that matters. A guy that lines 112mph screamers straight into the shift everytime, is simply a guy that cant get on base or make adjustments

You don't buy it because you don't seem to want to buy it or understand the context it provides. Like I said, watch a game with Baseball Savant open if you want to get a better idea of the usefulness of EV/LA/xBA/etc. They help provide context with regards to things that might not be obvious by just watching the game or looking at a box score.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
You don't buy it because you don't seem to want to buy it or understand the context it provides. Like I said, watch a game with Baseball Savant open if you want to get a better idea of the usefulness of EV/LA/xBA/etc. They help provide context with regards to things that might not be obvious by just watching the game or looking at a box score.
Stat fags and sabermetrics have ruined baseball fandom for hardcores. Sabermetrics do nothing. Nothing. They show you nothing about baseball. They teach you nothing about technique or ability. All of these "stats changed the game" losers do not realize that the thing that changed baseball was steroids. Drugs. I doubt that anyone who is hardcore into baseball stats even played baseball in high school.

Guys like Bonds and Sosa were putting together ludicrous OPS and other offensive stats not because of sabermetrics or video analysis or swing analysis. But because they were drugged out of their minds. The entire arms race of real baseball behind the scenes never was sabermetrics. It was always steroids. Who could drug their players out of the most. Right now it is about using pitching compounds for grip or beating on a trash can lid or using hidden cameras.

You talk like someone who did not play baseball beyond like fifth grade.

Monk

Stat fags and sabermetrics have ruined baseball fandom for hardcores. Sabermetrics do nothing. Nothing. They show you nothing about baseball. They teach you nothing about technique or ability. All of these "stats changed the game" losers do not realize that the thing that changed baseball was steroids. Drugs. I doubt that anyone who is hardcore into baseball stats even played baseball in high school.

Guys like Bonds and Sosa were putting together ludicrous OPS and other offensive stats not because of sabermetrics or video analysis or swing analysis. But because they were drugged out of their minds. The entire arms race of real baseball behind the scenes never was sabermetrics. It was always steroids. Who could drug their players out of the most. Right now it is about using pitching compounds for grip or beating on a trash can lid or using hidden cameras.

Are you gonna cry, faggot? No one was talking about steroids and they can't even use sticky stuff so you're bringing up totally irrelevant bullshit. Did the orderly forget to give you your medication this morning? Or are you just a spastic little bitch? Go back to Reddit with the rest of the emotional faggots.

If those stats interest you and help you enjoy the game more, than to each their own. But it will always be about where you hit it and not how hard. I might be able to find them more interesting if it wasnt so obvious that they are being used to destroy fundamentals and common sense.
You see a 160 pound SS swing out of shoes with 2 strikes and you just know its because the analytic fags are getting to him. Fuck all that noise. The way it’s implemented needs to evolve and I think we will all look back on this era and laugh about how dumb it was someday

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
The Homerun derby is fucking stupid as they change the rules every other year and I have no idea what's going on. Although who hit more homeruns still makes more sense than a dunk contest, now that's retarded.

For those who don't know, the Homerun derby started as a tv show.

I remember seeing these on ESPN when I was a kid during the summer. Totally forgot about them.

G

As a person of great grade baseball fuck off linger. Just fawkin hit the ball square and fuck the coaches that say hit it up.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
I remember seeing these on ESPN when I was a kid during the summer. Totally forgot about them.
I think Nickelodeon ran them on weekend mornings. The first time I heard the name Harmon Killebrew was on Home Run Derby.

If I'm remembering correctly the episodes were shot at Wrigley Field. Wrigley Field in Los Angeles.

Monk

That double play the AL just turned was sweet.

Shoutout to the brotherman on the Reddit game thread in r/dodgers, I see you:

Screenshot_16.png

fusciasomething

Jacques De Gautier
I really hate the Dodgers but it was cool to see Kershaw get his first start at home. I can't believe he's never started a game before this

Monk

If those stats interest you and help you enjoy the game more, than to each their own. But it will always be about where you hit it and not how hard. I might be able to find them more interesting if it wasnt so obvious that they are being used to destroy fundamentals and common sense.
You see a 160 pound SS swing out of shoes with 2 strikes and you just know its because the analytic fags are getting to him. Fuck all that noise. The way it’s implemented needs to evolve and I think we will all look back on this era and laugh about how dumb it was someday

Advanced stats aren't why the game sucks compared to how it used to be. Baseball is just dumb when it comes to change. Banning the shift and universal DH are two prime examples. It's not macho to choke up or move around in the box. Instead of players learning to beat the shift by choking up and moving around in the box, they ban it. Instead of being better about training pitchers to do the same or get good at bunting, they take the bat out their hands entirely in favor of the DH. Being into advanced stats doesn't mean I'm advocating for how the game is played currently. To me, they're just added context. If it were up to me there would be no DH in either league.

G

I really hate the Dodgers but it was cool to see Kershaw get his first start at home. I can't believe he's never started a game before this
kershaw's a faggot. albeit the best pitcher of the last decade, maybe verlander or scherzer
alacantara deserved the start

fuck all these "humble" players and farewell tours ala pujols, gimme some puig and javy baez talking shit.

[MEDIA=youtube]OkBhMC2iet8:51[/MEDIA]

I dont buy it. You already have batting average to tell you if the guy hits the ball where they aint, which is all that matters. A guy that lines 112mph screamers straight into the shift everytime, is simply a guy that cant get on base or make adjustments
baseballs been infiltrated by dweebs talking about BABIP and fwar, it's soooo gay.
it's made it even more inaccessible to the average fan. bring back steroids and baseball becomes the most popular sport.
gimme ERA and k/9, and OBP and bb and k's. all you need.
the yankees got gallo cause of sabermetrics, that's working out greeeeaaaaat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monk

Yankees didn't need advanced stats to make that trade. Gallo hits mostly pull shots and Yankee Stadium is pretty well known for being favorable to hitters with power to right.

fuck all these "humble" players and farewell tours ala pujols, gimme some puig and javy baez talking shit.

I've been a Yankee fan my whole life and Jeter's farewell tour was the most self serving shit I've ever seen. Oh he's always been all about the team. Bullshit. The guy was the most selfish player I've ever seen who's whole "captain" image was he was the first to high five someone when they hit a homerun - and then isolate them and ostracize them in the clubhouse if the two had beef. In his last few years he entrenched himself in the 1 or 2 spot and SS position despite that he could no longer hit and was as mobile as your dining room table in the field. All the pregame ceremonies of teams giving him gifts was embarrassing for the sport. At least when Mariano retired he didn't ask for it and teams did it out of respect because he retired as the undisputed greatest player at his position. But Jeter, he's just a douche.

I hope the entire analytics department gets fired for the Gallo debacle. Obviously Yankee Stadium has the short porch, but the guy isn't a major league player. His at-bats as amateur at best and always non competitive. I'm not exactly Gene Michael but even I have seen enough baseball to say that guy has no talent and no advanced stats can prove otherwise.

G

I did not think Nick Castellanos would be this terrible. The fuck happened

The phillies fucked up. now theyre stuck with nola, castellanos, wheeler, schwarber, etc and the value only goes down from here.
you guys are gonna be the angels in two years with those contracts lmao. castellanos seems like a real ass dude tho.

[MEDIA=youtube]MfvV_n5BKfE[/MEDIA]

WWAW the homerun derby being way better when chris berman was going back back back ?
now it's the gay ass timer and espn even lost track of the homerun count this year
It was way better when they focused on each hr instead of this gay timer shit

[MEDIA=youtube]QkR1vpFeGSo[/MEDIA]

G

The phillies fucked up. now theyre stuck with nola, castellanos, wheeler, schwarber, etc and the value only goes down from here.
you guys are gonna be the angels in two years with those contracts lmao. castellanos seems like a real ass dude tho.

WWAW the homerun derby being way better when chris berman was going back back back ?
now it's the gay ass timer and espn even lost track of the homerun count this year

The timer thing is horrible. So is the head to head nonsense. Old format kicked ass. I hate how much these leagues try to manufacture drama, it waters everything down. Home run derby is just a dumb event and they can't even keep their grimey jew hands off that.

Before you know it MLB will have 16 team playoffs and it'll just be retarded like the NHL and NBA pointless ass regular seasons because "TV deals". They should atleast put a qualifier that you need a winning record to be a wild card

G

Agreed, the timer is stupid. You don’t get to really see the HR and the dumb announcers can’t figure out what the bell is going on.

fusciasomething

Jacques De Gautier
I was really looking forward to this NY series and then stupid Rick has to have yet another meltdown and distract me completely. That cocksucker even ruins baseball for me