wrestling is gay but it used to be cool

Zombie247

Go work. Get Sandwiches
Vader was supposedly the most hated wrestler on the entire roster. Because he would hit you as hard as he possibly could. All of his punches were real and he'd jump on you and slam you without absorbing any of the force. For some reason he was just a huge asshole. I think he was one of the guys where they would take shits in his locker and his gym bag all of the time when he was in the ring during a match.
Vader was a cunt. He fucked up alot of jobbers with his ring performance. He even didn't bother. Washing his tights or the mask. Dirty bastard.

Cumiace

All the cool people switched to watching mma while the wrestling crowd was replaced by the capeshit/qwertyuiop crowd
1656903844473.png

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Haha that’s amazing! A little while ago i watched that dumpster match between Cactus/Funk against the New Age Outlaws. That was a great memorable match.
I was always surprised they decided to make Terry funk “chainsaw Charlie” because they didn’t think the crowd would know who he was yet were cheering for Cactus Jack who was known from different promotions.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
JR during those years was so fucking good. Everything he did sounded so big, important, and legitimate. He always sounded so disgusted by heel antics, he sold it so well and full of venom. He is the greatest to ever do it. At his best there is no one better. None.
Don’t forget Lawler also doing a great job putting over the heels while JR would act like he’s personally offended and disgusted by the heels action. The puppies shit got old with Lawler but him with JR during those years was the best, up there with Bobby The Brain and Gorilla. I was watching some old WWF recently with Brain on commentary and it’s amazing how so much of what he said wouldn’t be allowed today since it’s so “non PC” even though he doesn’t use any foul language.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
No way. The acrobatic flipping shit in AEW is wayyyyyy more coordinated looking than it has looked in the past. I saw some match from (I think) last week with Will Ospreay and it was really egregious.

I come from Britain's World of Sport. The gymnastics shit would never fly when you had a grapplers mentality like they did.

Cornette, Last and Rip Rogers had it so right here. Credit to Orton for speaking up too - never did the the dangerous stuff others did and he actually drew.

DIVE!

UnPRePared

This is going to sound so gay but sometimes i get goosebumps and tears in my eyes cause of his commentary, that’s how good he was. He was really a big part of getting people and angles over. He made us really believe. You’re right, he was the greatest, i loved Monsoon and Heenan as a duo but JR truly was the best.

One of the last American matches I took the time to watch - and one of the few from the 2000 era - was Jeff Hardy vs. Undertaker for the World title. Ross had one of the greatest announcer lives ever:

"CLIMB THE LADDER, KID! MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!"

That's what these guys are supposed to do, at least when the wrestlers in front of them aren't insulting everyone's intelligence.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Roddy Piper's work with Cyndi Lauper was pretty funny. They presented her a gold record for "She's So Unusual" at Madison Square Garden and Piper came out and smashed it over Lou Albano's head. Simple fun.
Piper was my favorite, playing the heel takes work but you could tell he loved being the bad guy. I met him a couple times and he was a cool guy. He told me Mr. T was a real asshole and I mentioned working with Hogan in the past and he asked me if Hulk was “huffing and puffing full of steroids”

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
I come from Britain's World of Sport. The gymnastics shit would never fly when you had a grapplers mentality like they did.

Cornette, Last and Rip Rogers had it so right here. Credit to Orton for speaking up too - never did the the dangerous stuff others did and he actually drew.

DIVE!

I got to see a dark match at a live show back in 2002 in Philly right before the brought Randy Orton to the main roster, I think he only had the one tattoo on his upper back at the time. Who did he wrestle?

Mr Perfect

Talk about a dream match nobody knew they were watching. I’m surprised the match hasn’t been released in some form to WWE network but it was a dark match so video quality wasn’t good, no commentary, and probably few angles.

UnPRePared

I got to see a dark match at a live show back in 2002 in Philly right before the brought Randy Orton to the main roster, I think he only had the one tattoo on his upper back at the time. Who did he wrestle?

Mr Perfect

Talk about a dream match nobody knew they were watching. I’m surprised the match hasn’t been released in some form to WWE network but it was a dark match so video quality wasn’t good, no commentary, and probably few angles.

Curt Hennig would have been a God over in British wrestling - but at the time he was in WWF, Britain's industry was beginning to collapse. I see it's only now been coming back the last decade.

But yeah, more than even Bret, he's my favorite American wrestler. He would make everyone look great, even put over Bret with a fucked up back so he could win the IC Belt clean.

One of the few druggies of that era I actually felt sorry for.

Piper was my favorite, playing the heel takes work but you could tell he loved being the bad guy.
Agreed. It's why I think Andy Kaufman's wrestling shtick is only just starting to be appreciated in recent years. It was reduced to "fighting girls" for a long time but his "I'm From Hollywood" angle was hilarious and set the stage for some of the most high profile moments in wrestling history at the time (most people thought the Lawler slap on Letterman was real when it happened).

Sure he wasn't technically gifted at all, but when you compare Kaufman's passion and influence to any celebrity who dabbles in wrestling today to promote a project or further their brand, it's night and day.

Last edited:

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Curt Hennig would have been a God over in British wrestling - but at the time he was in WWF, Britain's industry was beginning to collapse. I see it's only now been coming back the last decade.

But yeah, more than even Bret, he's my favorite American wrestler. He would make everyone look great, even put over Bret with a fucked up back so he could win the IC Belt clean.

One of the few druggies of that era I actually felt sorry for.
Yeah he was a guy that “got it” as they say, of course his father was a wrestler but like Bret he could put anyone over. That was they were using him at the time, putting over guys on Heat / Dark Matches. He really should have been used on the main shows but I guess they felt he was from a different era. Of course he was gone after the plane ride from hell (supposedly him and Brock got into a shoot fight on the plane over real wrestling) and ended up in TNA when they were signing anyone. Died in hotel from an overdose at 44. If he just kept clean he could have been used as a producer / teacher for the new guys.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Agreed. It's why I think Andy Kaufman's wrestling shtick is only just starting to be appreciated in recent years. It was reduced to "fighting girls" for a long time but his "I'm From Hollywood" angle was hilarious and set the stage for some of the most high profile moments in wrestling history at the time (most people thought the Lawler slap on Letterman was real when it happened).

Sure he wasn't technically gifted at all, but when you compare Kaufman's passion and influence to any celebrity who dabbles in wrestling today to promote a project or further their brand, it's night and day.

Andy Kaufman pretty much ruined his career to do the wrestling because back then it wasn’t like today with WWE being a global brand. But what he did really laid the groundwork for Hollywood and wrestling working together eventually. The “I’m from Hollywood” promos are still funny, telling the crowd they’re stupid rednecks, teaching them what a bar of soap is, the Duuuuuhhhhh wanna wrassle? etc back when wrestling crowds would attack heel guys. That took balls and dedication to mess the audience