Where we at with the Dave Meltzer?

Riccardo Bosi

watches seasons 3-9 all the time, child.
Hogan singlehandedly ruined that company with his "it doesn't work for me, brother" shit.

Bischoff is full of fucking shit on why it finished the way it did. "Sting wasn't ready, but let's put the belt on him anyway."

They end up running back this match on the next night on Nitro, and the finish isn't even live. And then you don't see a finish until Superbrawl, and it's again not a clean finish.

The match could have been Stinger Splash x2, Death Drop, 1 2 3 and it would've sent everyone home happy.

They really fucked Bret, too.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
WCW had so much talent at the time, The NWO, Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, DDP, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, Sting, Goldberg, The Steiner Brothers and way more.

Their roster was arguably way more stacked than the WWF.

But they still fucked it up, astonishing.

Riccardo Bosi

I'm a bit confused, WWF and WCW were two competing wrestling federations? Did they broadcast shows simultaneously? Will it be ok if i only watch WWF or should i also watch WCW? It's all a bit overwhelming.
Yeah, they used to compete and broadcast at the same time. I'd just stick with WWF because WCW goes way the fuck downhill, although their cruiserweight shit was great.

Snake

The match could have been Stinger Splash x2, Death Drop, 1 2 3 and it would've sent everyone home happy.

They really fucked Bret, too.
Conrad says exactly that and Bischoff still defends it. Bret still maintains Bischoff is the biggest retard ever managing a company. He was there for a little bit and they fucking did nothing with him besides stick him in the NWO, because reasons.

Snake

@K-Schwabby and to piggy back Hogan fucking it up, they could of saved WCW with NWO vs NWO Wolfpac, and they never actually feuded besides promos. In hindsight it was a short term sales boost for red shirts with wolves on them. Again, this was Hogan and Nash having real heat and Hogan killing it.

Nash said that Sting showing he had a Wolfpac shirt, was one of the loudest pops he ever heard.

I miss hearing the crowd like that as a kid.

Monk

Also, check out the Sting vs. nWo segments on Youtube. He was so over and of course WCW went and fucked that up.
I like Nash but that part about WCW fucking things up reminds me of some complete fucking nonsense he tried to claim on an episode of Broken Skull Sessions:

Tyson was a huge get for the WWF but for Nash to act like WCW didn't have the same chances is revisionist garbage. The difference between the two companies was that Vince knew how to capitalize on his opportunities and make the most of them. WCW just cheaply wasted every opportunity. Shit like this is proof:

They had Rodman, one of the biggest names in sports and pop culture at the time on their show but they didn't do anything with it. It's a cool moment but they never used it to build towards anything lasting that people would remember. WCW also did a lot of work with No Limit/Master P in the late 90s when every album from No Limit rappers were going platinum almost instantly. People hardly even remember that WCW worked with them at all. WCW probably had even greater mainstream exposure than WWF but they pissed it away every time.

Riccardo Bosi

@K-Schwabby and to piggy back Hogan fucking it up, they could of saved WCW with NWO vs NWO Wolfpac, and they never actually feuded besides promos. In hindsight it was a short term sales boost for red shirts with wolves on them. Again, this was Hogan and Nash having real heat and Hogan killing it.

Nash said that Sting showing he had a Wolfpac shirt, was one of the loudest pops he ever heard.

I miss hearing the crowd like that as a kid.

That's awesome. I always thought DX was lame compared to Wolfpac. Even douchey guys like Luger were super over in those days.

They fucked around so much in 99 and 2000. Fucking Flair held the belt in 99, and in 2000 Jarrett won it after spending years in WWF as a midcarder. Then they finally give it to Steiner but it's too late by then.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
I enjoy Corny and Dave both. Dave is for sure a raging autist but that's exactly the kinda person who makes a good historian or journalist. He's not perfect, but no one is. Except Curt Hennig.
Curt Hennig truly was Perfect, his partnership with Flair is still one of my favourites, Flair trying to convince Savage that Elizabeth was having a affair with him was hilarious.

Heenan and Hennig where also a perfect duo.

Last edited:

Snake

That's awesome. I always thought DX was lame compared to Wolfpac. Even douchey guys like Luger were super over in those days.

They fucked around so much in 99 and 2000. Fucking Flair held the belt in 99, and in 2000 Jarrett won it after spending years in WWF as a midcarder. Then they finally give it to Steiner but it's too late by then.
So much of Attitude Era doesn't hold up. The Rock stinks and can't do shit without a script. Austin would just riff. Austin 3:16 was his own making while all of Rock's lines were written for him. DX were 4chan before 4chan. Michaels was Vince's bottomboy faggot and I'm glad they all hated him.

When Nash was booking, he said so many guys were hurt that Flair became one of the only guys he could really use. He claims that he didn't write himself in to beat Goldberg, and who really cares if he did. They were booing him before his loss. Scott Hall said in shoots that he was telling them to fucking beat him already and he's gotta start talking. That gimmick was washed up fast.

G

[SIZE=13px]Wrestling is the stupidest thing on Earth, but it's psychologically fascinating, and Cornette is one of my favorite listens because of his encyclopedic knowledge.[/SIZE]
Now, Dave Meltzer is someone who has made his name as a "wrestling journalist"... Which is about as self-important as saying you're the district manager of a Wal Mart, or the third lead singer of Genesis. (Cough) And he's been living off of that for years, as a guy with sources in the industry that people choose to come to, a sometime interviewer, a genuine historian almost on par with Cornette, and a critic whose reviews of matches seem to hold some kind of importance (I don't get it though).

For those of you aware of him, I just wanted to ask - what is this MushMouth idiots deal? He hosts an internet radio show but he's worse than Opie, Sam, and Brandon Schaub combined. He stammers, stutters, "ahs" and "ums" like a six year old at a grammar school talent show, tweets with a Pat-level autism and condescension, and even though I don't really watch wrestling anymore (World of Sport is long dead and NXT UK was nothing that intrigued me), I've had a taste of what he and Cornette review in AEW, and I mostly side with Jim here, that show is completely awful. For every good moment of psychology, I mainly feel I'm watching a gymnastics exhibition. Even the old videos of Dynamite Kid and Shawn Michaels had some fucking psychology to the matches.

Torch me or add your opinion, I'm genuinely curious.
Corny is the only wrestling related subject I pay attention to anymore. He’s always good for a rant. He’s a throwback ‘true believer’ in an era where even the marks know locker room slang.

He’s a Deep South Southerner who’s an atheist.

It’s like he crafted his entire identity around just trying to annoy people.

I’m also physically attracted to your girlfriend.

Riccardo Bosi

So much of Attitude Era doesn't hold up. The Rock stinks and can't do shit without a script. Austin would just riff. Austin 3:16 was his own making while all of Rock's lines were written for him. DX were 4chan before 4chan. Michaels was Vince's bottomboy faggot and I'm glad they all hated him.

When Nash was booking, he said so many guys were hurt that Flair became one of the only guys he could really use. He claims that he didn't write himself in to beat Goldberg, and who really cares if he did. They were booing him before his loss. Scott Hall said in shoots that he was telling them to fucking beat him already and he's gotta start talking. That gimmick was washed up fast.
I like heel Cena more than I liked Rock at the time. Rock was super over, but the audience would tire of him and he'd leave for a while. His schtick never would have lasted for years and years.

By the time Nash beat Goldberg, Bill had gotten stale and the Wolfpac was at its peak. People say Nash did this and that, but the guy was fucking over. And as I'm sure you know - and Austin's character is unique - the 3:16 persona is VERY similar to what Diesel did in his last few months.

Snake

I like heel Cena more than I liked Rock at the time. Rock was super over, but the audience would tire of him and he'd leave for a while. His schtick never would have lasted for years and years.

By the time Nash beat Goldberg, Bill had gotten stale and the Wolfpac was at its peak. People say Nash did this and that, but the guy was fucking over. And as I'm sure you know - and Austin's character is unique - the 3:16 persona is VERY similar to what Diesel did in his last few months.
My memory of Diesel is very minimal since I started watching it not long before him and Scott left and they replaced them with Glenn Jacobs and the jobber who played Razor.

33b227a43315b7a1-600x338-1.png

Riccardo Bosi

My memory of Diesel is very minimal since I started watching it not long before him and Scott left and they replaced them with Glenn Jacobs and the jobber who played Razor.

View attachment 42252
I think Diesel had the glass shatter before the entrance. If he had stayed around I'm sure the belt would have gone back to him because Shawn stunk and Vince cums over the big guys.

Snake

I think Diesel had the glass shatter before the entrance. If he had stayed around I'm sure the belt would have gone back to him because Shawn stunk and Vince cums over the big guys.
I always thought Michaels was a draw as a kid but now, most people say he didn't draw a dime as champion. He was tiny and it was easy to throw the belt on him since Vince was ducking the government heat.

Riccardo Bosi

I always thought Michaels was a draw as a kid but now, most people say he didn't draw a dime as champion. He was tiny and it was easy to throw the belt on him since Vince was ducking the government heat.
They took a guy who danced around and dressed like a homo and thought he'd be a good babyface. I don't care how good he was in the ring, '96 Shawn was a complete faggot. The audience just never viewed him as THE guy. They had loyalty to Bret, but at least he understood when Austin came around that they had to orchestrate the double turn. Most guys would rather run their characters into the ground.