Where we at with the Dave Meltzer?

JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS

DMANIAC
He's based, I love how angry he makes all those internet marks.

He's very underappreciated, he's a very big part of the success of the attitude era.

Sure he did go overboard sometimes but that doesn't diminish what a impact he has had on the boost in popularity during the late 90's.

Him and Vince McMahon where a perfect team, when he left for WCW he really needed someone like Vince to reign him in sometimes.
The one thing I heard someone say about Russo that really turned me into a fan was he thought about all the guys on the card. He tried to get everybody into a storyline.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
The one thing I heard someone say about Russo that really turned me into a fan was he thought about all the guys on the card. He tried to get everybody into a storyline.
The jobbers back then got bigger reactions than the so called main eventers right now, absolutely pathetic.

Matches had a purpose back then, to move a storyline forward, now matches are just randomly picked without a reason it seems.

You truly need a solid undercard, midcard and main event to get a smooth show, every gear is important for the engine to run smoothly.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
All very interesting views. Thank you.

I don't like Russo very much, but he is Cornette's antithesis. He views wrestling like what Vince does, where Jim stayed with the old territory mindset. One is home cooking and the other is fast food - both have their place, I guess.

@JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS , you're correct, even the lowest card guy seemed to have a story when Vince Russo ran it. But when matches were all usually very short, lots of people could shine on a two hour show. Now it's three hours and the same six people fight each other every week and talk rehearsed for fifteen bloody minutes. I think the actual scripts is what bothers me, the previous generation could wing it and come up with classics. Dusty Rhodes was a favorite of mine for that reason.

Corny is a good listen. I hate the political rants because I am not a fan of talking political period - be a humanist and care about others, keep it at that. Once you get into this side verses the other, it's Super Nintendo vs. Mega Drive; just like what you fucking want and leave it alone. But he's an incredible historian, and he doesn't kill a hang on his own show like Meltzer.

Seriously, Meltzer out-Opie's Opie. He has been attacked for saying genuinely stupid shit and the sperg marks defend him like a God. That sickens me... But I guess Corny has his similar defenders.

It's a tough one, man.

Riccardo Bosi

watches seasons 3-9 all the time, child.
This is one of the reasons why WWF shit the bed:

Following the departures of Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara, Kreski became the head writer of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF).[2] He is widely credited with writing captivating and layered storylines, and was at the helm of WWF creative in some of its all-time peak years of both ratings and profitability, sustaining the momentum of Russo/Ferrara's writing by continuing their Crash TV format. Kreski was replaced as head writer by Stephanie McMahon following October's No Mercy PPV event,[3] but remained with on the creative team until 2002, when he left to pursue other opportunities.[2]

Kreski died of lung and brain cancer on May 9, 2005.[2][4]

Rumour has it Stephanie would make fun of him because he - God forbid - used a literal storyboard of sorts. Kreski's 2000 is a lot more cogent than Russo's 1998 and 1999, that's for sure. The way multiple stories would intertwine with each other was great, and they'd keep it up for a few more years but the Invasion angle was the beginning of the end.

You could just sit back and watch this now.

PS:

Kreski was associated with MTV Networks for over 15 years, and was a writer and consultant for many of its high-profile series and specials, such as Remote Control, Beavis and Butt-Head, Celebrity Deathmatch, and the channel's annual movie and video music awards shows. He was responsible for many of the channel's distinctive in-house promotional spots during the early 1990s. Kreski was also a head writer of The Daily Show and The Martin Short Show.

Zombie247

Go work. Get Sandwiches
I tapped out after the Attitude era. I listen to Cornette for old school story's. Apparently, Meltzer turned into a cunt.

The last time I had any interest in wresting was CM Punks return. A good watch.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
This is one of the reasons why WWF shit the bed:

Following the departures of Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara, Kreski became the head writer of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF).[2] He is widely credited with writing captivating and layered storylines, and was at the helm of WWF creative in some of its all-time peak years of both ratings and profitability, sustaining the momentum of Russo/Ferrara's writing by continuing their Crash TV format. Kreski was replaced as head writer by Stephanie McMahon following October's No Mercy PPV event,[3] but remained with on the creative team until 2002, when he left to pursue other opportunities.[2]

Kreski died of lung and brain cancer on May 9, 2005.[2][4]

Rumour has it Stephanie would make fun of him because he - God forbid - used a literal storyboard of sorts. Kreski's 2000 is a lot more cogent than Russo's 1998 and 1999, that's for sure. The way multiple stories would intertwine with each other was great, and they'd keep it up for a few more years but the Invasion angle was the beginning of the end.

You could just sit back and watch this now.

PS:

Kreski was associated with MTV Networks for over 15 years, and was a writer and consultant for many of its high-profile series and specials, such as Remote Control, Beavis and Butt-Head, Celebrity Deathmatch, and the channel's annual movie and video music awards shows. He was responsible for many of the channel's distinctive in-house promotional spots during the early 1990s. Kreski was also a head writer of The Daily Show and The Martin Short Show.

Nice tits though.

0lktw95323j61.jpg

889ba7ff850a311aeada7950a4b079d2.jpg

G

I want to start watching wrestling from the 90's attitude era, never watched it before only clips on Youtube, where should i start? I have downloaded the Monday Night Raws from 97, is this a good place to start?

Monk

Might have just been her talking bullshit on Stern but he interviewed her once and it sounded like she's a dirty little animal in the sack. 3-input gal and likes to be tied up. Probably got into the latter after Taker tied her up that one time back in the day. That rapey Undertaker segment is fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

Riccardo Bosi

watches seasons 3-9 all the time, child.
I want to start watching wrestling from the 90's attitude era, never watched it before only clips on Youtube, where should i start? I have downloaded the Monday Night Raws from 97, is this a good place to start?
Yeah that's as good as any. It becomes a more entertaining show in '98, but '97 is better written. The rise of Austin and the feuds between him and Bret, Bret and Shawn and Shawn and Taker are legendary.

Destination: Basedville

Jenna

Nighs Wonger, Stupid

There's a guy who does a youtube series called "Reliving the War", it's the only wrestling-related youtube series I keep up with. He goes every Monday when Raw & Nitro competed against each other, covering what happened and recommending any particularly good matches.

Monk

Summerslam '96 is probably a good place to start. After that is when Stone Cold started feuding with Bret but it's early enough where there's still some gimmicky shit. It's interesting to see the transition in style really starting in mid/late '96.

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
King of the Ring 1996 is when Austin did his famous Austin 3:16 promo.

It's even before the Austin/Bret feud i think.

Maybe that's a good point to start?

Edit - @Monk mentioned SummerSlam 1996, that's 2 months after King of the Ring, so around that time seems best.

Last edited:
G

Yeah that's as good as any. It becomes a more entertaining show in '98, but '97 is better written. The rise of Austin and the feuds between him and Bret, Bret and Shawn and Shawn and Taker are legendary.

[MEDIA=youtube]bZlRy9QqD0M[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=youtube]HjROKwBRBhM[/MEDIA]

Destination: Basedville
There's a guy who does a youtube series called "Reliving the War", it's the only wrestling-related youtube series I keep up with. He goes every Monday when Raw & Nitro competed against each other, covering what happened and recommending any particularly good matches.

[MEDIA=youtube]id=KvHXNtZXRY8;list=PLIfr8r22OVa2VmJWKzu_3GeEVE_OTh92s[/MEDIA]
Summerslam '96 is probably a good place to start. After that is when Stone Cold started feuding with Bret but it's early enough where there's still some gimmicky shit. It's interesting to see the transition in style really starting in mid/late '96.
King of the Ring 1996 is when Austin did his famous Austin 3:16 promo right?

It's even before the Austin/Bret feud i think.

Maybe that's a good point to start?

[MEDIA=youtube]tjWPoQWdmjg[/MEDIA]

Edit - @Monk mentioned SummerSlam 1996, that's 2 months after King of the Ring, so around that times seems best.

Thank you (y)

Snake

Also, check out the Sting vs. nWo segments on Youtube. He was so over and of course WCW went and fucked that up.
Hogan singlehandedly ruined that company with his "it doesn't work for me, brother" shit.

Bischoff is full of fucking shit on why it finished the way it did. "Sting wasn't ready", but let's put the belt on him anyway.

They end up running back this match on the next night on Nitro, and the finish isn't even live. And then you don't see a finish until Superbrawl, and it's again not a clean finish.

G

I'm a bit confused, WWF and WCW were two competing wrestling federations? Did they broadcast shows simultaneously? Will it be ok if i only watch WWF or should i also watch WCW? It's all a bit overwhelming.