Happy 9/11

I remember reading a story about how one of the jumpers wasn't dead but was very obviously going to die and some medic had to lie that help was coming.

What a weird story to make up. There's a video of some of the jumpers making impact shot from high up and it's pretty obvious none of them survived even for a few minutes. That documentary with the two French brothers inside with a fire crew where you hear the impact of the jumpers hitting the ground is hard to forget

RoSmokedCrack

I was chest-bumped, alroight!
Also I was watching some of the jumper videos the other day and it really is some surreal shit to think about what was going through their minds.
I went down a rabbithole yesterday of watching those videos on Youtube. Some of the footage has been upscaled to the point you can see people just below the crash site trying to hang out of the windows to let others scale down their bodies to reach the floors below before failing and falling. Fucking depressing stuff.

2Shirts1Egg2

Not 1 egg, why would you bring up eggs, you queer?
i was like 12 and at football practice, my dad picked me up after and on the car ride home he said (as casually as you would talk about a sports team) "hey did you hear they flew a plane intae a skyscraper in New York" and I said I hadn't. The whole way home I thought it must have been the coolest thing anyone had ever witnessed. The news was being a whole debbie downer about it, my parents were looking up flights to the US insisting that now was the time to go because it'd be cheap as shit

Edit - and it was on that holiday that I first encountered the notion that governments were evil thanks to an old Floridian lady my mum regretted asking about George W Bush.

Jenna

I'm the girl u needed in Jr. High
One of my neighbors a few doors down, her sons and me were at the same busstop, she is (was?) one of those obese 4'11 women, practically round. She gets to work, settles in, and within like 15-20 minutes she's taking an elevator back down to the ground floor... to get breakfast. First plane hits, she kicks off her high heels and just takes off as fast as her fat little legs can carry her. Got far enough away by the time the towers fell that she wasn't breathing any toxic smoke.

Lot of depressing memories on that day, but my neighbor surviving 9/11 because she needed a bacon, egg and cheese on a roll (from some shitty ground level deli, not the fancy Windows of the World) gives me a tragic chuckle.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
I was in grade school and 90 percent of the class was picked up from parents who were freaking out. I was not one of those children, so I just was chilling in a corner looking at a spider waiting for the end of the school day.

Also I was watching some of the jumper videos the other day and it really is some surreal shit to think about what was going through their minds.
That was something that really got into my mind immediately (jumpers). I still see some of those videos and it’s haunting. Idk what I would do / what I’d be thinking but I guess you have to choose either to die from smoke inhalation / burn to death / wait for the tower to fall, or just say “fuck this” and know it’ll be over in a few seconds if you jump.

I was 11 and my dad, who to this day hates my mom and was going through a divorce with her, came and got me because mom worked in NYC.

Edit: use a “/“ again, stupid.

RIP-Allen-Lanier

DMANIAC
nose11.png

thank you to the original creator

JebJoh

I remember going back to class after lunch and it being on the TV in the classroom

"they still talking about that? WTF cares?"

then later throwing paper airplanes at the Towers on the New York skyline wall-paper in the AV room.

I lived downtown and watched the whole thing from my terrace. It was surreal. My niece was in 6th grade, she came over that day because she and her friends thought it was cool.

JebJoh

Having airliners fly into the highest buildings in NYC and demolish them was a cartoonish thought. Really supervillain type of stuff and I can't lie, I was very entertained by it as a 14y/o.
Turns out it was all a hoax, so America could kill a few million innocent people and take their countries' resources etc.
Except we forgot to steal the resources. Instead we dumped billions of our own resources into backwards countries.