Where we at with the Quentin Tarantino stealing all his shit from better movies.

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
idk man,I can see you're way more invested in this than I am...so I'll see myself out taking this L
I appreciate that and I respect your take on pretty much everything else so I'll try not to be a douchebag and leave it alone. *sniff*

Chive Turkey

Erock Army Deserter
I mean I think Hateful Eight is pretty grown up it just doesn't have the explosive moments people wanted so they shit on it.
Hateful Eight stunk because he went all in with the explosive moment at the end, the final act is literally heads and nuts getting blown up. It's a waste of an interesting premise when the whodunit is "it's just like it appears!"

I get your point but for me Inglorious Basterds and Once Upon a Time...
Inglorious Basterds was pretty forgettable outside of the Hans Landa and bar scenes. I certainly wouldn't call it a 'grown-up' film, it's gratuitous as fuck. Haven't seen Once Upon yet so perhaps you're right.

Jackie Brown is also my favorite because it's his most subdued. It's actually got pacing, which a lot of his more extravagant movies lack and makes them feel like a series of disconnected set pieces strung along a cord. All the homages and references are subtle enough to still make the movie enjoyable for people who don't get them, and allows you to take the characters and plot more seriously than his more over-the-top zany shit.

Calculating Bovinity

My name's Pat-reek, the Five-Ton Freak, child
Jackie Brown is also my favorite because it's his most subdued. It's actually got pacing, which a lot of his more extravagant movies lack and makes them feel like a series of disconnected set pieces strung along a cord. All the homages and references are subtle enough to still make the movie enjoyable for people who don't get them, and allows you to take the characters and plot more seriously than his more over-the-top zany shit.

Also my favorite of his and that's a spot on analysis

TorqueWheeler

Never said IB was "grown up" (which is an absolutely retarded ideal to place upon a filmmaker)
Hateful Eight stunk because he went all in with the explosive moment at the end, the final act is literally heads and nuts getting blown up. It's a waste of an interesting premise when the whodunit is "it's just like it appears!"

Inglorious Basterds was pretty forgettable outside of the Hans Landa and bar scenes. I certainly wouldn't call it a 'grown-up' film, it's gratuitous as fuck. Haven't seen Once Upon yet so perhaps you're right.

You are welcome to your opinion. There's so much more going on in his films but if you don't appreciate it then it won't mean anything to you. I get it.

TorqueWheeler

He starts narrating The Hateful Eight halfway through the movie. Why?

His movies are just filled with meaningless novelty to make him seem interesting. No one will care about Tarantino in 50 years.
The narration is because the original cut was for a roadshow which was longer and had an intermission. You're out of your mind but cool. Lets see.

The narration is because the original cut was for a roadshow which was longer and had an intermission. You're out of your mind but cool. Lets see.

So why was it left in? The movie hardly depends on the narration when it comes, so it could easily have been cut. My theory is that he's a hipster faggot who wanted to include an old-timey technique because it's quirky.

TorqueWheeler

It’s still a long movie. It’s a lot to ask people to sit in a movie theater for that length of time and never move. But that’s cool, it’s your opinion and I respect it. I’m sure you did better.

G

Eat a dick. dude. I respect you, genuinely, but this is how I make a living. You don't get it, so step back. You're welcome to be wrong and I will also respect that.
It's just my opinion. Most of his films seem like live-action cartoons. He doesn't have any gravitas. Obviously films don't need to but he gets treated like he does. And we're not talking about petroleum geology or forensic accounting or some other niche profession. Of course you know more about the film making process than someone who doesn't work in the industry but taste is completely subjective. It doesn't make me wrong because I think Tarantino's movies are self-indulgent and lightweight any more than if I say I think Lars Von Trier's films are self-consciously pretentious. It's just an opinion mate.

TorqueWheeler

It's just my opinion. Most of his films seem like live-action cartoons. He doesn't have any gravitas. Obviously films don't need to but he gets treated like he does. And we're not talking about petroleum geology or forensic accounting or some other niche profession. Of course you know more about the film making process than someone who doesn't work in the industry but taste is completely subjective. It doesn't make me wrong because I think Tarantino's movies are self-indulgent and lightweight any more than if I say I think Lars Von Trier's films are self-consciously pretentious. It's just an opinion mate.

and I genuinely respect your opinion. You’re one of a handful of people here whose opinions I genuinely respect but I believe you’re letting the “too cool for school” mindset influence you too much in this case. Again, tell me ten movies of the era that you consider superior and we can discuss it. I watch 400 movies a year. I’m an open book.

fenrir

Holding hands in a circle of N-words
and I genuinely respect your opinion. You’re one of a handful of people here whose opinions I genuinely respect but I believe you’re letting the “too cool for school” mindset influence you too much in this case. Again, tell me ten movies of the era that you consider superior and we can discuss it. I watch 400 movies a year. I’m an open book.
Stop posting for a bit and sober up. You're being cunty and embarrassing yourself.

G

Off the top of my head some films I saw recently that I preferred to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood (which I did like more than anything he's done since Jackie Brown) - The Wolf of Snow Hollow, Come To Daddy, Ready or Not, The Lighthouse, Midsommar, The Block Island Sound, Thunder Road, Joker, The Kill Team.