What is your #1 favorite movie and don't be a faggot about it

G

One of my favorite things is how Kubrick achieves the dream feeling. Specifically, it's supposed to be NYC but looks nothing like it because it was shot on sets and locations in England. Just makes it feel odd, in a good way. And of course the costume orgy is one of the best scenes Kubrick ever shot.

You definitely should, motherhucker
I never really got the point of the society though. Was it just to have sex with women anonymously? And why were all the women flat and non-sexually appealing? They had no tits or ass. Not a criticism, I'm genuinely asking.

G

I never really got the point of the society though. Was it just to have sex with women anonymously? And why were all the women flat and non-sexually appealing? They had no tits or ass. Not a criticism, I'm genuinely asking.
There's a few peppered into the background that have some pretty great bodies. The redhead that ODs at the party and may or may not be the masked girl he meets had a good set of tits.

@Minaw don't read this next point until you watch it.

More to your point Douglas, I think the goal of the society is intentionally ambiguous. We're meant to feel like Tom Cruise, never sure exactly what's happening. It seems like it's just a big suck and fuck, but then the masked woman "sacrifices" herself for Tom Cruise. Then later she/or at least the redhead are found dead, the society gives Cruise the fairly menacing letter, and Nick Nightingale disappears with strange men at his hotel, allegedly going home. Later Sydney Pollack explains it was all a show to get Cruise to fuck off, but even that has a strange feel to it. We don't know if it's the truth or a cover. There's a ton of smaller details that make it questionable. For example, two men seated together at the Christmas party are also seen together at the toy store at the end when the daughter wanders off (going directly to them, actually).

TL,DR I'm a rambling faggot

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
One of my favorite things is how Kubrick achieves the dream feeling. Specifically, it's supposed to be NYC but looks nothing like it because it was shot on sets and locations in England. Just makes it feel odd, in a good way. And of course the costume orgy is one of the best scenes Kubrick ever shot.

You definitely should, motherhucker
No, I like Eyes Wide Shut. It has really good atmosphere, and I like how basically it's just a guy (Tom Cruise) walking around the city at night and trying to find out information/explore a potential secret society. I dunno, just a comfy movie. Very rewatchable.
Just finished and found it very unrealistic that a hidden group of people could have that much power. All kidding aside it was incredible. All fawkin in with slow burns done right and this nailed that. The party scene was perfection and will stick with me for a long fucking time. I hate myself for putting it off so long but I also feel like I would have enjoyed it more today than when I was younger anyways.

G

Just finished and found it very unrealistic that a hidden group of people could have that much power. All kidding aside it was incredible. All fawkin in with slow burns done right and this nailed that. The party scene was perfection and will stick with me for a long fucking time. I hate myself for putting it off so long but I also feel like I would have enjoyed it more today than when I was younger anyways.
I figured you'd probably enjoy the hell out of it. I think the very beginning establishes that it's not going to be a typical story, when the music is playing and it seems like it's background music, then Cruise abruptly stops it by turning off the radio. It's in the details maaaaaaaan

stealthygeek

Reminder: Vincent D'Onofrio blocked Patrick
1*iP2K-40nnEi4jhdrAvUvfA.png

I figured you'd probably enjoy the hell out of it. I think the very beginning establishes that it's not going to be a typical story, when the music is playing and it seems like it's background music, then Cruise abruptly stops it by turning off the radio. It's in the details maaaaaaaan

That's called diagetic sound.

Seeing a character chose a song on a jukebox, rather than just having a song as background music, is somehow much more immersive.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Drive fucking rules. Another of my all-time favorites. I really liked Only God Forgives too, although people seem to hate it.
Drive is an incredible film, it’s one of the few times I actually saw in a movie theater (I hate the theater, always would rather watch at home) and seems to get better every time I see it. The 80s style synth score works perfect when on paper it shouldn’t.

G

Drive is an incredible film, it’s one of the few times I actually saw in a movie theater (I hate the theater, always would rather watch at home) and seems to get better every time I see it. The 80s style synth score works perfect when on paper it shouldn’t.
It doesn't overstay its welcome either. It gets right to the story and doesn't belabor or linger on bullshit. It's a pretty simple plot that is always moving forward and it's a good, tight 1 hr and 40 min.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
It doesn't overstay its welcome either. It gets right to the story and doesn't belabor or linger on bullshit. It's a pretty simple plot that is always moving forward and it's a good, tight 1 hr and 40 min.
I remember when it came out I posted on FB (I know, what a fag!) about how it’s great and people should check it out. One guy I went to high school with commented that Drive was “gay” and sucks because it wasn’t like fast and furious which he thinks are cinematic masterpieces. I always thought he was an idiot but that review proved it.

G

I remember when it came out I posted on FB (I know, what a fag!) about how it’s great and people should check it out. One guy I went to high school with commented that Drive was “gay” and sucks because it wasn’t like fast and furious which he thinks are cinematic masterpieces. I always thought he was an idiot but that review proved it.
I had pretty much exactly the same interaction with the friends I watched it with. I loved it, they were pissed that it wasn't mindless VROOMVROOMVROOM bullshit.

SoloJoeAcousticShow

Ain't it fun?
The Mummy 1999 and I have no justification beyond nostalgia - I still think the opening prologue is pretty fucking dope regarding the subtlety in their use of CGI. Soundtrack is completely over-the-top awesome.

I nutted many-a-times about that pharaoh's wife painted tits back in my heyday.