Watched Sideways (2004)

TorpidSloth

You mention a lot of 1970's films, and I freely admit I have love/hate with that decade. Not a popular opinion here.

Too many films feel far too cynical, angry, even nihilistic. That isn't to say they're bad films, but movies like Looking For Mr. Goodbar, Midnight Express, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, Taxi Driver, I know that they're great - I'm glad I watched them once - but I will never watch them again.

I'm a weird old fuck about depressing films. Ever heard of "Come and See"? It's an important film, but I will never, ever watch that. Or "A Serbian Film".

EDIT: et tu, @Ned Flanders ?
Apocalypse Now is arguably the greatest film ever made

TorpidSloth

I can’t count how times I’ve watched it, Hopper and Duvall performances were something else. Even Brando only being in for a bit at the end is great.
It's difficult for anyone who grew up on CGI to even contemplate, and for anyone who doesn't know how difficult it is to get a low-budget film made, let alone something like Apocalypse, the Herculean effort that went into making that film. Everything in it is real. Captured on film.

It literally broke and bankrupted Coppola. He made the Godfather, GF2, The Conversation and Apocalypse. 4 masterpieces. He made some good films after that, some mediocre and a few stinkers. But Apocalypse kind of ruined him. What a high to peak on though.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
It's difficult for anyone who grew up on CGI to even contemplate, and for anyone who doesn't know how difficult it is to get a low-budget film made, let alone something like Apocalypse, the Herculean effort that went into making that film. Everything in it is real. Captured on film.

It literally broke and bankrupted Coppola. He made the Godfather, GF2, The Conversation and Apocalypse. 4 masterpieces. He made some good films after that, some mediocre and a few stinkers. But Apocalypse kind of ruined him. What a high to peak on though.
Yeah the making of Apocalypse Now is almost as interesting as the movie itself - like I said earlier the 70s the studios let the director do what they wanted because they were making hits but then it lead to this where they were way over budget / shooting / etc - replacing Harvey Keitel after a month of shooting with Martin Sheen, then he has a heart attack and everything else. I think they said the original cut is something like 5 or 6 hours so they really went crazy with it. On top of all that they had to deal with Brando (who the studio was against for being in the Godfather since he was known to be so difficult) and all his wacky shit. I think they had to build him a house boat that had to be carried around by the crew.

Coppola was really never the same after that, I know he’s been making a movie recently that I’ve heard is having “apocalypse now” type problems and I think he put up a good part of the money for it by selling part of his Coppola wine.

Last edited:

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!

Yeah the making of Apocalypse Now is almost as interesting as the movie itself - like I said earlier the 70s the studios let the director do what they wanted because they were making hits but then it lead to this where they were way over budget / shooting / etc - replacing Harvey Keitel after a month of shooting with Martin Sheen, then he has a heart attack and everything else. I think they said the original cut is something like 5 or 6 hours so they really went crazy with it. On top of all that they had to deal with Brando (who the studio was against for being in the Godfather since he was known to be so difficult) and all his wacky shit. I think they had to build him a house boat that had to be carried around by the crew.

Coppola was really never the same after that, I know he’s been making a movie recently that I’ve heard is having “apocalypse now” type problems and I think he put up a good part of the money for it by selling part of his Coppola wine.

Lads, I'm fascinated by the old Hollywood way of handmade sets, beautiful matte background, and hundreds to thousands of extras. It was a real life feeling that I don't see anymore because of how Hollywood has become just another business.

- Universals Hunchback of Notre Dame with Lon Chaney was a million dollar picture, could've broke them if it didn't make bank (which it did); but after the horror boom of the early thirties, a string of failures pulled Universal away from the Laemle family, bought numerous times over by non-entertainment companies like MCA and GE until Comcast recently landed them.

- Cleopatra by Fox, with Elizabeth Taylor, almost killed Fox - which was bought later on by Australian cunt Rupert Murdoch, and recently sold to Disney.

- Paramount about broke itself when the theater monopolies were outlawed and sold off practically all their old library (oddly enough, owned by Universal now). They're looking for new owners as we speak.

- Citizen Kane, and the deal they made with Orson Welles, nearly broke RKO thanks to William Randolph Hearst having a bug up his ass about the real meaning of the movie. They became a shell and the library was bought by Ted Turner, whom got bought out by Warner Brothers.

- Cimino's Heavens Gate about killed United Artists, which is why it merged with the rotting corpse of MGM - which just recently was bought by Amazon.

- And look at what's been happening with Warner Bros., all thanks to a board looking for a payout, selling it to AT&T who then strips it bare and sells it to Discovery. They were my favorite studio and it's a bloody corpse now.

The New Hollywood era, while it's not my favorite, was supposed to be the rebirth of art in film. It's why that era is so many other people's favorite. And we all know when it died - when Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese kids were decapitated by a crashing helicopter.

But that's a story for another time. I'm a little drunk.

UnPRePared

The 70s to me was when the studios just let the directors do what they want and produced huge hits but eventually each major guy had a flop (1941 for Speilberg, etc) or went way over budget / shooting schedule (Apocalypse Now for Coppola etc) and by the 80s studios reigned them back in.

See above with my last sentence. The bombs didn't help, but that Twilight Zone movie fiasco nearly ruined all of them. Spielberg was the one who fixed it, barely, and while I get why he did it, I do think it made the quality of films, due to the loss of creative control, get much worse.

UnPRePared

Yeah you're not wrong. I love Friends of Eddie Coyle but it's a massive downer. The 70s made great crime movies for that reason

Laddie, Midnight Express... Pair that one night with Harold and Maude?

I kept drinking after the movies were over. And I really like Harold and Maude.

Let's see...

The Shield, but I couldn't watch it again; I really enjoy Beavis and Butthead; Star Trek Next Generation, and that third season of Picard (you'd kill me before I watched the first two); the original Outer Limits was quite good; I'm still not sure what I think about the original Dana Carvey Show, but I never forgot when I watched a bootleg tape of it... MASH is a sitcom but it deserves mention; and what's that David Kelly tripe with Shatner? Boston Legal? For Bill and Spader alone, I loved it.

I have imported a ton of discs over the years that I get through during down times, and I went through plenty during lockdowns. It's how I've found so many.

And I didn't mention it the last time, but Garth Marenghi's Dark Place is still one of my absolute favourite shows.
Did you like the show Dallas?

Stent

they tell me I’m sweet enough
The New Hollywood era, while it's not my favorite, was supposed to be the rebirth of art in film. It's why that era is so many other people's favorite. And we all know when it died - when Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese kids were decapitated by a crashing helicopter.
Don't be a tease, Ray. Always show that clip when you mention the story.

UnPRePared

Did you like the show Dallas?

LOVE Dallas. JR Ewing is my favorite character, have a statue of him I got for my birthday. Christ, I've talked about my love for Dallas so much on here, I can't bloody believe I didn't mention it in my list.

You had me thinking about everything I've ever liked that I bloody missed my absolute top show.

But again, like I said - I've been drinking tonight.

LOVE Dallas. JR Ewing is my favorite character, have a statue of him I got for my birthday. Christ, I've talked about my love for Dallas so much on here, I can't bloody believe I didn't mention it in my list.

You had me thinking about everything I've ever liked that I bloody missed my absolute top show.

But again, like I said - I've been drinking tonight.
Lmao. Nice one, Ray. Good to hear.

UnPRePared

Don't be a tease, Ray. Always show that clip when you mention the story.

I've seen the video before, I won't share who showed me it because he really wasn't proud afterward.

It's so fucked up to watch. The different angles, the muffled live audio. I'm seriously surprised the studios didn't go scorched Earth and cripple every director going forward, regardless of box office power.

Rutherford_b_Blaze

Massachusetts State Senator
I really enjoy Sideways.

I was still in high school when the movie came out, but when I got older I used it as a date movie for when I finally got the girl to come back to my lair. It was good for that for a couple of three reasons:
  • Fairly chill and uncomplicated plot (on the surface), so there was time for plenty of crosstalk and it wasn't so intense it would prevent just making out/sex (again, this would be what I would play at my place the first time she came over)
  • Romantic elements and dilemmas that appeal to women
  • Genuinely funny
  • Intellectual enough that a girl you actually liked would appreciate it and you wouldn't look like a dumb ass (could also use to weed out those without your taste, if you actually enjoy the movie)
I assume the movie feels dated now, but it did me well circa 2012. Giamatti is always great and Thomas Haden Church makes me laugh out loud a couple times in it
Plus there's a nice peckah to get her in the mood

O-BLOCK NIGGA!

Ask me about my cock size
I really enjoy Sideways.

I was still in high school when the movie came out, but when I got older I used it as a date movie for when I finally got the girl to come back to my lair. It was good for that for a couple of three reasons:
  • Fairly chill and uncomplicated plot (on the surface), so there was time for plenty of crosstalk and it wasn't so intense it would prevent just making out/sex (again, this would be what I would play at my place the first time she came over)
  • Romantic elements and dilemmas that appeal to women
  • Genuinely funny
  • Intellectual enough that a girl you actually liked would appreciate it and you wouldn't look like a dumb ass (could also use to weed out those without your taste, if you actually enjoy the movie)
I assume the movie feels dated now, but it did me well circa 2012. Giamatti is always great and Thomas Haden Church makes me laugh out loud a couple times in it
Playtime is my go-to. Very charming and lotta laughs.