Watched Sideways (2004)

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
I really enjoy Sideways.

I was still in high school when the movie came out, but when I got older I used it as a date movie for when I finally got the girl to come back to my lair. It was good for that for a couple of three reasons:
  • Fairly chill and uncomplicated plot (on the surface), so there was time for plenty of crosstalk and it wasn't so intense it would prevent just making out/sex (again, this would be what I would play at my place the first time she came over)
  • Romantic elements and dilemmas that appeal to women
  • Genuinely funny
  • Intellectual enough that a girl you actually liked would appreciate it and you wouldn't look like a dumb ass (could also use to weed out those without your taste, if you actually enjoy the movie)
I assume the movie feels dated now, but it did me well circa 2012. Giamatti is always great and Thomas Haden Church makes me laugh out loud a couple times in it

Last edited:

Stent

Parody account. Relax, ya twink
I can identify with it.

sideways.jpg

Yeah, this thread reminded me it's one of my favorite movies. I'll have to fire it up this weekend and hope it holds up. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Surprised a brotherman didn't like it.
Its not that i didnt like it. But when i realized it was a romance and not a story of two brothermen going wine tasting i was like faaawk. I guess im just like giamattis character then.

I really like Sideways and I'm a fan of most of Payne's movies but I think it's a "for you/not for you" deal with almost everything he's done. Have you seen any of his other stuff?
I have not

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Lol when he was buying that and he specifically asked for This months issue it pummelled my ribs. Paul giamatti does the best portrayal of a depressed person I've seen in a movie .
He’s such a great actor - nobody plays a schlub better than him. He’s actually my Dad’s favorite actor for that reason. Ever see the Brian Wilson bio-pic Love & Mercy? Perfect casting as Dr Landry. Win-Win is also a good one that isn’t mentioned much.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
Neddy, Sideways is a bit divisive.

At the age I saw it, I got it. I still get it. Steve got it. Gosia and Alicja did not. Alicja even flat out said she just thinks it's a movie meant more for men.

And I think that's what it ultimately is: a perspective movie. Where are you in life? What have you experienced? Depending on those two aspects, it works for you or it doesn't.

It's no judgement on you that it didn't reach you. Certain movies never click with me. I get plenty shit to this day for saying Lawrence of Arabia is boring. And I've tried. Twice.