Can anyone remember that heinously bad Metallica album with Lou Reed?

Metal Machine Music has merits if you are able to completely ignore what constitutes as quality songwriting, composition, creativity etc. etc. I would rather hear that album and artist such as Whitehouse, Masonna and Merzbow than Imagine Dragons. Sometimes noise just works. It's less obnoxious than chatty coworkers, ambient city sounds and a yapping woman.
It's better than Berlin, which is one of my most hated albums by anyone. It's the sound of sheer pretentiousness, as only Lou Reed could do it.

PickleRickle

You are not a glowie. You are just stupid.
I was watching an interview with the guy from Hellwitch, cool old school death/thrash band and he was ripping on Excel for being lame. They were one of many underrated bands from that era that didn't have a high ceiling for commercial success.
I'm listening to their Last Refuge album right now, I got interested after hearing it had some Stoner/groove elements to it. I'm in love.

It's better than Berlin, which is one of my most hated albums by anyone. It's the sound of sheer pretentiousness, as only Lou Reed could do it.
Sure. Lou Reed isn't a favorite of mine and neither are the Velvet Underground. They are cool on paper, but not weird or eccentric enough for me. Lou Reed's attitude towards Zappa pretty much solidified him as a cunt to me.
I'm listening to their Last Refuge album right now, I got interested after hearing it had some Stoner/groove elements to it. I'm in love.
That's probably their worst album if I remember correctly. It's been almost 15 years since I listened to them in depth. I think their second album Joke's On You is the one I remember most fondly. It has the Tapping Into An Emotional Void song.

Sure. Lou Reed isn't a favorite of mine and neither are the Velvet Underground. They are cool on paper, but not weird or eccentric enough for me. Lou Reed's attitude towards Zappa pretty much solidified him as a cunt to me.
I never cared much for Zappa, but I'd listen to him over Lou Reed, no contest. At least Zappa had a sense of humor. The VU had a handful of tunes I enjoyed, but IMO they were wildly overrated. Lou Reed, though, was a pompous humorless pud.

I never cared much for Zappa, but I'd listen to him over Lou Reed, no contest. At least Zappa had a sense of humor. The VU had a handful of tunes I enjoyed, but IMO they were wildly overrated. Lou Reed, though, was a pompous humorless pud.
One of the biggest issues with getting into Zappa is where do you start? Most people only know or associate him with goofy novelty songs, but he has albums that are all over the place in terms of quality and "genre". Sheik Yerbouti is what I imagine most people associate with Zappa in their heads, but then you have Jazz From Hell, Yellow Shark, Civilization Phase III/Lumpy Gravy, Cruising with Ruben & the Jets and Grand Wazoo. All vastly different. Some are purely created on a Synclavier or performed by an orchestra or mostly instrumental. All the posthumous releases do not help with an already bloated catalog.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️ bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
One of the biggest issues with getting into Zappa is where do you start? Most people only know or associate him with goofy novelty songs, but he has albums that are all over the place in terms of quality and "genre". Sheik Yerbouti is what I imagine most people associate with Zappa in their heads, but then you have Jazz From Hell, Yellow Shark, Civilization Phase III/Lumpy Gravy, Cruising with Ruben & the Jets and Grand Wazoo. All vastly different. Some are purely created on a Synclavier or performed by an orchestra or mostly instrumental. All the posthumous releases do not help with an already bloated catalog.
It’s pretty hilarious what will make an account that has been lurking since 2020 start posting.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
He really was the smartest dude around
I loved Frank Zappa - I remember he was conducting orchestras and he was asked how he learned to do that and he said “I read a book about it” - his interviews were always interesting and entertaining and you realize “holy shit this guy is on another level of intelligence”

Also loved his appearance on Miami Vice - he thought the show was stupid but only did it because his kids liked it. He wouldn’t say cocaine and instead called it “weasel dust”

Fortified Wine

Sweet liquor eases the pain
I loved Frank Zappa - I remember he was conducting orchestras and he was asked how he learned to do that and he said “I read a book about it” - his interviews were always interesting and entertaining and you realize “holy shit this guy is on another level of intelligence”

Also loved his appearance on Miami Vice - he thought the show was stupid but only did it because his kids liked it. He wouldn’t say cocaine and instead called it “weasel dust”
I concur and lol gonna have ti check out those Miami Vices

One of the biggest issues with getting into Zappa is where do you start? .
You don't. He doesn't have any songs where he wasn't completely up his own ass. By contrast, I could name at least 40 songs of Lou Reed/VU that are at least listenable because he knows how to play a goddam GUITAR RIFF

But enough of this flamenco shit, let's get down to brass tacks.

And as an added bonus, Exodus as a band only stopped being homosexual once Kirk Hammett left. But that shouldn't be surprise to anyone

You don't. He doesn't have any songs where he wasn't completely up his own ass. By contrast, I could name at least 40 songs of Lou Reed/VU that are at least listenable because he knows how to play a goddam GUITAR RIFF

But enough of this flamenco shit, let's get down to brass tacks.

And as an added bonus, Exodus as a band only stopped being homosexual once Kirk Hammett left. But that shouldn't be surprise to anyone

Exodus is a middle of the road thrash metal band after their first album. Toxic Waltz is Anthrax yo boy era levels of aged dorkiness.