You ever realize how untalented Weird Al is?

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
As much as I might disagree with some of the stuff he says, he was too important to my childhood to say he sucks. He’s been working with the same guys for 40 years. Maybe I’m an asshole for thinking that kind of social cohesion is reflective of his character, but it seems like by and large people generally reflect favorably upon him.
Exactly. I'm almost certain he ghost writes music for other artists. His overall ability to put together lyrics and make music I'm sure isn't only limited to parody. He's a good egg. Just has "different" fans. Most are cringe, yes, but that's because the man himself is an oddball. Birds of a feather kinda situation. If I met him I'd shake his hand.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Exactly. I'm almost certain he ghost writes music for other artists. His overall ability to put together lyrics and make music I'm sure isn't only limited to parody. He's a good egg. Just has "different" fans. Most are cringe, yes, but that's because the man himself is an oddball. Birds of a feather kinda situation. If I met him I'd shake his hand.

That's been a long time rumour, and if it's true, it's a very well kept secret. Kind of like when Mel Brooks kept his name off advertisements for The Elephant Man - he didn't want people to make presumptions, and the same applies with Al. I don't have the kind of connections over on your side of the world to confirm it, but I've talked to a couple big names, and all they would say is "It's true, but..." and usually the but is you have to know someone to get that ball rolling.

I like the guy. His music is what it is, which is more amusing than funny, but he IS a talented musician, and he's very much a showman. I've been told by a few backstage fellas that he learns names and is very approachable and warm. He also, I'm told, can turn his character on like that if your kids are with you, and turn it off just as fast. No Method shit.

I get anyone who isn't in to what he does, or finds him unfunny, but he's not Gene Simmons. He's a real ass dude and one of the good ones.

Plus Alternative Polka was always fun.

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
His childrens TV show was fucking hilarious too. As others have stated UHF was a great movie.

This sounds like a case of one of our resident boomers Sgt. Barnes being humorless.

Remember when O&A tried to pile on and bash Weird Al? They played his songs wanting to trash him and ended up chuckling right along.

Aside from that one My Own Worst Enemy song, I've yet to see any of you naysayers produce a parody song, if it's so easy.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
That's been a long time rumour, and if it's true, it's a very well kept secret. Kind of like when Mel Brooks kept his name off advertisements for The Elephant Man - he didn't want people to make presumptions, and the same applies with Al. I don't have the kind of connections over on your side of the world to confirm it, but I've talked to a couple big names, and all they would say is "It's true, but..." and usually the but is you have to know someone to get that ball rolling.

I like the guy. His music is what it is, which is more amusing than funny, but he IS a talented musician, and he's very much a showman. I've been told by a few backstage fellas that he learns names and is very approachable and warm. He also, I'm told, can turn his character on like that if your kids are with you, and turn it off just as fast. No Method shit.

I get anyone who isn't in to what he does, or finds him unfunny, but he's not Gene Simmons. He's a real ass dude and one of the good ones.

Plus Alternative Polka was always fun.
I'm not gonna say I have a direct connection to the 90s NY Rap Hip-hop scene, but one of my cousins was very close to a few artists during the early to mid 90s. Even back then as a kid I remember him saying "you know that nigga writes lyrics for rappers?" and never thought about it until later in life when I thought to myself maybe my cousin wasn't blowing smoke up my ass because I can see it easily being the case.

I would love to confirm it with him if I ever met him. I'd honestly swear it to secrecy though out of respect. I just want confirmation is all.

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
I'm not gonna say I have a direct connection to the 90s NY Rap Hip-hop scene, but one of my cousins was very close to a few artists during the early to mid 90s. Even back then as a kid I remember him saying "you know that nigga writes lyrics for rappers?" and never thought about it until later in life when I thought to myself maybe my cousin wasn't blowing smoke up my ass because I can see it easily being the case.

I would love to confirm it with him if I ever met him. I'd honestly swear it to secrecy though out of respect. I just want confirmation is all.

Al is a great lyricist, I would definitely believe it. He keepsevery little minuet detail of the original song but reworks it into an entirely new bit that makes sense. He's not doing ROTGUT plug and play bullshit.

I don't know if he uses autotune, but he generally does a good job of mimicking the vocal style of the artist he's mocking too. He has been doing rap songs exactly like rappers since the early 90s but wouldn't get credit because it's "comedy." He was still fucking getting it done though.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
His childrens TV show was fucking hilarious too. As others have stated UHF was a great movie.

This sounds like a case of one of our resident boomers Sgt. Barnes being humorless.

Remember when O&A tried to pile on and bash Weird Al? They played his songs wanting to trash him and ended up chuckling right along.

Aside from that one My Own Worst Enemy song, I've yet to see any of you naysayers produce a parody song, if it's so easy.
Speaking of O&A they ocassionaly would talk about good movies but their taste is music was dogshit. Most of all Jim.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
Al is a great lyricist, I would definitely believe it. He keepsevery little minuet detail of the original song but reworks it into an entirely new bit that makes sense. He's not doing ROTGUT plug and play bullshit.

I don't know if he uses autotune, but he generally does a good job of mimicking the vocal style of the artist he's mocking too. He has been doing rap songs exactly like rappers since the early 90s but wouldn't get credit because it's "comedy." He was still fucking getting it done though.
I think it was RLM that pointed it out but I'm sure others have as well. If you listen to his music you don't need to know anything about the song he is parodying as it stands on it's own and that's partially the reason why he is so successful all these years later. His music doesn't really age because even if you have no idea what the song is it really doesn't make it less enjoyable.

Easily_Remembered

It's not REALLY Ray Wilson
Definitely a case of right person, right time. Had he debuted just a few years later, I don't think that he would have been as successful. It helped that his rise to fame coincided with the birth of MTV.

Perhaps his biggest asset was the fact that he was a genuinely good person, and didn't burn any bridges with the people whom he worked alongside. That goes a long way in that industry.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
The Erock song parody contest on O&A was funnier than anything (((Weird Al))) ever did. Shaun F was funnier by himself even. "Please allow me to introduce myself...I'm a man....of size....and weight". The Pendulum contest was probably just as good.