Why did Junior try to kill Tony in season 1 and then it was all just forgotten?

Stent

swatchsticker
Keep movin', fella.

the-sopranos-angry.gif

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
This is explained throughout the show. Tony's father was in prison his whole life when he was young. So Uncle Junior raised him and taught him how to play catch and basically was his father. Melfi once asks Tony about his "father growing up" and Tony responds with something like "my father......I remember one time Uncle Junior and I were playing catch". Because Tony instinctively sees Junior as his father and his actual father as a stranger. Junior is his real father figure. Not his maniac father who cuts off a guy's finger over $100. Half of his therapy is about Tony never admitting he hates his father for showing him the mafia life and encouraging him to join.

So when Junior tries to kill Tony he refuses to accept that Junior and his own mother hate him. He puts the blame on anything else that he can. His mother was demented. Junior did it purely over business and it was not personal at all. Tony wants his own family to like him because he carries traditional values and appearances matter greatly to him. He wants to look normal to the world and be respected despite being a murderer and terrible husband and father.

And he also works hard to try to mend the relationship with Junior and even his own mother. Both fail as his mother dies before they can resolve their issues. And Junior shoots Tony out of paranoia and no longer even recognizing Tony as his nephew and by that point Carmela had warned Tony it was dangerous to leave Junior alive. Deep down inside Tony knows Junior and his father were pieces of shit. But to admit that he also has to admit that he himself is a mafia thug loser who behaves the exact same way. He cannot admit that the mafia is an evil institution and that he is immoral.

Christopher also sees Tony as his father as well. And look how well that relationship worked out.

So the point is that Tony always Junior. And Christopher comes to hate Tony. But they keep it bottled up which causes them to be angry and depressed and miserable. Remember Christopher hugging Tony at his kid's baptism? They all hate each other. But they cannot admit it openly.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
This is explained throughout the show. Tony's father was in prison his whole life when he was young. So Uncle Junior raised him and taught him how to play catch and basically was his father. Melfi once asks Tony about his "father growing up" and Tony responds with something like "my father......I remember one time Uncle Junior and I were playing catch". Because Tony instinctively sees Junior as his father and his actual father as a stranger. Junior is his real father figure. Not his maniac father who cuts off a guy's finger over $100. Half of his therapy is about Tony never admitting he hates his father for showing him the mafia life and encouraging him to join.

So when Junior tries to kill Tony he refuses to accept that Junior and his own mother hate him. He puts the blame on anything else that he can. His mother was demented. Junior did it purely over business and it was not personal at all. Tony wants his own family to like him because he carries traditional values and appearances matter greatly to him. He wants to look normal to the world and be respected despite being a murderer and terrible husband and father.

And he also works hard to try to mend the relationship with Junior and even his own mother. Both fail as his mother dies before they can resolve their issues. And Junior shoots Tony out of paranoia and no longer even recognizing Tony as his nephew and by that point Carmela had warned Tony it was dangerous to leave Junior alive. Deep down inside Tony knows Junior and his father were pieces of shit. But to admit that he also has to admit that he himself is a mafia thug loser who behaves the exact same way. He cannot admit that the mafia is an evil institution and that he is immoral.

Christopher also sees Tony as his father as well. And look how well that relationship worked out.

So the point is that Tony always Junior. And Christopher comes to hate Tony. But they keep it bottled up which causes them to be angry and depressed and miserable. Remember Christopher hugging Tony at his kid's baptism? They all hate each other. But they cannot admit it openly.
It's just a plot hole, stupid. They were trying to figure things out during the first season and had a shit ton of different writers.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
It's similar to why Tony was able to beat up Mikey Palmice and staple gun him in the first season -- EVEN THOUGH HE IS A MADE GUY!!!

There isn't a logical explanation -- it was the first season and writers were just trying to figure it out.

After it became more popular, I think they actually got mob advisers and such to make it more "realistic," etc.

In Season 1, everyone was just trying to keep their jobs and get another season inked.

DickShawNitrate

Fuck..Can you say Fuck
Because The Sopranos was poorly written. It only thrived because of a bunch of faggots on the Internet never shut up about how deep and groundbreaking it was.
And tits.
Fuck that show

So so so so your saying that all the awards, all the acknowledgements from peers in the same profession, using techniques that had not been incorporated to that degree, thrived because "people wouldn't shut up about it".

Hey shaggy, grabba bucket n' some Lysol and mop up my tires.

Because The Sopranos was poorly written. It only thrived because of a bunch of faggots on the Internet never shut up about how deep and groundbreaking it was.
And tits.
Fuck that show
WWAW loving a show so much that you watch it so many times that you start to notice more and more flaws till eventually you resent the show.

Last edited: