• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Who is the best female solo artist?

Riccardo Bosi

has janny powers
Forum Clout
I saw Poe live right after Haunted came out and it was still probably the best concert I've ever been to. Really a shame how ownership contracts and legal stuff screwed her over, she's brilliant. Imogen Heap also listens pretty good, she puts on a great live show.
That's crazy how you say it might be the best concert you've been to. I can believe it though. She's unbelievably underrated. I only came across her by chance back in 2020 and it was such a "where has this music been all my life?" moment because it's so contemporary (for the time anyway) but also timeless; kind of a mix between the grungey stuff that was going on plus the trip hop stuff like Massive Attack or Portishead.

She's great, her voice is beautiful and she's quirky. An album in 1995 and 2000 and she's done. She was pretty much fucked by the AOL/Time Warner merger just like WCW was. Crazy shit.

WheelchairFred

Bug bawx?
Forum Clout
That's crazy how you say it might be the best concert you've been to. I can believe it though. She's unbelievably underrated. I only came across her by chance back in 2020 and it was such a "where has this music been all my life?" moment because it's so contemporary (for the time anyway) but also timeless; kind of a mix between the grungey stuff that was going on plus the trip hop stuff like Massive Attack or Portishead.

She's great, her voice is beautiful and she's quirky. An album in 1995 and 2000 and she's done. She was pretty much fucked by the AOL/Time Warner merger just like WCW was. Crazy shit.
Apparently her brother's companion book House of Leaves is also great; never read it. I got way into that late 90s/early 00s trip hop with female vocals sound, groups like Thievery Corp, Zero 7, Lamb, early Sneaker Pimps. Something about Poe, though, really set her apart. She could have been everything Lady Gaga skyrocketed into (before turning into an awful cringe parody of herself). Hello was a good, catchy listen, but Haunted remains a masterpiece beginning to end.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
Apparently her brother's companion book House of Leaves is also great; never read it. I got way into that late 90s/early 00s trip hop with female vocals sound, groups like Thievery Corp, Zero 7, Lamb, early Sneaker Pimps. Something about Poe, though, really set her apart. She could have been everything Lady Gaga skyrocketed into (before turning into an awful cringe parody of herself). Hello was a good, catchy listen, but Haunted remains a masterpiece beginning to end.
Poe's brother is Mark Danielewski?! That's a cool bit of trivia.
I went into it expecting bullshit, but House of Leaves was interesting.

Smeckler's Powder

Sweet powder eases the pain
Forum Clout
PJ's Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea is a perfect album. A lot of her albums were okay but uneven, with a few real bangers and a lot of clunkers, especially later stuff like Uh Huh Her and Let England Shake, but with Stories you can play it from beginning to end and have a real experience. Poe's Haunted and Tom Wait's Mule Variations have that quality, too. They transport you.

Always meant to check out more of her shit based on "Big Exit," what a jam.

Sue Lightning

IS SHE TALKING ABOUT ME?
Forum Clout
Notice how every woman posted in this thread just makes “good music”. Shit you listen to in the car on your commute and bob your faggot head to. How many of them make art? There is no female equivalent to a Miles Davis, or Bob Dylan, or Pink Floyd, or Nine Inch Nails, or Aphex Twin. They can’t even do rap correctly.

RobertMewler

Forum Clout
Notice how every woman posted in this thread just makes “good music”. Shit you listen to in the car on your commute and bob your faggot head to. How many of them make art? There is no female equivalent to a Miles Davis, or Bob Dylan, or Pink Floyd, or Nine Inch Nails, or Aphex Twin. They can’t even do rap correctly.
Wrong. Kate Bush makes art.

Edit: Because you'll probably ask for examples:

Last edited: