When Did Howard Go Bad?

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Any time Robin would get the boots put to her for being fucking nuts would be great radio. She also cut Eric the midget off when he was going on some gay tangent correcting her about American idol by saying "who the fuck even cares" and it legitimately made me loff out loud

Robin would sincerely talk shit to Beetlejuice's face about how dumb he was. She would make smug comments about mentally challenged people laughing in their face.

I loved when she would ignore the guest and talk past them to Howard, sometimes even talk about them as if they weren't in the room with them. With that fake elegance and aristocrat voice. She is right up there with any classic shock jock.

DMAN

I believe he still claims podcasts are shit and nobody listens to them. For years he said this and how they were a fad and how hes bigger since he’s on Sirius XM pay service. He knows he’s an old fart but acts like he’s still this top guy when nobody really cares about him. His “interviews” barely ever make any news because he keeps interviewing the same people over and over. The only time I ever hear him causing a stir is when boomers on Facebook get angry over what Fox News reported him saying about vaccines, Trump, or something related.

Yeah it's called controlling the narrative. Again you're taking him at his word and not at all looking at it from his devious marketing obsessed lens

Dummy Gaynuts

Pookie-pie water-pig
Robin would sincerely talk shit to Beetlejuice's face about how dumb he was. She would make smug comments about mentally challenged people laughing in their face.

I loved when she would ignore the guest and talk past them to Howard, sometimes even talk about them as if they weren't in the room with them. With that fake elegance and aristocrat voice. She is right up there with any classic shock jock.
She also caused the infamous "Bro" fight between Howard and Artie by being a shit-stirring cunt right off the bat

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Reading this thread is so nostalgic. Stern was very influential. Other radio markets would steal his bits and he would call them out.

I saw Stern's WWOR show and even got some radio tapes as a teenager, but when he finally hit my market was right around the time he attacked a local host in like Kansas City or something. A week of "Tom Bernard is a fraud!" and he'd just eviscerate these guys.

But Stern got lost.

Ari Shaffir made an offhand comment on Rogan or something and it got back to Howard. This was in 2015 or so. He attacked Ari Shaffir a bit basically saying that Shaffir was a nobody. Whether or not that's true, Shaffir posted a response on Youtube that showed him standing in front a billboard in Hollywood that was promoting his Comedy Central show. I thought Ari won the battle because it showed that Stern was out of touch.

Ari made the video private, but you can see a still of it here:

Anyhow, compared to how he would tear up Kathie Lee and Rosie O'Donnell, Howard definitely declined precipitously.
Howard acted like he hated Hollywood types but always wanted to be accepted by them. Especially in the later Sirius years he barely even targeted celebs anymore which he was once famous for. I think the last celebrity he trashed was Lena Dunham for being naked and gross on her show (I think he said she looked like Jonah Hill) and it made the news and he quickly apologized to Lena. That was the end of stern for me, he was like begging forgiveness from dumb Lena because at the time she was a thing and Stern learned he has to kiss the ring. At this point to stay in good graces with his Hollywood crowd he’s down to only being aloud to make fun of Trump, republicans, and OJ. I don’t think he even makes fun of Oprah anymore.

Last edited:

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Fuck that, Robin was perfect for him. She was such a molested little asshole who had no problem piling on other people with mean-spirited shit.

She could be annoying, but I never understood calling her a hole. Sometimes she was more brutal than any of the men. And she was always the first to call Howard out for lying or saying something stupid.

She was the only one who could.

I still don't get it - Fred came first, and stood by Howard's side when he was and had nothing. Robin came along in DC, as his news person, and he was making a name for himself. However, unlike Fred, Robin had potential for a personality, and she showed it.

Annoying? Sure, many times so. A hole? Fuck no, Robin could be crueler than ANYONE, even peak Howard. She had everyone scared in that old studio, from the interns up to her own peers. When she went after Howard, he never attacked her with the vitriol he did Jackie and Fred - the two guys who wrote his lines (Jackie) and wrote his bits (Jackie AND Fred). Robin was his co-host and his only equal, and it's still that to this day.

Just wild.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
She was the only one who could.

I still don't get it - Fred came first, and stood by Howard's side when he was and had nothing. Robin came along in DC, as his news person, and he was making a name for himself. However, unlike Fred, Robin had potential for a personality, and she showed it.

Annoying? Sure, many times so. A hole? Fuck no, Robin could be crueler than ANYONE, even peak Howard. She had everyone scared in that old studio, from the interns up to her own peers. When she went after Howard, he never attacked her with the vitriol he did Jackie and Fred - the two guys who wrote his lines (Jackie) and wrote his bits (Jackie AND Fred). Robin was his co-host and his only equal, and it's still that to this day.

Just wild.
I remember years ago Benjy brought up Robin getting fat again out of nowhere and I don’t think they turned his mic back on for a while. I know they always acted like Benjy was on “thin ice” for being late but I’m sure Stern tore into him off air because he never said anything like that again and that was the true “thin ice” reason. She has always been untouchable. I think Sal once mentioned her failed talk show pilot that didn’t get picked up and was chased off quickly because she mentioned she was doing it and they never said it wasn’t picked up, just acted like it never happened.

I’d love to know the delay they had on phone calls post 2010 because a bad call would almost never get through. I remember years ago like 2015-16 hearing a live show and a called had been on for a bit and mentioned Bob Levy and stern quickly hung up and said “fucking asshole mother fucker” and the whole call was cut from the replay. Now it’s obvious they don’t let real calls through.

Last edited:

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
I remember years ago Benjy brought up Robin getting fat again out of nowhere and I don’t think they turned his mic back on for a while. I know they always acted like Benjy was on “thin ice” for being late but I’m sure Stern tore into him off air because he never said anything like that again. She has always been untouchable.

He's always called Robin his princess. I don't think he ever even gave his own wife such platitudes, even with that awful movie.

And Benjy is set for life with me just for going to the Port Authority and reciting the final monologue to Footloose with no one realizing it.

Stern did Seinfeld's cars and coffee show a few years back and he came across like a complete lunatic. He was terrified over being out in public, he was badgering Jerry about going to therapy, he wouldn't order anything other than hot water and when Jerry offered to split a brownie with Howie he was mortified, like it'd kill him if he ate it. Then they walked down the street to a small grocery store and Stern was marveling over how nothing "bad" happened. He's clearly mentally unbalanced, and a giant faggot too.
I always remember this because Colin Quinn made a joke about it on one of the Stern show roasts, but like 15 years ago Stern was walking around NYC with his second better wife and some homeless guy spit on them. I think he's been extra fucking paranoid about being out in public since then.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
He's always called Robin his princess. I don't think he ever even gave his own wife such platitudes, even with that awful movie.

And Benjy is set for life with me just for going to the Port Authority and reciting the final monologue to Footloose with no one realizing it.
That was great, Benjy had his moments here and there. I’d love to know the list of people that can’t be mentioned on that show now since it’s obvious the calls are scripted so nothing they don’t like gets through. I’m guessing it’s Artie, Gilbert, Pat Cooper, Bob Levy, Hanzi, Elegant Eliot, Stuttering John, Scott The Engineer, Crazy Cabbie, Double A, Kenneth Keith Kalenbach, etc.

Even a lot of the KC material can’t be mentioned since it was all about calling him gay / homo / fag (which is how Richard Christy got a job)

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
I still don't know the difference between Scott Salem and Scott Depace
Scott Salem was Scott The Engineer, a regular on the show for decades until his wife got sick and died from cancer couple years ago (not mentioned on the show)
I know Artie Lange (I think before his nose exploded) did a benefit show for Scott’s wife and their was some talk that Howard got pissed about it because it had people like Artie and Stuttering John taking on podcasts about how Stern is cheap and barely pays his staff, especially those that had been with the show forever. From what I’ve read Scott started dating some new girl that he brought to the Sirius holiday party and she caused some trouble so Scott was fired and now is another previous staff member that can never be mentioned.

Imager

Gen Z Boss And A Mini
Scott Salem was Scott The Engineer, a regular on the show for decades until his wife got sick and died from cancer couple years ago (not mentioned on the show)
And Howard did nothing for fucking Scott Salem.

From what I gather Scott was pretty loyal and he made the jump from FM to Satellite with Howard, but still gets treated like a piece of shit.

I don't get why people in Howard's position just can't be good to their team. I'm not saying that he needs to be besties with everyone, but fuck man, some guy who has worked with you for 20+ years and his wife dies of cancer and you don't just tell him to do what he has to do and help him out?

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
And Howard did nothing for fucking Scott Salem.

From what I gather Scott was pretty loyal and he made the jump from FM to Satellite with Howard, but still gets treated like a piece of shit.

I don't get why people in Howard's position just can't be good to their team. I'm not saying that he needs to be besties with everyone, but fuck man, some guy who has worked with you for 20+ years and his wife dies of cancer and you don't just tell him to do what he has to do and help him out?
Yeah Artie doing a benefit for her medical bills really got Howard mad, I don’t Scott even asked but Artie heard she was sick. That started the end for Scott who had given Howard great material over the years. I’d really love to know who is all on the “Do Not Mention” list related to previous guests / staff members.

DMAN

She was his key to race humor. Everybody says it, but I think she earned her role. The story (according to him) is every other 'straight man' news anchor they tried pairing him with was stiff and gave him nothing.

Whereas Robin brought banter and sincerely entertained the dumb shit he would say, for long stretches of time.

He was her meal ticket of course, and she is his N-Pass. But people try to make it sound like a bad thing...
She saw early that he was trying to get something going, and went for the ride with like 50 years of loyalty.
It just so happens she was the right color to soften the blow in theory. Many didn't even know she was black until the TV show.

Grew up listening to the cunt, I can't hate her... or her goofy witch doctor remedies that seem to have backfired.

I’d really love to know who is all on the “Do Not Mention” list related to previous guests / staff members.

The Gilbert Gottfried thing is tragic. The guy is still alive and could be partaking in the silliest, most obscene kind of spoken word comedy and it's just never happening again. Those dumb ugly greasy Cum Town faggots are doing like 1/10th of what Stern and Gilbert would come up with together.

Howard isn't just obsessed with marketing to a woke crowd, he's also personally insulted by Gilbert spitting on the wall, the cupcakes, and he felt Gilbert trashed him in his book. Stern of course sees himself as Sinatra, so he has Gilbert on for a final swan song appearance then disappears him. Gilbert's last time on the show was almost a retrospective.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
She was his key to race humor. Everybody says it, but I think she earned her role. The story (according to him) is every other 'straight man' news anchor they tried pairing him with was stiff and gave him nothing.

Whereas Robin brought banter and sincerely entertained the dumb shit he would say, for long stretches of time.

He was her meal ticket of course, and she is his N-Pass. But people try to make it sound like a bad thing...
She saw early that he was trying to get something going, and went for the ride with like 50 years of loyalty.
It just so happens she was the right color to soften the blow in theory. Many didn't even know she was black until the TV show.

Grew up listening to the cunt, I can't hate her... or her goofy witch doctor remedies that seem to have backfired.

The Gilbert Gottfried thing is tragic. The guy is still alive and could be partaking in the silliest, most obscene kind of spoken word comedy and it's just never happening again. Those dumb ugly greasy Cum Town faggots are doing like 1/10th of what Stern and Gilbert would come up with together.

Howard isn't just obsessed with marketing to a woke crowd, he's also personally insulted by Gilbert spitting on the wall, the cupcakes, and he felt Gilbert trashed him in his book. Stern of course sees himself as Sinatra, so he has Gilbert on for a final swan song appearance then disappears him. Gilbert's last time on the show was almost a retrospective.
The Gilbert appearances on the HS news are some of the funniest things ever on radio. Gold from Gilbert!

The Gilbert appearances on the HS news are some of the funniest things ever on radio. Gold from Gilbert!
One of my favorite appearances of Gilbert Gottfried on the news, was when him and Howard discussed Liberace and Paul Lynde. Totally unrelated, but this arguably was the funniest thing Gilbert Gottfried ever did on Howard Stern. It's the famous "Holocaust Hoopla" call when Amy Heckerling's assistant calls in about Gilbert goofing on her parents who were in (((The Shoah))).

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
One of my favorite appearances of Gilbert Gottfried on the news, was when him and Howard discussed Liberace and Paul Lynde. Totally unrelated, but this arguably was the funniest thing Gilbert Gottfried ever did on Howard Stern. It's the famous "Holocaust Hoopla" call when Amy Heckerling's assistant calls in about Gilbert goofing on her parents who were in (((The Shoah))).

I could listen to every Gilbert appearance on stern on a loop and never get bored. Especially now it’s hilarious since Gilbert would say every inappropriate thing (on FM radio) without issue. Even Stern trying to talk to the real Gilbert was funny. Stern would ask about what cartoon voice he was doing on a new project and Gilbert would say “I play a little kike!” Is amazing. My favorite Gilbert bit on Stern was when they riffed on the Grammys in the 90s. Gilbert goofing on Whitney Houston’s gospel shit with his “I wanna thank Alvin and the Chipmunks!” Always makes me laugh

I could listen to every Gilbert appearance on stern on a loop and never get bored. Especially now it’s hilarious since Gilbert would say every inappropriate thing (on FM radio) without issue. Even Stern trying to talk to the real Gilbert was funny. Stern would ask about what cartoon voice he was doing on a new project and Gilbert would say “I play a little kike!” Is amazing. My favorite Gilbert bit on Stern was when they riffed on the Grammys in the 90s. Gilbert goofing on Whitney Houston’s gospel shit with his “I wanna thank Alvin and the Chipmunks!” Always makes me laugh
I concur with your thoughts regarding Gilbert. Do you remember when Gilbert would goof on Jackie Mason?