‘Sidehackers’ MST3K (1991)

G

Your colourful disease insults aside - the reboot was awful.

They got a writers room about twice the size of the old Best Brains days, and most were celebrity fans. What resulted was episodes with no room to breathe, constant jokes where most don't land, and everyone trying way, way too hard.

It really felt like Joel was so gung ho to bring the bloody thing back once Shout Factory bought it off of Jim Mallon - and you can look into their history, Jim and Joel have very bad blood - that Hodgson lost the whole point of why the old show worked: it was very clearly made on the cheap, with stuff lying around, through creativity and effort, and a very small group of writers who did multiple jobs making every episode, including being actors when they weren't.

It's the high point of Midwest sensibilities. I've seen this from the American fan, hearing about his life and how he lives, cultivates his friendships and his own creativity. A good American lad, and I always got the same vibe from Mike Nelson and that crew. But I pushed through those two Netflix seasons, and none of that heart was there.

And I've already heard the mess that is their newest Kickstarter-funded season, with their own faulty app. I'm sure Jonah still isn't that good, but I have to admit, the gal and her crew? I've seen some of her stuff. She's not too bad.
Yeah this hits it really well. The reboot is charmless. Charmless cardboard. It’s like mystery science theater for Reddit.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Yeah this hits it really well. The reboot is charmless. Charmless cardboard. It’s like mystery science theater for Reddit.

Like I said, the gal isn't bad. The bot voices aren't great, but she's enthusiastic.

Honestly, she reminds me of how Joel used to be. I have to be in a certain mood for most Joel episodes, but he had good stuff. I can tell that she tries, I have to give her that.

Jonah, I just could never take to. I sense no identity from him. While he's not quite as laid back as Joel, he's also not as harsh as Mike. It's like I'm waiting for him, after Crow and Servo throw out their lines insulting the film, to go "*sighs* It's a tough one, man."

G

Not one of you has mentioned Pumaman, Ivasion of the Neptune Men, or Danger: Diabolik yet? Goddamn philistines.
Twitch has a channel running MST3K movies 24/7, along with some Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff.
I came into it late, too, my first episode was Time Chasers, but I was all in from there on out.

I've been to a few Rifftrax Live shows where they simulcast from one theater to a bunch of others, just the week before last the Mrs. and I saw them do Return of Swamp Thing.

Yes, that was a Joel episode, I wanna say season 5.

He had good taste, the chick who took some chaw was hot as fuck.
My favorite pick I haven’t mentioned, ‘Diabolik’: [MEDIA=youtube]AYo2vpzfvj8[/MEDIA]

Will Tate

Oven March

They got a writers room about twice the size of the old Best Brains days, and most were celebrity fans. What resulted was episodes with no room to breathe, constant jokes where most don't land, and everyone trying way, way too hard.

It really felt like Joel was so gung ho to bring the bloody thing back once Shout Factory bought it off of Jim Mallon - and you can look into their history, Jim and Joel have very bad blood - that Hodgson lost the whole point of why the old show worked: it was very clearly made on the cheap, with stuff lying around, through creativity and effort, and a very small group of writers who did multiple jobs making every episode, including being actors when they weren't.

It's the high point of Midwest sensibilities. I've seen this from the American fan, hearing about his life and how he lives, cultivates his friendships and his own creativity. A good American lad, and I always got the same vibe from Mike Nelson and that crew. But I pushed through those two Netflix seasons, and none of that heart was there.

And I've already heard the mess that is their newest Kickstarter-funded season, with their own faulty app. I'm sure Jonah still isn't that good, but I have to admit, the gal and her crew? I've seen some of her stuff. She's not too bad.
I like the Netflix seasons, but I don't love them like I did the original run, for mainly for your reasons here. The DIY shoe-string budget was a huge part of the charm. I can't bring myself to hate it, it gave me some chuckles and Joel is involved this time around, and in this day and age DIY goes a fuck of a lot farther than it did back in the day with video editing software and all that but even still, the whole thing felt too "corporate' to me, for lack of a better term.
Like @Dummy Gaynuts said, the riffing on the movies themselves wasn't horrible, but the host segments were tacked on and out of place. I can recognize the work put into them--in Reptilicus they wrote a whole rap about monsters around the world, I'll give credit where it's due when it comes to the songwriting there; I guess Jonah Ray is a musician so a lot of his contributions to the writing came from that, but, in the end, Ray is right, "try hard" is the only way to describe it. I get the sense Joel wanted to keep his thing going, but all the people around him just wanted to trample over each other to impress him.

G

All great points. Joel was all about a reboot but it’s like they say all passion no streets smarts.

More to the point I want to have sex with your girlfriend. It’s actually beside the point but I just kind of think it needed to be said.

Dummy Gaynuts

Pookie-pie water-pig
bite_f_600x600.jpg

G

Given the general cynicism of the posters here, I'm surprised to see anything even slightly positive about the reboot. But I haven't seen it, so I can't actually judge it beyond my inital impression. I think one of the problems with there even being a reboot is the original show was perfect for its time and place. You couldn't easily see a lot of the movies they'd riff on. Since the advent of DVDs and now with the ease of streaming, it's more satisfying to have friends over, watch some turd of a movie and crack off-color jokes rather than having some cookie cutter nerds trying to pimp the nostalgia of a show that was way better before they got involved.

What are some good RiffTrax movies? I remember liking Plan 9 but their riffs on Independence Day were kinda underwhelming.

Will Tate

Oven March
Given the general cynicism of the posters here, I'm surprised to see anything even slightly positive about the reboot. But I haven't seen it, so I can't actually judge it beyond my inital impression. I think one of the problems with there even being a reboot is the original show was perfect for its time and place. You couldn't easily see a lot of the movies they'd riff on. Since the advent of DVDs and now with the ease of streaming, it's more satisfying to have friends over, watch some turd of a movie and crack off-color jokes rather than having some cookie cutter nerds trying to pimp the nostalgia of a show that was way better before they got involved.

What are some good RiffTrax movies? I remember liking Plan 9 but their riffs on Independence Day were kinda underwhelming.
There was an old movie my mom recorded on VHS on the Disney Channel when I was growing up that I watched a lot called Jack the Giant Killer that Rifftrax did, I enjoyed that one getting savaged. Hillbillies in a Haunted House was also a good one, if nothing else Joi Lansing's enormous tits are there to gawk at on a cold set. They're hit or miss when it comes to the big blockbusters like Dark Knight or Jurassic Park.
If you have Amazon Prime there are a bunch of RT movies for free, they revisit a couple of MST3K movies, Time Chasers, Manos, a few others.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!

House on Haunted Hill is great, but I love Vincent Price. They also did their own version of Time Chasers, and I'd call it as good as the MST3K version.

God I need to sleep.

Oh yeah! That is a good one.
Deadly Bees is criminally underrated, mostly because it's never been in circulation since it was on the air.

Mike guy, but Joel had a few solid episodes. "Painted Hills" (the Lassie episode) was a strong effort. Essentially with Joel it followed that each of his seasons got better. Now that I think about it, you could say that for the whole show probably. The Sci-fi era was fantastic.

G

Some bastard had final sacrifice removed from youtube with a false copyright.
Laserblasts pretty good too
Anyone know where to watch the Final Sacrifice episode? The friggin DVD is out of print and like he said, some homo had it taken down.

Edit: Never mind. Apparently the douche that produced the original movie files copyright strikes on it every time it gets uploaded. Here's a link I found: [MEDIA=googledrive]1FracdFDEDmuMYsXa74591FIhInfXyHtL[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Like I said, the gal isn't bad. The bot voices aren't great, but she's enthusiastic.

Honestly, she reminds me of how Joel used to be. I have to be in a certain mood for most Joel episodes, but he had good stuff. I can tell that she tries, I have to give her that.

Jonah, I just could never take to. I sense no identity from him. While he's not quite as laid back as Joel, he's also not as harsh as Mike. It's like I'm waiting for him, after Crow and Servo throw out their lines insulting the film, to go "*sighs* It's a tough one, man."
Yeah, she’s all right.

G

Star Wars holiday special is incredible. It starts a little slow, I said this in another comment, but there are too many jokes about Elton John in the first 20 minutes or so, but after that it’s just so goddamn funny. Incredibly funny. The version they have on YouTube is neutered because it takes out most of the commercials if not all of them and the commercials had so many good riffs.

Guy from Harlem is terrific, Miami Connection, Samurai Cop, Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is one of the very best, I would probably recommend most of their Christmas catalog like Santa’s Summer House, their new riffs on old MST3K classics Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Santa Clause, I would also recommend ROTOR and Honor and Glory.

I mean there’s just so many. A lot of it depends on your taste in movies. For example, I love it when they riff 80s action movies and their holiday movies. Some people prefer 90s movies, or 70s movies, or cheesy action flicks, etc.

There are a bunch of free ones on Amazon, and Tubi (free with ads). They have some movies on the YouTube channel that are full riffs, but as I said with the Star Wars holiday special, sometimes some of the best parts are cut out.

There are YouTube clips of a lot of the commercials from the Star Wars holiday special riffed by Rifftrax that you might want to check out if you want to watch the Holiday Special and want to see the commercials missing from the YouTube version.

For real though, go to Tubi or Amazon and binge on the free ones.

I am a huge Rifftrax fan and even I will bail out within 15 minutes if a riff isn’t up my alley. Because I can try another one and it might hit the exact spot. Once you’ve watched enough of them you’ll know which ones you’re looking for because they seem to riff differently for each genre.

Certainly try Santa Claus and the ice cream bunny. I’m pretty sure that one is on their YouTube/Tubi/Amazon.

It’s among their most famous.

But if you don’t like that one, it might not be in the genre you enjoy. Try another genre and you’ll find something you like. There are literally hundreds of RiffTrax available. They’re about $10 a pop for a full movie, one dollar for a short, but try all the free ones first. There’s plenty out there between all the different platforms. Really, there’s dozens and dozens of free ones out there. Once you figure out what genre you enjoy the most, you’ll know what to search for if you want to buy some.