‘Sidehackers’ MST3K (1991)

G

Mike > Joel (not even close)

Some great episodes not yet mentioned: (all Mike)

"Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders," "Touch of Satan," "Devil Fish," "I Accuse My Parents," "The Beast of Yucca Flats" and "The Incredible Melting Man"
Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders is fucking bananas, dude. It’s so fucking out there it’s funny even if you don’t want to laugh.

Will Tate

Oven March
Not one of you has mentioned Pumaman, Ivasion of the Neptune Men, or Danger: Diabolik yet? Goddamn philistines.
Twitch has a channel running MST3K movies 24/7, along with some Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff.
I came into it late, too, my first episode was Time Chasers, but I was all in from there on out.
Rifftrax is pretty good, and the blokes seem to make a good living with it.

I came into MST3K late, but Mike Kevin and Bill were my group. Still are.
I've been to a few Rifftrax Live shows where they simulcast from one theater to a bunch of others, just the week before last the Mrs. and I saw them do Return of Swamp Thing.
Was Magic Sword watched on an episode? I grew up with Mike episodes and ended up discovering Joel later. I prefer the Mike ones but Joel had some funny ones too.
Yes, that was a Joel episode, I wanna say season 5.

WWAWD Crenshaw from boggy creek 2

View attachment 63535
He had good taste, the chick who took some chaw was hot as fuck.

G

Rifftrax is pretty good, and the blokes seem to make a good living with it.

I came into MST3K late, but Mike Kevin and Bill were my group. Still are.

Yeah the Mike era was the best, just about every episode of that last season was hilarious. There were one or two clunkers I think. Rifftrax is awesome. It’s hit or miss, but the funniest ones are better than any episode of mystery science. Their riff of the Star Wars Holiday special is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. It starts a little slow and there’s too many jokes about Elton John but it’s so so good.

Anyone that wants to watch it without paying for it I think they put it up on their YouTube channel. Unfortunately, some of the best stuff is cut out, many of their best jokes were from the old commercials that were on the tape. The commercials were so funny. Guy from Harlem might be free on their YouTube channel also and it’s pretty funny. A little overrated but pretty funny.

G

Want to take this moment to say I never saw one second of the faggot ass reboot with the redditor host and the wife-icer. It looked like AIDS...in space. Nice replacing the average Joe midwestern charm of the original with the staff of Buzzfeed, stupid.
mystery-science-theater-3000-reboot-cast-social-featured.jpg

Dummy Gaynuts

Pookie-pie water-pig
Want to take this moment to say I never saw one second of the faggot ass reboot with the redditor host and the wife-icer. It looked like AIDS...in space. Nice replacing the average Joe midwestern charm of the original with the staff of Buzzfeed, stupid.View attachment 63640
The actual riffing was forgettable but not awful, but the premise was obviously molten diarrhea. Also I understand that Patton "Lee Harvey" Oswalt assassinated his chubby Elizabeth Moss wife

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Want to take this moment to say I never saw one second of the faggot ass reboot with the redditor host and the wife-icer. It looked like AIDS...in space. Nice replacing the average Joe midwestern charm of the original with the staff of Buzzfeed, stupid.View attachment 63640

Your colourful disease insults aside - the reboot was awful.

They got a writers room about twice the size of the old Best Brains days, and most were celebrity fans. What resulted was episodes with no room to breathe, constant jokes where most don't land, and everyone trying way, way too hard.

It really felt like Joel was so gung ho to bring the bloody thing back once Shout Factory bought it off of Jim Mallon - and you can look into their history, Jim and Joel have very bad blood - that Hodgson lost the whole point of why the old show worked: it was very clearly made on the cheap, with stuff lying around, through creativity and effort, and a very small group of writers who did multiple jobs making every episode, including being actors when they weren't.

It's the high point of Midwest sensibilities. I've seen this from the American fan, hearing about his life and how he lives, cultivates his friendships and his own creativity. A good American lad, and I always got the same vibe from Mike Nelson and that crew. But I pushed through those two Netflix seasons, and none of that heart was there.

And I've already heard the mess that is their newest Kickstarter-funded season, with their own faulty app. I'm sure Jonah still isn't that good, but I have to admit, the gal and her crew? I've seen some of her stuff. She's not too bad.