Patrick Tomlinson Swatted!

That's surprising they've gone with the Norm angle.

The Daily Mail approach to journalism is to pretty much do whatever the fuck they like. And the political angle makes more sense than a single tweet about the guy off of weekend update. A lot more sense.

"A political advocate against the far-right extremists who are currently stripping the former colony of basic human rights for women and people of colour, Patrick Tomlinson knew his brave stances and tireless work would land him in trouble. But he never imagined it would be the POLICE who would come knocking at his door looking for vengence"

Instead they make him look like some random nobody in a flyover state who pissed off the wrong people by expressing a rude and incorrect view about a deceased comedian in a moment of poor judgement.

Which is in fact 99% of the story. :rolleyes:

"Throughout this time, Tomlinson’s antagonists have gathered online on a message board ostensibly devoted to fans of a now-defunct shock radio show but that in reality now functions as a forum to obsessively troll and dox the writer and his family while cheerfully engaging in extremely misogynistic, racist, and homophobic behavior."

"“Hot take: I’ve never found Norm Macdonald funny and was pretty sure all my comedy friends who did were either nuts or screwing with me,” Tomlinson tweeted that day.

Within three days, Tomlinson found his then-verified Twitter account @stealthygeek suspended after a massive number of reports were filed claiming he violated Twitter’s rules. He would later find out that a Reddit community of 30,000 subscribers dedicated to the canceled Opie and Anthony Show had taken credit for his Twitter account being banned, with users boasting that they coordinated a mass reporting attack because of the author’s anti-Macdonald tweet.

Though the Opie and Anthony Show had been gone for four years by this time (after co-host Anthony Cumia was fired for unapologetically racist commentary), the subreddit continued to embrace the spirit of the “shock jock” show and its transgressive fan community. By 2018, this largely revolved around launching trollish attacks on liberals who irritated them online."

"“They use the site to coordinate new attacks, execute, and then brag about the crimes and suffering they've inflicted,” Tomlinson noted in a Twitter thread this month about OnA Forum’s harassment campaign. “Their state[d] goal in all of this, much like their ideological cousins on now dead Kiwifarms, is to destroy my career, marriage, and drive me to suicide.”

With users of the site continuing to share Tomlinson’s private information and dox his friends and family, the author and his wife eventually filed a complaint with the FBI in April 2020 regarding the harassment. A month later, the couple was swatted—the first of six times."