Is the wire overrated?

Uncle J’s Sink Emporium

You gotta pump those sink numbers up, funster.
Yeah I think a bit. The dockworker shit was mostly boring and I didn’t find the kid or his dopey cousin to be very deep or believable characters. Plus not one of them had a baltimore accent. And the newspaper storyline in the last season sucked.

And Cutty, fuck him. Fucking useless character that they devoted way too much time to and his story went fucking nowhere.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
The show is not really realistic in terms of police procedures. They make all of their cases by Bubbles magically witnessing every single thing that they need. Bubbles buys his heroin from the exact same crew that Kima his police contact is working by sheer coincidence. The day his friend Johnny gets beaten up by Bodie is the day that Kima is assigned to watch Bodie by pure coincidence. Bubbles points out the names of the entire Barksdale drug crew and despite being a street drug addict is like Rain Man when identifying drug suspects and knows literally every single aspect of the drug game. Bubbles puts the hat on Bird to help the police make the arrest. Bubbles just magically happens to witness Omar rob the stash in the pit gives Omar's contact information to Kima. Without Bubbles magically being there for every single event the season falls apart.

Season two Bubbles finds Omar for McNulty and Bunk. And even that is by pure chance where Omar's women hear Bubbles asking around for Omar. Bubbles also witnesses Barksdale and Proposition Joe's crews fighting and informs Kima of that which was a pure coincidence that he witnessed that. There is literally no reason for him to be there at the towers, other than the writing being poor. Bubbles only buys heroin from areas where something highly relevant to the plot is about to happen just so he can witness it and bring it to police. In the first season he buys in the pit right as things are blowing up there. In season two he buys from the towers right as things are breaking down there out of sheer coincidence.

Season three Bubbles just HAPPENS again to magically run into Marlo at the start of the season. When the police need to monitor the burner phones what do they do? They magically show the pictures of the couple buying the phones and Bubbles sells them the phones that are already wiretapped.

Season four Bubbles just happens yet again to be in the same school as Prez.

Yet in season five....a season about homeless killings.....Kim and McNulty despite working the homeless killer case (one of the dumbest storylines ever in a major drama) literally not once touch base with Bubbles to help them understand things. Yet some moron reporter figures out that Bubbles knows the street pretty well.

The real Bubbles was named 'Possum' and was a police snitch who died of AIDS.

Bubbles calling Herc and telling him that he saw Marlo's drug courier taking a re-up of heroin. But actually it was just a random preacher. And Herc beating the preacher and tossing his possessions in the street is funny every single time. How Bubbles got revenge on Herc by costing him his job.

FamilyDollar

Welcome to our establishment
And the newspaper storyline in the last season sucked.
I never understood the hate for the final season tbqhwy. I kind of bought the whole McNulty self destruction thing. The show did a good job closing out Marlo's character imo.

What do I know. I got my coffee, I'm happy to live another day, let the muckity muck jews debate media.

CumiaPoodle

Brazil sent me a wife with a dick ☺️
I never understood the hate for the final season tbqhwy. I kind of bought the whole McNulty self destruction thing. The show did a good job closing out Marlo's character imo.

What do I know. I got my coffee, I'm happy to live another day, let the muckity muck jews debate media.
I fucking hate Jamie hector which made me hate Marlo. Idk if he was written super unrealistic or this retard can’t act.

I saw everyone glowing about it on here so I decided to watch it. Told my gal "This show is supposed to be great, let's watch it."

We lasted about 20 minutes. It was just ooga booga nigger shit. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know - didn't watch far enough I guess. But it was niggery. Does it ever get less niggery?

Jesse Ventura

Access to the debates
I like it but it is overrated imo. None of the cops were particularly interesting characters to me. The chick who plays Kima is just awful. Every time she is on screen with her ugly dyke gf I fast forward. The black skeletor looking guy was a total bore. The redhead chick is ugly and terrible as well. I couldn’t stand how various men lusted over her and she is a thin-haired dud. I also hated Jamie Hector as some other have said.

I thought the arcs of Stringer, Avon, Proposition Joe, and Bodie were all well done.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
I never understood the hate for the final season tbqhwy. I kind of bought the whole McNulty self destruction thing.
The Sopranos did the whole self destruction thing with Tony in the last seasons. He starts gambling and drinking and using drugs. Blows up his marriage and family including driving his son to suicide. Destroys his own mafia family with endless poor decisions. And in the end has zero allies except for Patsy who is bitter of his twin being murdered by Tony's orders. The Shield did it just as well with the two main characters ending one with murder suicide of his entire family and the other being abandoned by all friends and family and being alone as a rat and hated by the entire law enforcement world.

McNulty doesn't even self destruct. He becomes like a walking cloud of toxic gas that turns everyone around him into retards. His entire fake serial killer thing is known by Bunk, Freemon, and Sydnor and they go along with it. And him using serial killer funds to work other cases is known by the entire department and they all go along with it. By the end of the show the mayor, who becomes governor, even knows about it and goes along with it. And this is from a show where in seasons one through four every single thing leaks to the press. From witnesses being killed, to Hamsterdam, to grand jury testimony.

If they made McNulty drink himself into being fired it would have been fine. Or have him run an illegal wiretap into Marlo that was fine. But the serial killer angle was ridiculous. And how they did it was beyond sloppy.

I thought season 2 was unfairly lambasted. I liked how Sobotka had to constantly revise his values to "help" the stevedores, growing resentful towards his retard nephew and son, bullying his lobbyist friend into action and being ultimately powerless against the city who wanted to build houses for rich people instead of helping the docks. Felt relevant.

However, the ending arc for some characters, like Sydnor being the new Mcnulty and Michael the new Omar was stupid.
Plus season 4 is grossly overrated.

HR@PaneraBread

Everything about us is streamlined and efficient
It's dated like no other show in TV history, not that people ever talked like they do on The Wire but it's from an era when TV shows could do that and not seem ridiculous. It's weird because it rewards multiple viewings in all the tiny plot points you missed the 1st 4 times you watched but every time you think more and more like "this is just not how people talk no one another." The first time around you could forgive the whole Natchral Poeleese shit because it was a unique show but rewatching it today it feels like the hackiest shit ever. It'd be hard to watch for the 1st time now and think as positively as when it was on TV

bantadant

Fantastic Man
I've said it before, but every season just got progressively worse. Nice anticlimactic ending for Omar, stupids.

"But that was the whole point!" WAS IT?

CumiaPoodle

The Sopranos did the whole self destruction thing with Tony in the last seasons. He starts gambling and drinking and using drugs. Blows up his marriage and family including driving his son to suicide. Destroys his own mafia family with endless poor decisions. And in the end has zero allies except for Patsy who is bitter of his twin being murdered by Tony's orders. The Shield did it just as well with the two main characters ending one with murder suicide of his entire family and the other being abandoned by all friends and family and being alone as a rat and hated by the entire law enforcement world.

McNulty doesn't even self destruct. He becomes like a walking cloud of toxic gas that turns everyone around him into retards. His entire fake serial killer thing is known by Bunk, Freemon, and Sydnor and they go along with it. And him using serial killer funds to work other cases is known by the entire department and they all go along with it. By the end of the show the mayor, who becomes governor, even knows about it and goes along with it. And this is from a show where in seasons one through four every single thing leaks to the press. From witnesses being killed, to Hamsterdam, to grand jury testimony.

If they made McNulty drink himself into being fired it would have been fine. Or have him run an illegal wiretap into Marlo that was fine. But the serial killer angle was ridiculous. And how they did it was beyond sloppy.
Is the shield worth watching?

CumiaPoodle

He’s a terrible actor. He’s god awful in Bosch, I keep waiting for them to kill him off but apparently they’re making a spin off for his character. Fuck that.
He’s fucking cartoonishly evil. No personality or charisma. The ‘my name is my name’ speech stunk. In a show that’s supposed to be real, they made up a character that’s basically “Evil Nigger” like a MCU villain.