WWAW the Grateful Dead?

Zeroman

Potential R* Screenshotter
Uh oh, looks like we got an infestation in the forum...

Properly stoned I can get into the Dead's studio hits, but I can't stand any of their live stuff, it's all meandering hippy bullshit. Phish, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, same shit to me.

I’m not a fan of Panic nor SCI, but I will kindly disagree with the “meandering” and “unstructured” points made in this thread. The Dead made a lot of songs that are somewhat complex to perform. The noodling in the jam sections are undoubtedly the genesis of these thoughts but the song structures themselves are pretty interesting. Phish is a good example of this, as well. Yeah, it’s easy to throw out da hate, but when you also consider that Phish is still doing it after 40 years and consistently are one of the larger touring acts in the country. This is Phish doing a Dead tune with The Lorax himself: Bob Weir from a few years back.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Uh oh, looks like we got an infestation in the forum...

Properly stoned I can get into the Dead's studio hits, but I can't stand any of their live stuff, it's all meandering hippy bullshit. Phish, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, same shit to me.

Some of their stuff I totally get you, yeah it’s a log of noodling and jamming. But songs like “Bertha” are pretty tight, always puts me in a good mood.

I'm all in with the Dead from '68 through '78 and have the hard drive to prove it. My favorite year is '69. When I saw a dozen shows in the nineties, they were a shadow of their former selves because Jerry was too smacked out on china white. I probably saw two or three good sets out of those dozen shows, but I still went to them because they were a great place to score good acid and marijuana.

That album from Veneta, Oregon (1972) is great, too. Probably my favorite version of “Jack Straw”
I first got my hands on that show a couple of months before Jerry died. I was in Munich, Germany smoking some hash with a friend in the Englischer Garten. This German hippy named Hans Winkler noticed I was wearing a Dead shirt. He told us that he had some great Dead tapes back at his apartment that he'd trade for some of our Amsterdam hash. My friend and I were very relieved to meet his wife when we arrived at Hans' apartment because we thought there was a chance that he might chloroform us and fuck our virgin American buttholes. There are a lot of great shows from '72, but that one is my favorite.

I go pretty fawkin deep w the dead. Not as hard as i did when i was a bit younger but i still listen to em once a month when im happy
Me too. When I'm happy and content with my life, I listen to the Grateful Dead, Garcia and Kahn, Jerry Garcia Band, Old and in the Way, etc... When I'm listening to 90's dutch hardcore techno, it's a good sign to avoid me.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Me too. When I'm happy and content with my life, I listen to the Grateful Dead, Garcia and Kahn, Jerry Garcia Band, Old and in the Way, etc... When I'm listening to 90's dutch hardcore techno, it's a good sign to avoid me.
Seconded (except about the Dutch hardcore techno. What THE FUCK is THAT?!).

It’s just good tunes, man. Thank god Joseph Cumia doesn’t have any rendition of the Dead. That faggot would probably call it (Un)Grateful Dead or, to keep in line with tradition, Not Grateful Dead

Seconded (except about the Dutch hardcore techno. What THE FUCK is THAT?!).
My rich and irresponsible parents let me go to Europe for a month every summer starting in 1994 when I was seventeen. I probably never would have gotten into this shit if I hadn't spent so much time in the Netherlands back in those days. To really get this shit, you have to be at a huge rave and high as fuck on ecstasy. The Energiehal in Rotterdam was absolutely nuts in the 90's. It's obviously very different music compared to the Dead, but the raves had a similar feel to the Dead shows: Everyone was high as fuck and just wanted to have a great time.

Confession: I went to see Dead And Company last summer in Herseypark, PA. I did it for a girl. The tailgate scene was fun, but the show itself was aural Valium. But I did what I had to do. I know maybe five Dead tunes, and they didn't play any of those.

I always kind of liked Deadheads back in the day, though. I used to work with a major Deadhead who had the best acid, and he was practically giving it away, too. He had these sugar cubes, the little square ones, triple-dipped, so each one was three doses, and he sold them for a buck apiece. I bought thirty of them, my friends and I were tripping balls for a month and a half. Not that shitty microdot acid, but the real shit.

I ate around half of one at work, first thing in the morning, and I was totally useless all day. I was working with a guy, and he had to wash some big stupid truck. I was just sitting around, smoking cigarettes and grinning like a retard. I kept crimping the hose, and he was getting all annoyed, not knowing what was going on. Then, just like in a cartoon, he held the nozzle up to his eyeball to see what the obstruction was. I let the hose go, and it was totally hilarious. I mean I was laughing like an imbecile for hours, to the point where the foreman asked what the hell was wrong with me. Good times.

JebJoh

Confession: I went to see Dead And Company last summer in Herseypark, PA. I did it for a girl. The tailgate scene was fun, but the show itself was aural Valium. But I did what I had to do. I know maybe five Dead tunes, and they didn't play any of those.

I always kind of liked Deadheads back in the day, though. I used to work with a major Deadhead who had the best acid, and he was practically giving it away, too. He had these sugar cubes, the little square ones, triple-dipped, so each one was three doses, and he sold them for a buck apiece. I bought thirty of them, my friends and I were tripping balls for a month and a half. Not that shitty microdot acid, but the real shit.

I ate around half of one at work, first thing in the morning, and I was totally useless all day. I was working with a guy, and he had to wash some big stupid truck. I was just sitting around, smoking cigarettes and grinning like a retard. I kept crimping the hose, and he was getting all annoyed, not knowing what was going on. Then, just like in a cartoon, he held the nozzle up to his eyeball to see what the obstruction was. I let the hose go, and it was totally hilarious. I mean I was laughing like an imbecile for hours, to the point where the foreman asked what the hell was wrong with me. Good times.
I tried to take half a hit before high school once, 3 different teachers asked me if I needed to go to the nurse. When I tried to take the 2nd half that weekend I found out that all of the acid was in the half I already ate and the 2nd half was just LSDless.

I tried to take half a hit before high school once, 3 different teachers asked me if I needed to go to the nurse. When I tried to take the 2nd half that weekend I found out that all of the acid was in the half I already ate and the 2nd half was just LSDless.
I had this friend at the time, and he ate a third of a sugar cube. An hour later he was whining about it not working, and he kept badgering me for more, so I gave him the rest of it. Then he fell into a weird, wide-eyed trance, and all he said for the rest of the night was "I'm OK, I'm OK" over and over. We drove him home, and we didn't see him again for two and a half years.