WWAW Sports Cards?

MonsterSteve

Age.
Does anyone collect here? I've been getting more and more into them and ripping packs since I did that shit as a child and the hobby sort of exploded during covid. I was playing MLB the Show and they do that digital pack shit where you can play with the players on the cards so the Topps cards got into my head and I started watching YT rips on packs and one thing lead to another and I started buying some boxes. I got some killer cards and it sort of spiraled out of control there. Had no idea Panini was a thing (These fucking GABAGOOLS) but they're cards are pretty fucking sick albeit expensive. I bought a bunch of Topps hobby boxes and ripped the fuck outta them. I guess I sound gay but I think I can make some good money buying and selling cards. What's your take on them?

RIP-Allen-Lanier

DMANIAC
My dad has been a collector/trader forever. Used to own a few machines that he'd have at businesses and stuff too. He recently gave me a bunch to help him sell on the internet, I haven't looked at them yet though. I believe 60s stuff. If it's fun for you then yeah you can get a few bucks putting together sets and shit like that.

EraGodless

Does anyone collect here? I've been getting more and more into them and ripping packs since I did that shit as a child and the hobby sort of exploded during covid. I was playing MLB the Show and they do that digital pack shit where you can play with the players on the cards so the Topps cards got into my head and I started watching YT rips on packs and one thing lead to another and I started buying some boxes. I got some killer cards and it sort of spiraled out of control there. Had no idea Panini was a thing (These fucking GABAGOOLS) but they're cards are pretty fucking sick albeit expensive. I bought a bunch of Topps hobby boxes and ripped the fuck outta them. I guess I sound gay but I think I can make some good money buying and selling cards. What's your take on them?
Fawkin rip off. Buy singles. The speculation on rookie cards is absolutely fucking retarded. Also, the hobby is about to be a monopoly as Fanatics is going to own Topps as well as Panini. Expect quality control to be even more shit-- Fanatics is going to get into the card breaking space and will allow only certain LCS's to do live breaks on the internet/promote it on social media. Not playing ball will result in possible loss of distribution. They're also planning on getting in the grading business.

I think it's another bubble as the retail prices and markup on certain high end products isn't sustainable. Dude's paying over 1k for a pack of 4 cards. Lol. The print runs right now are ridiculous and base cards (even of rookies and MVP's/All-Stars) are practically worthless and just take up space.

I like Bowman Chrome, Topps Archives, and Topps Update isn't too bad.

EraGodless

My dad has been a collector/trader forever. Used to own a few machines that he'd have at businesses and stuff too. He recently gave me a bunch to help him sell on the internet, I haven't looked at them yet though. I believe 60s stuff. If it's fun for you then yeah you can get a few bucks putting together sets and shit like that.
If they're legit from the 60's (depending on condition), you could be sitting on a lot of money. Vintage is very popular right now. There's a lot of good rookies from the 60's and the final years of HOF players (Koufax in 66' and Mantle in 69'). Nolan Ryan's rookie year card is 1968. Even the commons for the 60's are worth decent money because of setbuilders.

EraGodless

I have a two whole binders of old cards that havent seen the light of day in like 15 years.
Apparently in the 80s they started printing so many cards that it made them all completely worthless
Basically. Junk card era is basically 1986/87 until the early 2000's. There are some exceptions (Griffey Upper Deck 89' rookie, some Jeter rookies, 86 Topps Traded Tiffany set and 86 Topps Traded mint Bonds and Bo Jackson). The cards have to be rookies and mint 9 to 10 PSA/SGC grade to really be worth anything. There's some decent cards from 1980-85 that are worth a bit (again, condition is a big factor).

If your cards are late 90's early 2000's, you could have some valuable refractors (and numbered cards/autos and an Ichiro, Pujols, Molina, and a few other rookie cards. It depends on when you bought cards and stopped buying them.

I’m a baseball card guy. My main PC is gold /50 refractors and orange /25 refractors from Topps chrome and SSP image variations from Series 1/2/update of the usual big names (Ohtani, acuna, Soto, trout, tatis, bryce, Mookie, judge)

I’ve angled more to buying singles now though but I still buy a couple boxes of chrome and a couple series 1/2/update every time they come out.

EraGodless

I’m a baseball card guy. My main PC is gold /50 refractors and orange /25 refractors from Topps chrome and SSP image variations from Series 1/2/update of the usual big names (Ohtani, acuna, Soto, trout, tatis, bryce, Mookie, judge)

I’ve angled more to buying singles now though but I still buy a couple boxes of chrome and a couple series 1/2/update every time they come out.
The print run on series 1 and 2 is absolutely ridiculous. $25 for a blaster?

X3FwcY.gif

Cartoon Redux

I'm still a child, child.
The new stuff is not even fun anymore, it's pretty much just gambling. I still like to buy wax boxes and build sets like when I was a kid but they don't make it cheap and sets are pretty much worthless these days. It's all about some relic signature rookie foil refractor card of some guy in A ball that is a print count of 20. It's so gay.
I knew it was time to get out when I saw a report on guys hounding Little League World Series kids for autographs.

And this was happening over a decade ago.

MonsterSteve

Age.
Fawkin rip off. Buy singles. The speculation on rookie cards is absolutely fucking retarded. Also, the hobby is about to be a monopoly as Fanatics is going to own Topps as well as Panini. Expect quality control to be even more shit-- Fanatics is going to get into the card breaking space and will allow only certain LCS's to do live breaks on the internet/promote it on social media. Not playing ball will result in possible loss of distribution. They're also planning on getting in the grading business.

I think it's another bubble as the retail prices and markup on certain high end products isn't sustainable. Dude's paying over 1k for a pack of 4 cards. Lol. The print runs right now are ridiculous and base cards (even of rookies and MVP's/All-Stars) are practically worthless and just take up space.

I like Bowman Chrome, Topps Archives, and Topps Update isn't too bad.
I know this. I thought them buying Topps was good but they are nerfing future boxes going forward. They also now are the exclusive owners of the mlbpa license which sucks because I loved the panini donruss series. 2023 is abysmal now since they’re not allowed to use current players in their packs, only prospects and players who have retired. Fawkin sucks man.