Why was this iteration of Michael Jackson

When an artist reaches superstardom like MJ did, people feel obliged to keep pretending that everything they release is pure genius, even when it's obviously just junk. No one liked "Bad" or "Black And White", but his label had a lot of money invested in him, so his trashy later work was rammed down everyone's throat regardless of how shitty and gay it was. You see it nowadays with people like Kanye and Beyonce. No one actually likes that crap, but everyone feels obliged to take it very seriously and pretend it's good.

G

I think this was after his peak. Thriller was probably top of his game.

The answer probably is that this was before the rise of rap/hip hop and before the internet and satellite radio, etc so he could build up a huge audience that included negros and other pop and rock music fans.

G

When an artist reaches superstardom like MJ did, people feel obliged to keep pretending that everything they release is pure genius, even when it's obviously just junk. No one liked "Bad" or "Black And White", but his label had a lot of money invested in him, so his trashy later work was rammed down everyone's throat regardless of how shitty and gay it was. You see it nowadays with people like Kanye and Beyonce. No one actually likes that crap, but everyone feels obliged to take it very seriously and pretend it's good.
Also, he was AWOL for a while right? this is right after his third face transplant or whatever.

By the time he died he only Chinks, Arabs and other foreigners were into his music, over here he was just a VH1 spectacle. The way he was idolized overseas was surreal.

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
man I loved MJ as a kid.. dunno what my parents were thinking as I had most of his cassettes and I know I damn well didn't buy them myself. Also had a copy of Michael Jackson Moonwalker for Sega.. great game but tough as hell and a total bummer v2 copies didn't have thriller yet had the dance/graveyard level.

I never even thought to question his black to white conversion and all the rest of the crazy stories until I got a bit older and everyone was making fun of him. Early/black MJ to my ears is amazing but the later/white stuff stuff is also kinda special no matter how bad its is. its like what you get when you give someone who is crazy way to much power and control. My favorite video/song to hate of that era is speed demon. I remember watching mtv or vh1 when it was first on rotation and I was so excited seeing the start of that video fully expecting it be an amazing experience, only to watch on in horror as it got worse and worse. the fucking ugly characters, mediocre song. same old clothing/dance moves from the other bad era music videos. I still hate watch that video every so often.. fuck I hate it

it was

it was a part of his career where, if you were a normie, you would have watched the video premiere, and say to your friends, "yeah- that was pretty good" when in reality you new that it was mediocre

I remember that this video debuted after "in Living Colour"
Also, he was AWOL for a while right? this is right after his third face transplant or whatever.

By the time he died he only Chinks, Arabs and other foreigners were into his music, over here he was just a VH1 spectacle. The way he was idolized overseas was surreal.
Just like Elvis, he was a wildly popular and beloved artist who didn't die soon enough. If Elvis had dropped dead right after the Vegas comeback special, he'd have been venerated as a saint. He never would have gotten super fat, he never would have been drugged up and incoherent, and he wouldn't have become a national joke. If MJ had died after "Thriller", he'd be remembered today as a venerated legend. There'd have been no fire, no drug addiction, no surgery and skin-lightening, no pedophilia. MJ only had four legitimate releases after "Thriller" and they were all pure junk, just garbage toy music no one really liked. People tried to pretend "Bad" was good, but it wasn't, and by the time "Dangerous" came out, few gave a shit anymore.

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
man I loved MJ as a kid.. dunno what my parents were thinking as I had most of his cassettes and I know I damn well didn't buy them myself. Also had a copy of Michael Jackson Moonwalker for Sega.. great game but tough as hell and a total bummer v2 copies didn't have thriller yet had the dance/graveyard level.

I never even thought to question his black to white conversion and all the rest of the crazy stories until I got a bit older and everyone was making fun of him. Early/black MJ to my ears is amazing but the later/white stuff stuff is also kinda special no matter how bad its is. its like what you get when you give someone who is crazy way to much power and control. My favorite video/song to hate of that era is speed demon. I remember watching mtv or vh1 when it was first on rotation and I was so excited seeing the start of that video fully expecting it be an amazing experience, only to watch on in horror as it got worse and worse. the fucking ugly characters, mediocre song. same old clothing/dance moves from the other bad era music videos. I still hate watch that video every so often.. fuck I hate it

Holy shit. I'd never seen or heard this before. Started it up, instantly hooked by the stop-motion. Then the song started, and I had to stop it. What a letdown.

It's pretty funny how the movie director of the scene he interrupts is obviously a Jew, who then turns into an angry monster.