What was pre internet entertainment like?

G

If nothing was going on, friends are busy, or maybe you had no friends.

Did people just sit there and watch good times and colombo reruns?
Read a book? The paper?
When you cut out bullshit we fill up time with today like youtube, on demand movies/documentaries, checking bullshit on the phone,videogames etc

Like without a computer, what the fuck did people, especially bachelors, do at home? Brood in silence?

D7F6D13C-26F8-410E-8E1A-8C5473A4A231.jpeg

Monk

Read a book? The paper?
When you cut out bullshit we fill up time with today like youtube, on demand movies/documentaries, checking bullshit on the phone,videogames etc

Like without a computer, what the fuck did people, especially bachelors, do at home? Brood in silence?

View attachment 48453
Sitting around watching TV was pretty much the main thing for lazy people aka couch potatoes. Plenty of people had computers but it was rarer to have internet until the early/mid 90s when big dial-up providers started becoming popular. There were a lot of great computer and console games so those were also a big time waster. Reading the newspaper was way more common.

There were some common "jobs" for kids between 10-15 years old. I had a paper route between those ages. Kids in the Midwest could get the absolutely fucking miserable summer job of detasseling corn which made me glad I have allergies because I'm sure my parents would have made me do it if I didn't have them.

I always played softball and golf in the summer when I was a kid. Would also ride bikes and go to the swimming pool a lot. Parents would get rid of me for a week every summer when I'd go to Boy Scout camp. That basically amounted to a week of playing Magic the Gathering and shooting on the archery and muzzle loader range while pissing off the adults as much as possible.

EraGodless

Read a book? The paper?

View attachment 48453
You forgot about masturbating. Lots of masturbating. Also, sleeping.

NortheastPhilly

Shock Jock
Whenever my family is gathered around the tv in recent years we’re usually multi-tasking on our phones. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes I think “How the fuck did we just sit here and watch this crap and do nothing else?” Kinda sad that I cant even fathom how we did that even though it wasnt that long ago.
I think someday I want to go back to having a non-smart phone but wonder if I could. I think I’d be happier.

DiarrheaDick

Get up here and shut up!
I was just a kid, but if my friend up the street was home, we'd usually play basketball or baseball with some of the other kids in the neighborhood if they were around, or go into the woods and poke stuff with sticks. If no one was around, I was usually riding my bike somewhere, fishing or throwing rocks at something, or doing something silly in my room like getting my wiener stuck in a toy box truck. Sometimes my Dad and I would flip through his albums and he'd put something new to me on he'd think I'd like. Cable TV still wasn't available where I lived so we'd usually take a trip to my Grandma's once a week or so to pick up some video tapes of things she recorded for us from HBO and TNN among other things.

I wouldn't mind going back to it. The constant communication and flow of information in front of us is retarded.

G

I was just a kid, but if my friend up the street was home, we'd usually play basketball or baseball with some of the other kids in the neighborhood if they were around, or go into the woods and poke stuff with sticks. If no one was around, I was usually riding my bike somewhere, fishing or throwing rocks at something, or doing something silly in my room like getting my wiener stuck in a toy box truck. Sometimes my Dad and I would flip through his albums and he'd put something new to me on he'd think I'd like. Cable TV still wasn't available where I lived so we'd usually take a trip to my Grandma's once a week or so to pick up some video tapes of things she recorded for us from HBO and TNN among other things.

I wouldn't mind going back to it. The constant communication and flow of information in front of us is retarded.
Fawkin nailed it. We just went outside and fucked around, we certainly didn’t patpost or change user names.

Imager

Gen Z Boss And A Mini
Whenever my family is gathered around the tv in recent years we’re usually multi-tasking on our phones. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes I think “How the fuck did we just sit here and watch this crap and do nothing else?” Kinda sad that I cant even fathom how we did that even though it wasnt that long ago.
I think someday I want to go back to having a non-smart phone but wonder if I could. I think I’d be happier.
I only have a smart phone because I need it for work. I'd ditch it in a heartbeat if I didn't have to work.

G

10-14 years old I used to go out after school and play football with some other guys on my street. Sometimes someone would have a bb gun or some fireworks so we'd shoot at pigeons or blow some shit up. It wasn't unheard of to leave a flaming bag of dog shit on some old fucker's doorstep, ring the bell and leg it. I'd read books, jerk off. Going out with friends at night started around 15. Nokia brick phones were around then and everyone had one but the Internet was still something for losers and perverts. I don't remember using it for anything except the occasional wank until early 2000s when I used it sometimes for studying then work. Stayed like that until faggot smartphones which have ruined people. I'm so glad they weren't around when I was a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.

A lot of that stuff was still around but just wasn't as easy to access and there wasn't such an abundance of content. That actually made you appreciate it a lot more though. Like if you wanted to watch a movie/listen to an album/play a game back in the 90s/early 00s, you actually had to make some effort to get it. You'd have to go to Blockbuster to rent a game/movie or go to a store to buy an album. Made it more special when you didn't just have instant access to everything.

The internet was a much different place before social media and was way better imo. Social media has resulted in people like Patrick thinking their opinion actually has some worth and their voice needs to be heard.

Last edited:

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Stayed like that until faggot smartphones which have ruined people. I'm so glad they weren't around when I was a kid.

Same. Social media and smartphones ruined the internet. It's resulted in an unspeakable amount of faggotry in this world. You need look no further than Patrick S Tomlinson as an example.

G

Kids would play outside. Adults in the pub.

Look at the causes of deaths for kids pre internet/cable days and how they have fallen
9/11 changed things too, even in the UK. We used to go running around suburban North London in the late 90s shooting G10 air pistols that looked pretty real

1655408099814.png

No one ever did or said anything. You'd have an armed response unit there in 5 minutes now

G

I'm glad I grew up at the right time. got to experience a mostly Internet childhood up until about 12 when the internet became a little more available and not as niche (1999)
I still remember when we got our first internet connected PC in 1996...it was in the 'living room' and no PC use after 9 pm.

I was 8 and would look at the clock and get legit panic attacks when it was 8:50-8:51

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
People (especially kids) were more active. Even the most un-athletic kids did some kind of physical activity. Internet and parents afraid their kids will get killed or abducted are why todays kids are all fat and soft.

When I was young parents said “Go outside! Don’t sit around!” Now it’s “Don’t leave the house, sit with this iPad”