• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What are your favourite books?

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
81yTbXlBtXL.jpg
I forgot he had 2 co-authors. Best to split the profits with as many people as possible, I suppose.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
I like The Maine Woods by Thoreau, even if he was probably some fag hippy type in his day.

Melville was also great. Not just Moby Dick, a great work, truly an American classic, but also his short stories, and Typee. Great shit, bros.

I like Hemingway’s short stories, in addition to For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, and The Old Man and the Sea. I like knowing what Patrick S. Tomlinson aspires to be, and never will. Ever. Hemingway might’ve finished fat / portly, he might’ve taken the cowards way out (no offense to that user who killed himself, can’t remember his name. Gbless), but he never abandoned his kids, was truly “buried in strange”, and his writing impacted people (as opposed to bored them).

I like to try and also challenge myself by reading more philosophy, like Marcus Aurelius. Not really my cup of tea, but there’s some good shit in the Meditations.

G

I devoured books as a kid - Roald Dahl, Just William and then later the Flashman novels, Thackeray, Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Steinbeck, Salinger, Hemingway anything I could get my hands on. That dissipated around 13/14 years old, when I discovered girls. Got into James Ellroy/Elmore Leonard type books for a bit in my late 20s but haven't had the time or energy to really sit down and read since I started a family. Or maybe it's the faggot smartphone tech that's robbed me of my ability to concentrate on more than two pages of text at a time.

Monk

Forum Clout
Wolf Hall trilogy by Hilary Mantel
Truly great series of books and the TV miniseries is one of the best historical dramas I've ever seen. As far as television goes, I'd say it probably is THE best though there are some movies I'd put ahead of it. Wolf Hall is so well done, it's like they sent a camera crew back in a time machine to the court of Henry VIII. Read an article that Kominsky is going to make an adaptation of The Mirror and the Light. I really, really hope they bring back Rylance, Lewis, and as much of the original cast back as possible.

Monk

Forum Clout
I've been obsessed with baseball history since high school and I'm usually in the middle of a new baseball history-related book at any given time so I've read a fucking ton on the subject. Right now I'm reading the Curt Flood book. Disappointing how we've gone from the likes of Jackie Robinson and Curt Flood, actual heroes who made enormous sacrifices, to the likes of bullshit artists like Kaepernick and Rapinoe.

Cobb by Al Stump -mostly bullshit but still entertaining

Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty -less bullshit, still entertaining

The Glory of Their Times

Eight Men Out

Ball Four

I Never Had It Made: An Autobiography of Jackie Robinson

Rube Waddell: The Zany, Brilliant Life of a Strikeout Artist

The Old Ball Game

Invisible Men: Life in Baseball's Negro Leagues

A Well Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency

G

I like a lot of cliche novels. Brave New World, Moby Dick, American Psycho, Fight Club, the Foundation series. I've got a fairly big collection of books but I almost always go back to the classics, or modern classics, because trying to find new good books can be exhausting. There's more good shit already out there than I can read in my lifetime so I don't spend much time looking in obscurity.

G

Murder Machine, about the Demeo crew.
Excellent book. Basically the mafia as serial killers. Wish someone competent would make a movie out of it. The Iceman was peripheral to it, but the movie sucked and Kuklinski is such a phony fuck that it doesn't come close to the real story.