• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

What are your favourite books?

G

I've been obsessed with baseball history since high school and I'm usually in the middle of a new baseball history-related book at any given time so I've read a fucking ton on the subject. Right now I'm reading the Curt Flood book. Disappointing how we've gone from the likes of Jackie Robinson and Curt Flood, actual heroes who made enormous sacrifices, to the likes of bullshit artists like Kaepernick and Rapinoe.

Cobb by Al Stump -mostly bullshit but still entertaining

Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty -less bullshit, still entertaining

The Glory of Their Times

Eight Men Out

Ball Four

I Never Had It Made: An Autobiography of Jackie Robinson

Rube Waddell: The Zany, Brilliant Life of a Strikeout Artist

The Old Ball Game

Invisible Men: Life in Baseball's Negro Leagues

A Well Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency
What's the best one out of these in your opinion? Enjoy old timey sports shit but never took the time to read a whole book about it.

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
I've been obsessed with baseball history since high school and I'm usually in the middle of a new baseball history-related book at any given time so I've read a fucking ton on the subject. Right now I'm reading the Curt Flood book. Disappointing how we've gone from the likes of Jackie Robinson and Curt Flood, actual heroes who made enormous sacrifices, to the likes of bullshit artists like Kaepernick and Rapinoe.

Cobb by Al Stump -mostly bullshit but still entertaining

Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty -less bullshit, still entertaining

The Glory of Their Times

Eight Men Out

Ball Four

I Never Had It Made: An Autobiography of Jackie Robinson

Rube Waddell: The Zany, Brilliant Life of a Strikeout Artist

The Old Ball Game

Invisible Men: Life in Baseball's Negro Leagues

A Well Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency

Ball Four is one of the greatest books ever written.

Rube Waddell was the original Brothaman.

Mick_Mickerson

Which way?! Medium or well done?
Forum Clout
I devoured books as a kid - Roald Dahl, Just William and then later the Flashman novels, Thackeray, Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Steinbeck, Salinger, Hemingway anything I could get my hands on. That dissipated around 13/14 years old, when I discovered girls. Got into James Ellroy/Elmore Leonard type books for a bit in my late 20s but haven't had the time or energy to really sit down and read since I started a family. Or maybe it's the faggot smartphone tech that's robbed me of my ability to concentrate on more than two pages of text at a time.
I feel the same. I "always had my nose in a book as a kid" and was a voracious reader who would read old classics buried deep in my grandpa's damp root cellar as a 12 year old and would even frequent libraries. Now, I have about 4 books that i've only read half of on my nightstand and spend more time here.

Probably not for the best, but the internet rules.

I read "Kitchen Confidential" last Christmas and definitely enjoyed it, but it's a bit cringe in that it makes working in a kitchen sound like surviving the trenches in WWI. All in all, very entertaining and well-written though.

I really liked Irvine Welsh and "Trainspotting" and one of his books about a corrput cop called "Filth" in my 20s, but I assume if I read it now I wouldn't enjoy it.

The James Herriot books are my favorite, are wholesome and have great re-readability.

Last edited:

fricklefrackle

Forum Clout
43343677-SY475.jpg

Will Tate

Oven March
Forum Clout
How was it?
I read the first one, it's not bad. They're all pretty short, mainly because Mr. Tate doesn't really doesn't spend a lot of space describing the settings. The main character will come into the corridor of a spaceship, but besides maybe the color of the walls, there's not much description of where the characters are. If I had one complaint, it's that, but it's far from a deal-breaker because the plot keeps moving along and the characters aren't cardboard cut-outs reciting his greatest Twitter hits.

TomFromNawlins

Forum Clout
One Hundred Years of Solitude is a damn masterpiece even though Marquez was a commie sympathizer and may have lusted like a Cumia.

Forum Clout
Where we at with listening to audiobooks at 120-130% speed? Normal speed usually doesn't emulate your reading pace very well, so many times it's easy to get bored after a while. I can't believe publishers haven't realized this and increased the default speed of recordings.

G

My favorite book of all time is One flew over the cuckoo's nest because it's so much better than the movie