True detective season 1 thread

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
Loved it. The episode where Rust goes back undercover with the biker gang is one of my favorite eps of any show ever. I liked season 2 a lot too despite a lot of its glaring flaws. I liked the hammy dialogue and noir kind of style. It had a lot of great moments. Had they not included the fag soldier and the lady cop it would've been a lot better imo. Ray Velcoro reminded me a lot of my own father, and I empathized with his fat faggot son who he couldn't relate to but just wanted to love out of a sense of paternal obligation. The scene where Ray fucks up yet again and goes home and frantically pours tequila and snorts coke all night, up and down, up and down, only to fall into a pathetic blubbering pile on the floor was among the best moments in the entire season.

I think that if they got the same writers from season 1 back and did a spin off season chronicling rusts time with the iron crusaders it could be good. It could also suck donkey dick and completely destroy any remaining legacy from the first season though. It's a tough one man.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
you must be the only person on earth to actually finish season 2
I watched it again for the second (and probably final) time recently and remembered very quickly why I never revisited the second season again. I only watched it because a fourth season of this show was announced. I so watched the third season and second season in that order just to see if there was literally any way I could see HBO getting more mileage out of this concept.

But unless they can steal from another author again like they did with the first season then the fourth will likely be utter trash.

Dummy Gaynuts

Pookie-pie water-pig
I watched it again for the second (and probably final) time recently and remembered very quickly why I never revisited the second season again. I only watched it because a fourth season of this show was announced. I so watched the third season and second season in that order just to see if there was literally any way I could see HBO getting more mileage out of this concept.

But unless they can steal from another author again like they did with the first season then the fourth will likely be utter trash.
I've never been able to make it past the second episode. Maybe I'm doing the material a disservice but to me, everyone is so miscast and it's such "who gives a fuck" bullshit that I had to bail. I enjoyed the third season because my old man is a Viet vet, and I thought the last scene was pretty impactful. I did think the plotline of some catholic conspiracy in Arkansas was nonsensical, one thing we Southerners aren't known for is our rural catholic populations

Kim_Jong_Poon_

Yes. I had cyber sex sessions with Leslie.
First six episodes are amazing. The entire mystery. The atmosphere. The dialog. The last two episodes were horrible. They ruin the mystery by having it be nothing more than single serial killer with minor connections to any grander conspiracy.
Bzzzzzt wrong. There was a larger conspiracy behind the murders, that's why Governor Tuttle was taken out and his safe robbed. That's also why Russ was mad at the end and said "we didn't get them all" and Marty consoled him by basically saying that was never going to happen.

I agree with your points on the dialog and atmosphere and would only add that the casting was exceptional and Harrelson/McConaghy had a lot of chemistry

Harry Powell

Semen is the aggression of a man
Bzzzzzt wrong. There was a larger conspiracy behind the murders, that's why Governor Tuttle was taken out and his safe robbed. That's also why Russ was mad at the end and said "we didn't get them all" and Marty consoled him by basically saying that was never going to happen.

I agree with your points on the dialog and atmosphere and would only add that the casting was exceptional and Harrelson/McConaghy had a lot of chemistry
Ending is great. The “yellow king” they got was just a hillbilly cousin offshoot of the family who had gone a little rogue.

Tuttle was absolutely the big bad, as exhibited by Rust getting his tape from the safe, however the entire conspiracy was too big and too deep for them to have any chance.

But… they got their guy. They punched a spot of light in the darkness of the sky. Rust abandons his nihilism and is ready to live again.

It is great.

Kim_Jong_Poon_

Ending is great. The “yellow king” they got was just a hillbilly cousin offshoot of the family who had gone a little rogue.

Tuttle was absolutely the big bad, as exhibited by Rust getting his tape from the safe, however the entire conspiracy was too big and too deep for them to have any chance.

But… they got their guy. They punched a spot of light in the darkness of the sky. Rust abandons his nihilism and is ready to live again.

It is great.
My wife gets mad when I ask her if I can make flowers on her. I guess it takes her out of the mood

LingerLonger

Bzzzzzt wrong. There was a larger conspiracy behind the murders, that's why Governor Tuttle was taken out and his safe robbed.
It was never shown that Governor Tuttle had anything directly to do with any murders or rapes or kidnappings. He was only related to the people who did them and the mardis gras cult is defunct and no longer practices anything. As the Childress family were a second family from an affair of one of the older Tuttles and one of the younger Childress members, Errol, began acting out his own cult rituals but in a serial killer manner that had nothing to do with the Tuttle family at all outside of blood relations.

The mardis gras cult is gone before the show begins. The serial murders and kidnappings are a result of Errol creating a new cult himself with his crazy meth head friends in their rural meth compound. The fans of this show invent all sorts of nonsense and see deeper meanings in everything. The old black woman tells them exactly what happened. Sam Tuttle had an affair, that produces a Childress son, Tuttle's grandson through that affair is abused his father when young and burns his face badly, and so his grandson Errol grows up to be a serial killer. Errol and his buddies kidnap and torture women and create their own rituals and fantasies. Errol recruits others into his cult and shows his 'work' to his Tuttle relatives through video tapes and public displays of dead women.

It is implied that Governor Tuttle knew that it was his nephew and tried to keep it a secret as to not embarrass or damage his political career. Not because he was eating live children or raping them. The conspiracy is not that everyone is in a murdering cult. The conspiracy is that Errol is a result of an affair of a Tuttle clan leader and is a hillbilly serial killer who has powerful protection. You are completely wrong.

The last news report on the show have nothing to do with Billy Tuttle being in a cult. There are reports of him being directly related to Errol Childress and the Tuttle estate denying it. The entire show is about blood relations and children and parents. Second season and third season heavily carried that theme as well. Those two seasons also heavily are about family and relationships and lineage.

Kim_Jong_Poon_

It was never shown that Governor Tuttle had anything directly to do with any murders or rapes or kidnappings. He was only related to the people who did them and the mardis gras cult is defunct and no longer practices anything. As the Childress family were a second family from an affair of one of the older Tuttles and one of the younger Childress members, Errol, began acting out his own cult rituals but in a serial killer manner that had nothing to do with the Tuttle family at all outside of blood relations.

The mardis gras cult is gone before the show begins. The serial murders and kidnappings are a result of Errol creating a new cult himself with his crazy meth head friends in their rural meth compound. The fans of this show invent all sorts of nonsense and see deeper meanings in everything. The old black woman tells them exactly what happened. Sam Tuttle had an affair, that produces a Childress son, Tuttle's grandson through that affair is abused his father when young and burns his face badly, and so his grandson Errol grows up to be a serial killer. Errol and his buddies kidnap and torture women and create their own rituals and fantasies. Errol recruits others into his cult and shows his 'work' to his Tuttle relatives through video tapes and public displays of dead women.

It is implied that Governor Tuttle knew that it was his nephew and tried to keep it a secret as to not embarrass or damage his political career. Not because he was eating live children or raping them. The conspiracy is not that everyone is in a murdering cult. The conspiracy is that Errol is a result of an affair of a Tuttle clan leader and is a hillbilly serial killer who has powerful protection. You are completely wrong.

The last news report on the show have nothing to do with Billy Tuttle being in a cult. There are reports of him being directly related to Errol Childress and the Tuttle estate denying it. The entire show is about blood relations and children and parents. Second season and third season heavily carried that theme as well. Those two seasons also heavily are about family and relationships and lineage.
You obviously know your shit, and I think we just have a disconnect here. While Errols' murders obviously weren't "sanctioned" by the cult, 'big people' wanted to keep it quiet. My point was there was obviously an elite group that was part of the story beyond it being a single killer. You're correct that it eventually ended up to be a freak outcast doing the ritual murders. But the way you described the end of S1 being a it is what it is imo is off base

Harry Powell

My mind is fried from drugs but I thought Rust got the tape of the little girl being raped and killed or whatever out of Tuttle’s mansion, which to me implicated him.

I actually really like your interpretation.

G

My mind is fried from drugs but I thought Rust got the tape of the little girl being raped and killed or whatever out of Tuttle’s mansion, which to me implicated him.

She was turned into pepperoni

Kim_Jong_Poon_

they did say he was the spaghetti monster
Screenshot_20220525-213313_PicCollage.jpg

Kim_Jong_Poon_

I've asked this before, but so was the guy Errol had tied up to that bed his father, now too weak to defend himself? That didn't seem to fit.

Why were there bags of water tied to the ceiling? Some kind of psychological-dehydration torture? It didn't make sense - the body looked long dead.
Yes that was his father who was the sheriff. Errol kept him alive in a vegetable state with a feeding tube to torture him

Harry Powell

I've asked this before, but so was the guy Errol had tied up to that bed his father, now too weak to defend himself? That didn't seem to fit.

Why were there bags of water tied to the ceiling? Some kind of psychological-dehydration torture? It didn't make sense - the body looked long dead.
The body looks long dead but I thought the head moved slightly. No clue about the water bags.

LingerLonger

You obviously know your shit, and I think we just have a disconnect here. While Errols' murders obviously weren't "sanctioned" by the cult, 'big people' wanted to keep it quiet. My point was there was obviously an elite group that was part of the story beyond it being a single killer. You're correct that it eventually ended up to be a freak outcast doing the ritual murders. But the way you described the end of S1 being a it is what it is imo is off base
Yes there was an elite group. They were not murderers though. They were powerful men who took a lot of wives and had affairs. And one of them it was implied took virgin women because he "only had them the one time" as the old black woman put it. The Tuttle who took the virgin women ended up having one of them, his grandson, grow up to be a serial killer. This shamed the main Tuttle family that one of their branch houses produced this monster. That the sins of their ancestor were visiting them. But they knew that there were no official connections from Tuttle to Errol Childress so at first they ignored it rather than get involved at all which would raise suspicions.

The Tuttles were only involved in the murders in that they covered them up to protect their political interests. Not because they were some sort of satanic murderers. They just want to forget their past and not take responsibility for what their ancestor did decades ago. Which was having sex with his female employees and paying them off with massive properties and estates when they got pregnant.

Errol wants to be recognized as a Tuttle and not a Childress. But he is a retarded maniac and the Tuttles want nothing to do with him. Eventually Errol loses his mind trying to get the attention of his father, grandfather, and the Tuttle family and begins killing people and sending trophies to the Tuttle family. But they ignore it hoping it will stop. So he begins staging public ritualistic killings knowing that it will get their attention. The whole idea of Errol wanting the public to see his deeds is wrong. He only wanted the Tuttles to see it and be forced to confront him. To see how great his work was. So that he could be a powerful person like a governor or a senator. It was his twisted way of making his own family prominent in the community.

The tape was sent to him by Errol. Errol and the Ladeux maniac "you're with me in Carcosa" are the ones who kidnap and rape and murder Marie Fontenot. They are the ones who do ALL of the murders. None of the Tuttles are involved in murders. Errol kidnapped this girl and others because he has access to children by working at schools. The adult in New Orleans that Rust interviews flat out says "a man with scars on his face drugged us". And eventually Errol begins bringing his friends into his cult like Reginald Ladeux and whatnot. Errol built the Yellow King murder cult from his own twisted interpretations of mardis gras and other family (likely masonic) rituals. And then showed them to his relatives the same way serial killers write manifestos.

It was his father that he was keeping alive and torturing. Probably a reference to the air freshener guy who was kept alive in Se7en. Who was kept alive chained to a bed. I assume his father was on an IV drip to be kept alive but I will have to rewatch that scene to see.