To me, the people who dislike 'The Wire' are kind of faggy!

G

Is the wire not with problems? No, of course not, child. And yea, Season 5 shit the bed, due to a writers strike.

The Truth is, every ep is like a game of chess, the people that don't like, or lets be honest, Don't UNDERSTAND IT, are little dick retards.

I was tested on my IQ when I was 14, I have a IQ higher than Jim Morrison. So go watch your SOA and breaking bad queer shit and leave the big dick energy shows to the galaxy minds.

that is all, thank you

Nigger Jim
I can’t hear you!

I just rewatched it again fairly recently. I favor seasons two and four myself. I really enjoyed Frank Sobatka and the stuff in season four with the kids and Bubbles' downfall. Randy's story guts me every time. The way he's pressured into finking to avoid losing his foster mother and what happens to him after, it's just devastating. And Bubbles being beaten and robbed every night was just painful to watch.
That terminator crackhead constantly fucking up Bubbles' shit breaks my heart.

WhereWeAt

Cops, criminals, journalists, and politicians don't deserve empathy.
The message of The Wire was that all areas of society are subject to larger forces. The Cops or whoever were just a costume that could be replaced by almost anything else.

Lately there's been a gay backlash claiming it was pro-police. It was neither pro- or anti-police. It was an explanation about why systems fail.

Yes, I'm gay.

Monk

The message of The Wire was that all areas of society are subject to larger forces. The Cops or whoever were just a costume that could be replaced by almost anything else.

Lately there's been a gay backlash claiming it was pro-police. It was neither pro- or anti-police. It was an explanation about why systems fail.

Yes, I'm gay.
That's the overarching message and The Wire doesn't take a definite position on any of the subjects it touches but there is still a part of it that tries to get the viewer to empathize with characters who don't deserve it.

Snake

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
The fifth season of The Wire is arguably the biggest drop off in quality in almost any show from one season to another. Stuff like Game of Thrones was always edgelord fantasy trash for teenagers. Boardwalk Empire had a horrible last season because HBO slashed the budget by more than half but it was still a fitting conclusion. Dexter was already in the gutter by the time the last season rolled around.

But The Wire went from having four high quality season to almost being a parody of itself in the last season. The serial killer storyline was so bad and it dominates the last season from literally all angles. The cops? Their story is almost all about the serial killer. The politicians? A huge focus is on the serial killer. Reporters? Centers entirely around the serial killer for the last half. They took the show and turned it into something beyond farfetched and unrealistic.

This is why shows like Sopranos, Shield, OZ are always superior when it comes to writing immoral characters. Because their characters behave realistically. Tony and Vic are pieces of shit who are motivated by their families and their insane paranoia over their work. And the paranoia just fuels itself and their dangerous behavior becomes an endless cycle of horrible decisions. And everyone in OZ was trapped in the prison cycle and some just embraced the prison lifestyle.

Fifth season of The Wire has so many characters behaving like utter retards. Pretty much all cops involved in the serial killer storyline are taking these huge risks that make no sense. Like their end game reward against risking their entire lives and careers is to lock up a mid level random nigger drug dealer who will be replaced by another drug dealer the day he gets locked up. If they were catching the main heroin supplier to the United States East Coast it might make sense. But one local drug dealer? When they know that he will just get replaced the next day? Insane.

People who like The Wire and forgive season five tend to be the same people who enjoy like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, or Dexter. Where you have these silly characters running around with plot armor acting like buffoons and nothing ever happens to them until the very last episode because the plot protects them from everything.

Like I still cannot watch The Wire and not think "oh great here comes the fifth season" every single time I rewatch the show.

CutesyMissy

"... radio's most notorious shock jock."
The fifth season of The Wire is arguably the biggest drop off in quality in almost any show from one season to another. Stuff like Game of Thrones was always edgelord fantasy trash for teenagers. Boardwalk Empire had a horrible last season because HBO slashed the budget by more than half but it was still a fitting conclusion. Dexter was already in the gutter by the time the last season rolled around.

But The Wire went from having four high quality season to almost being a parody of itself in the last season. The serial killer storyline was so bad and it dominates the last season from literally all angles. The cops? Their story is almost all about the serial killer. The politicians? A huge focus is on the serial killer. Reporters? Centers entirely around the serial killer for the last half. They took the show and turned it into something beyond farfetched and unrealistic.

This is why shows like Sopranos, Shield, OZ are always superior when it comes to writing immoral characters. Because their characters behave realistically. Tony and Vic are pieces of shit who are motivated by their families and their insane paranoia over their work. And the paranoia just fuels itself and their dangerous behavior becomes an endless cycle of horrible decisions. And everyone in OZ was trapped in the prison cycle and some just embraced the prison lifestyle.

Fifth season of The Wire has so many characters behaving like utter retards. Pretty much all cops involved in the serial killer storyline are taking these huge risks that make no sense. Like their end game reward against risking their entire lives and careers is to lock up a mid level random nigger drug dealer who will be replaced by another drug dealer the day he gets locked up. If they were catching the main heroin supplier to the United States East Coast it might make sense. But one local drug dealer? When they know that he will just get replaced the next day? Insane.

People who like The Wire and forgive season five tend to be the same people who enjoy like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, or Dexter. Where you have these silly characters running around with plot armor acting like buffoons and nothing ever happens to them until the very last episode because the plot protects them from everything.

Like I still cannot watch The Wire and not think "oh great here comes the fifth season" every single time I rewatch the show.

I'm still dumbfounded with that flip Lester did in season 5. He was always wise, meticulous and balanced when taking risks in previous seasons, then decides to get behind the sloppiest scheme in policing history. All spearheaded by Jimmy, a man lester reprehended several times for taking shortcuts around proper police work and overindulging on his hunches.

I still put The Wire (and Deadwood, seriously, that show has some of the best writing period, and a great ending movie) ahead of The Sopranos, because the Jersey Crew is one of the sloppiest criminal organizations in human history. Any rookie cop would've caught them with the slightest bit of work. Yes, there is amazing acting all around (Gandolfini is just amazing, and the cast is superb). But the show hinges on a lot of convenient theatricality in my worthless opinion.

Last edited:

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
I still put The Wire (and Deadwood, seriously, that show has some of the best writing period, and a great ending movie) ahead of The Sopranos, because the Jersey Crew is one of the sloppiest criminal organizations in human history. Any rookie cop would've caught them with the slightest bit of work.
They pretty much all get caught. The first season has Junior's entire crew get arrested. Jimmy Altieri is arrested and flipped. Big Pussy is arrested and flipped. Larry is arrested and put in house arrest for the entire show until getting violated at the Cleaver premier. Ray Curto is flipped sometime in the first few seasons off camera. Brendan Fillone had an arrest warrant but is shot to death before it can be served.

The point of the show is that after 9/11 the cops and FBI stop caring about the mafia. To the point where agents are rooting for the mafia. "We're gonna win this". Same story happens on The Wire, where cops stop caring about the drug war, and only want anti-terror related cases and arrests. Tony and his crew are in the crosshairs right up until 9/11. Then the FBI restructures their entire organization.

By the end of Sopranos and The Wire there are multiple members of organized crime that buy their way out of jail with counter terror related information or becoming cooperators. The Greeks in The Wire are literally FBI protected informants. And Tony is on his way to that status in The Sopranos (though if you believe the 'death' ending then that does not save him).

CutesyMissy

"... radio's most notorious shock jock."
They pretty much all get caught. The first season has Junior's entire crew get arrested. Jimmy Altieri is arrested and flipped. Big Pussy is arrested and flipped. Larry is arrested and put in house arrest for the entire show until getting violated at the Cleaver premier. Ray Curto is flipped sometime in the first few seasons off camera. Brendan Fillone had an arrest warrant but is shot to death before it can be served.

The point of the show is that after 9/11 the cops and FBI stop caring about the mafia. To the point where agents are rooting for the mafia. "We're gonna win this". Same story happens on The Wire, where cops stop caring about the drug war, and only want anti-terror related cases and arrests. Tony and his crew are in the crosshairs right up until 9/11. Then the FBI restructures their entire organization.

By the end of Sopranos and The Wire there are multiple members of organized crime that buy their way out of jail with counter terror related information or becoming cooperators. The Greeks in The Wire are literally FBI protected informants. And Tony is on his way to that status in The Sopranos (though if you believe the 'death' ending then that does not save him).
Had a brainfart.

I meant they would've been caught as soon as Junior pulls his retarded shit and practically begs all the capos to rat on his ass the first season.

Agree though. The war on terror, and to a lesser extent the war on drugs, destroyed american police work.

It's a solid #2 for me behind the sopranos. And it's catching up with time. As good a show as it was, the monstrosity of a movie plus them all sucking their own cocks on commercials/reunions, every fat NY/NJ greaseball wop thinking they're connected to the mafia....sopranos is being tested. Look at this shit.
View attachment 53623
I love the old hbo programming. I put sopranos first then boardwalk empire. Then the wire. The wire was my favorite when it aired when I was young. But having lived in a place that could have had its own "the wire" type show it was really idk how to put it but it gave all these complex emotions to characters who in real life aren't that smart or sympathetic. I totally get creative license but the wire prided itself on being real.

When it first came on television I didn't enjoy the second season. Now it's my favorite season by far. I still love it. Avon has the best presence I've ever seen on tv. Also Marlo is such a shitty character played by an awful actor. He's the most unrealistic thing about the show.

Same. I look down on people that don't like season 2. I really love the cinematography of that season.

I'm still dumbfounded with that flip Lester did in season 5. He was always wise, meticulous and balanced when taking risks in previous seasons, then decides to get behind the sloppiest scheme in policing history. All spearheaded by Jimmy, a man lester reprehended several times for taking shortcuts around proper police work and overindulging on his hunches.

I still put The Wire (and Deadwood, seriously, that show has some of the best writing period, and a great ending movie) ahead of The Sopranos, because the Jersey Crew is one of the sloppiest criminal organizations in human history. Any rookie cop would've caught them with the slightest bit of work. Yes, there is amazing acting all around (Gandolfini is just amazing, and the cast is superb). But the show hinges on a lot of convenient theatricality in my worthless opinion.
Season five did have its moments. Omar's death, Dukie's descent into heroin hell, Bubbles getting to eat with the family at the very end, Snoop's demise, all good stuff. But I agree re: Lester. No way he should have gone along with that nutty plan. And I really could have done without Gus, the moral reporter.

Season five did have its moments. Omar's death, Dukie's descent into heroin hell, Bubbles getting to eat with the family at the very end, Snoop's demise, all good stuff. But I agree re: Lester. No way he should have gone along with that nutty plan. And I really could have done without Gus, the moral reporter.
Him getting into dope was so fucking sad. Ripping off his teacher the pathetic look on both their faces God damn that show was sad. I don't hate season 5 the way most people do. I hate all Marlos scenes I think I'd love it way more if they made a more realistic character and picked an actual serviceable actor. Bodie even though his NJ accent was hilarious. Was the most realistic I knew sooo many dudes like that growing up. There just isn't any Marlos. People like him would've been killed wayyy before ever becoming the serial killer he became also nice emotional range stupid. The people I knew who were secretly really fucking rich off shady shit also had jobs like tow truck drivers COs cellphone and sneaker store owners.