This movie must be for faggots

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World would melt his fucking brain.

You're right, Abe, it's the only exception to the 80-120 minute comedy rule. There's enough talent in the bloody thing to keep the film going, and it's edited well.

But the rough cut was 3 FUCKING HOURS. I don't recommend that one without an intermission.

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
You're right, Abe, it's the only exception to the 80-120 minute comedy rule. There's enough talent in the bloody thing to keep the film going, and it's edited well.

But the rough cut was 3 FUCKING HOURS. I don't recommend that one without an intermission.
I have that cut and still think it's worthwhile but 99/100 I would just recommend the regular version. I think it's one of those movies with a ton of different international and TV cuts though anyway.

UnPRePared

I have that cut and still think it's worthwhile but 99/100 I would just recommend the regular version. I think it's one of those movies with a ton of different international and TV cuts though anyway.

It's usually done to pad syndication rights. The Salkinds did it with "Superman" - artificially made a 150 minute film nearly 4 hours, and a two night event for the broadcast premiere.

I've seen that cut and while it's interesting, it... Makes... It... So... Slow. There's a reason editing is so important. Star Wars wouldn't have been what it was if not for George Lucas' ex wife.

If any of you lads get into filmmaking, I cannot stress enough: find a good editor. It can save your ass no matter how good of a director you think that you are.

TorqueWheeler

It's usually done to pad syndication rights. The Salkinds did it with "Superman" - artificially made a 150 minute film nearly 4 hours, and a two night event for the broadcast premiere.

I've seen that cut and while it's interesting, it... Makes... It... So... Slow. There's a reason editing is so important. Star Wars wouldn't have been what it was if not for George Lucas' ex wife.

If any of you lads get into filmmaking, I cannot stress enough: find a good editor. It can save your ass no matter how good of a director you think that you are.
I literally work for a major film studio but yes, I agree the editor is often the most important person on a movie.

UnPRePared

I literally work for a major film studio but yes, I agree the editor is often the most important person on a movie.

Not to speak out of turn - 16, don't know dick about filmmaking as a musician who pays CASH - but I'm a stickler for this stuff. No talent of my own in it, which is why I stuck to music, but I'm an ardent fan.

I was the most important person on all of my movies.

And you always will be, Abe.

Why couldn't YOU have played Superman? You're MY Superman.

1073waaf

The ONLY station that REALLY ROCKS!
Even F/N’s have better grammar than Rick.
1717952480187.jpeg

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
It sucks how the director gets so much attention yet the editor is what makes the movie. That was the direction I wanted to go when I worked in tv/film production - I specialized in post. Editing is the most important part of a movie.

For example many people know the name Martin Scorsese but they don’t know the name Thelma Schoonmaker. She’s been his editor on everything he’s done for a reason.

TorqueWheeler

It sucks how the director gets so much attention yet the editor is what makes the movie. That was the direction I wanted to go when I worked in tv/film production - I specialized in post. Editing is the most important part of a movie.

For example many people know the name Martin Scorsese but they don’t know the name Thelma Schoonmaker. She’s been his editor on everything he’s done for a reason.
Thelma is amazing. I just wish she was 30 years younger so she could keep doing it for another 3 decades.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Thelma is amazing. I just wish she was 30 years younger so she could keep doing it for another 3 decades.
She is, she even has more Oscar wins than Martin. She was why I wanted to go into editing / post production because I had watched a video of her editing Raging Bull and why Martin’s movie all had a similar “look” (especially and frantic scenes) to them because of her.

TorqueWheeler

She is, she even has more Oscar wins than Martin. She was why I wanted to go into editing / post production because I had watched a video of her editing Raging Bull and why Martin’s movie all had a similar “look” (especially and frantic scenes) to them because of her.
I think very few people could ever understand what she does and why it's great to be honest. My good friend and satanist pedophile (saved you the bother NoBacon) lost Sally Menke and even though I personally think his stuff is still great (color me biased) she has been a massive loss. Even PTA, with everything he does, relied so heavily on Dylan Tichenor until suddenly he changed it up and, while I still personally love Licorice Pizza, it did change the tone quite a bit.

Having said that, Tichenor cut the Marvel Eternals movie and that is an abominably boring disaster so... Ultimately the right people need each other. Putting them together is a big part of my job.

UnPRePared

Guys like Martin know their bread is buttered by someone like Thelma. It's why editors like Stuart Baird were in such demand - he's a shit director, but he can make a movie flow. Same with Mark Goldblatt - The Punisher with Lundgren never stood a chance with that budget, but he's a solid Editor.

It's also why those Special Editions of Star Wars made me cross, it was just petty. By redoing them, and making that the only standard of them going forward, it basically erased any residuals Georgie boys ex-wife would get. He'd be making a fifth American Graffiti if she hadn't saved that movie.

But back to the Cheese Eating Fat Fuck for a moment - what bothers me on his whole pointless rant is that he's vilifying a big budget massacre of a film. Movies that wasted their money on that aren't worth defending, just like Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra. DeMille's version with Claudette Colbert, who looked FAR less exotic than Liz, is still the better movie. It's money with no substance.

Talk up a Corman film, or Detour, or Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or even White Zombie, something that transcended physical and financial limitations. THAT'S interesting.

Instead he'd rather go forty pages on Dino DiLaurentis' Flash Gordon.

UnPRePared

@IGotATreeOnMyHouse85 and @TorqueWheeler -

Hey, I don't know if either of you can answer this, but jesus, this is something I've wanted to know for years...

Josh Trank's Fantastic Four, are the stories about behind the scenes turmoil really that true? I've seen some of the production art and such about what he wanted to do, and I thought he could've made a pretty keen sci-fi film out of that. I think Kinberg stepped in on the reshoots and Trank was locked out of the edits, correct?

Yeah, stupid film to ask about, but this is a "What If" that's fascinated me for years since I saw that movie. I own it un-ironically.

TorqueWheeler

@IGotATreeOnMyHouse85 and @TorqueWheeler -

Hey, I don't know if either of you can answer this, but jesus, this is something I've wanted to know for years...

Josh Trank's Fantastic Four, are the stories about behind the scenes turmoil really that true? I've seen some of the production art and such about what he wanted to do, and I thought he could've made a pretty keen sci-fi film out of that. I think Kinberg stepped in on the reshoots and Trank was locked out of the edits, correct?

Yeah, stupid film to ask about, but this is a "What If" that's fascinated me for years since I saw that movie. I own it un-ironically.
I wasn't there but everything I heard about that movie was a disaster and the fact they actually took control of the film away from the director suggests at least most of what you've heard is true.

UnPRePared

I wasn't there but everything I heard about that movie was a disaster and the fact they actually took control of the film away from the director suggests at least most of what you've heard is true.

I just wondered if Fox was covering their ass because they didn't like what he wanted to do, or he actually did go tits up crazy and they salvaged what they could.

I'm serious, if you can find some of those production photos of his ideas for the third act, I'd have killed to see that cut of his. Maybe it would have sucked, but it sure seemed different, and nowadays that's rare in science fiction.

Appreciate the insight though lad.