• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Serch Says - Gilbert Gottfried

Easily_Remembered

"And young. So young."
Forum Clout
He stopped looking. I don’t remember if that was at my urging, or if it was entirely his own discipline. We did try to have them off completely, but StreamYard was messing up. I’d have the broadcast scheduled and have comments turned off, but when it would go live, comments would be on. I eventually learned where to find the setting in YouTube and had to manually change it as soon as we went live. At this point, it seems he prerecords his shows entirely and then schedules them as “premieres” on YouTube.
So can we interest you in Patposting?

Stent

Ancyent Marinere
Forum Clout
Anything specific?
tumblr_lrw8kt3e741r3as26o1_1280.jpg

Say "Remembering Norm Macdonald today. What a funny guy. I'm sorry you never got to work with Martin Landau."

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
Forum Clout
For those who don't recognize my name, I'm the former cohost of Serch Says, and as he would say, I'm the guy who pushed him to enter the world of podcasting. I pushed him 10 years ago. I think he waited too long.

Maybe I'll make another thread if anyone cares to hear more about this, but I was friends with Serch from 2004 or so, until around January of this year, when he and I kinda parted ways. He was mad at me for not being all personally sad for him and his loss of MF DOOM, while I was simultaneously mourning the loss of my wife's uncle. Serch didn't know that, and needn't, but he still went off on me as if I was some horribly uncaring human being. Meanwhile, being his assistant for social media and seeing his messages, I got the impression he had almost no relationship with DOOM, and any of his attempts to reach out were either left unreplied, or forgotten and turned cold (I forget which, maybe both). I haven't completely burned bridges with Serch, but who knows. If he has an account here and notices this, maybe this is the end of my connection to him. He was, or seemed to be, a genuinely good guy to me, and afforded me many opportunities I'd never have had without him in my life. I've met so many of my rap idols, and talked to people I'd never have had access to. I appreciate that, and will forever, but as someone once told me about him, he'll use you until he doesn't need you anymore. Maybe that was my fate, after almost 20 years. Anyway...

I just watched almost this entire episode. I haven't really watched much of his other stuff since parting ways last year, but this is pretty typical, and by that, I mean bad. The microphone thing is something I needed to pound into his head almost every time we recorded. The logo is hard to see with the foam windscreen, but the screw for the XLR connector faces front, so it's pretty simple to just use that as a guide. This seriously sounds like he's using a mic off-camera and this one is just a prop. It's all room noise. Gilbert, on the other hand, sounds great! Gotta love when the guest out-does the host. Audio technicalities aside, like JacquesClouseau said above, the interview will always lean toward some way to connect the guest to Serch. What do they have in common? "Let's talk about me being Jewish!" He really loved when Tom Green penned him as the Hip-Hop Howard Stern, because Stern is one of his idols, and he calls in from time to time. Serch needs to study Stern better, or really, other interviewers who are revered as the best in the industry. (I don't think Stern wins that title.)

For the record: Serch wasn't reading some of your comments on later episodes, but he was definitely seeing them all on that first night when you guys bombarded him. So was I. I was desperately attempting to delete them as fast as they were coming in! I knew it was funny, but I also knew you guys would cross the line and go as deep as you could. I wanted SO BADLY to stop him before he went off. I wanted to cut him off after he "ended" the show, before he addressed you guys. It was embarrassing to me to be involved with that mess. Maybe that was the true beginning of the end for me. It was so cringeworthy, I couldn't take him seriously after that, and felt critical of everything he did thereafter. As his friend, I started searching for you guys behind the scenes. Mostly out of curiosity. I knew you were O&A fans from some of your comments. I'm not super familiar with them, but I knew enough to connect the dots. I found the old forums because the posts were indexed (smart to change that on this iteration), and lurked with another account. When you doxxed him and his daughter, his wife got genuinely scared. To be honest, I got a bit worried, too. I don't have much to hide, but if Serch kept issuing threats—however empty they might have been—maybe I'd be next on your list!

Like I said before, if anyone wants me to, I'll make a thread, or answer questions if anyone is remotely interested.
Is there a reason he's doing a podcast for 2 live viewers? What's the end game here

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
How are his viewership numbers?

Do I get more viewership when I randomly decide to stream myself playing GTA 3 on Twitch at any random point during any time and day?

Also, how angry was he after he signed off that night? After he threatened to call Lyor Cohen (of whom Serch gave the "gas face" to by thinking he was clever and calling him Elroy Cohen?) on us?

PumiceT

Forum Clout
Is there a reason he's doing a podcast for 2 live viewers? What's the end game here
I can’t see his download numbers for the audio podcast since it got moved to Sony / The Orchard. While they weren’t as bad as you’d think from the YouTube / Facebook views, they weren’t that good, either. I’m pretty sure he has his sponsors sold on the idea that those metrics don’t matter yet. This is a ground-floor opportunity and it’s still building. How much are they giving him? I don’t know. When we first started, he was transparent with the income and split it evenly. But that ended pretty quickly, as did the sponsorships themselves. They probably backed out when they realized they weren’t getting any business from their sponsorship money. I honestly think the Big Daddy Kane and MF DOOM podcasts are getting decent listenership. Those were funded by Sony, I believe. Any reason I could give for his solo podcast would be a total guess at this point.

PumiceT

Forum Clout
How are his viewership numbers?

Do I get more viewership when I randomly decide to stream myself playing GTA 3 on Twitch at any random point during any time and day?

Also, how angry was he after he signed off that night? After he threatened to call Lyor Cohen (of whom Serch gave the "gas face" to by thinking he was clever and calling him Elroy Cohen?) on us?
I kinda answered your question about viewing numbers in my last comment. As a podcast, the video views were never a goal. Getting people to download / listen to the audio-only version was the real goal. But as far as your Twitch streams: probably. Not only is Serch not as famous as some of his fans would want to believe (he told me on many many occasions how he realizes no one cares about MC Serch and how he’s barely a blip on the radar of celebrity), but you playing GTA 3 has a bigger audience by simply being a popular game. Well. Formerly popular, I think. I’m not a huge gamer, but isn’t GTA losing steam to COD, Fortnite, and (some other game that eludes my memory at the moment)?

He was fuming. He knew he should have kept his mouth shut. You guys hit him precisely where it hurt him most: his family. I’m not sure if you knew that was the trigger for him, but it was. He could probably laugh off any jabs at his career, his attempts at TV shows, his appearance, and many other things that might trigger someone else. But threaten or speak poorly of his wife and kids? Yeah. I mean, you guys are anonymous keyboard warriors. You have nothing to lose. It’s a completely unfair fight. You can toss out low blows, bite your opponent, anything you want in such a battle. All he could do is react. He had no ammunition against his enemy, other than a connection at YouTube who could maybe trace IPs, but for what? Rude comments? There was no way to figure out who was posting those comments. There still isn’t. I knew this. I knew it while it was happening. I also know that I’m probably taking a stupid risk by posting here, but after lurking for almost a year, I wanted to provide you with a bit of insight from the other side. I’m mostly hoping you’ll go easy on me.

I obviously have a ton more stories about Serch. Some that wouldn’t interest you most likely, but others that would help reinforce your awful image of him. I don’t think I’m ready to volunteer random stuff, but I’ll keep answering legit questions.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

i wish my rapist would call me back 😍
Forum Clout
I kinda answered your question about viewing numbers in my last comment. As a podcast, the video views were never a goal. Getting people to download / listen to the audio-only version was the real goal. But as far as your Twitch streams: probably. Not only is Serch not as famous as some of his fans would want to believe (he told me on many many occasions how he realizes no one cares about MC Serch and how he’s barely a blip on the radar of celebrity), but you playing GTA 3 has a bigger audience by simply being a popular game. Well. Formerly popular, I think. I’m not a huge gamer, but isn’t GTA losing steam to COD, Fortnite, and (some other game that eludes my memory at the moment)?

He was fuming. He knew he should have kept his mouth shut. You guys hit him precisely where it hurt him most: his family. I’m not sure if you knew that was the trigger for him, but it was. He could probably laugh off any jabs at his career, his attempts at TV shows, his appearance, and many other things that might trigger someone else. But threaten or speak poorly of his wife and kids? Yeah. I mean, you guys are anonymous keyboard warriors. You have nothing to lose. It’s a completely unfair fight. You can toss out low blows, bite your opponent, anything you want in such a battle. All he could do is react. He had no ammunition against his enemy, other than a connection at YouTube who could maybe trace IPs, but for what? Rude comments? There was no way to figure out who was posting those comments. There still isn’t. I knew this. I knew it while it was happening. I also know that I’m probably taking a stupid risk by posting here, but after lurking for almost a year, I wanted to provide you with a bit of insight from the other side. I’m mostly hoping you’ll go easy on me.

I obviously have a ton more stories about Serch. Some that wouldn’t interest you most likely, but others that would help reinforce your awful image of him. I don’t think I’m ready to volunteer random stuff, but I’ll keep answering legit questions.
Was Steppin to the AM really written for Rakim? I think that might be the most retarded lie I’ve ever heard.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout

You seem like an ok egg.

PumiceT

Forum Clout
Was Steppin to the AM really written for Rakim? I think that might be the most retarded lie I’ve ever heard.
You know, I’m not sure what to believe. Serch once confessed to me that he was in some kind of liars anonymous or something and wasn’t allowed to lie anymore, and if I ever doubted anything he said, to call him out on it. I didn’t use that opportunity to ask about his public stories. I asked him about something that I’m going to keep private for now, but I’ll tell you this: I still didn’t believe him.

Keep in mind: I was a pretty big 3rd Bass fan. That’s how I even ended up befriending Serch. My loyalty lied with him for many years. Between him and Pete Nice, I’d still probably lean toward Serch, but the more I step back and observe him without the bias of being a friend, the more I start to see that they’re probably both making their own versions of reality to suit their best interests. That said, Pete Nice has flat out denied that they wrote that for Rakim. Rakim got pretty fired up when he heard the story. Rakim is absolutely the GOAT in rap, at least in my opinion.

PumiceT

Forum Clout
This thread should have MANY more comments.

Going to bed now, but I'll have some questions in the morning.

20 year friendship? You must know some embarrassing shit about him.
Yes, but keep this aspect in mind: we didn’t meet in person for almost 10 years, I’ve never met his wife or kids in person, and we live well over 1000 miles apart.

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

i wish my rapist would call me back 😍
Forum Clout
You know, I’m not sure what to believe. Serch once confessed to me that he was in some kind of liars anonymous or something and wasn’t allowed to lie anymore, and if I ever doubted anything he said, to call him out on it. I didn’t use that opportunity to ask about his public stories. I asked him about something that I’m going to keep private for now, but I’ll tell you this: I still didn’t believe him.

Keep in mind: I was a pretty big 3rd Bass fan. That’s how I even ended up befriending Serch. My loyalty lied with him for many years. Between him and Pete Nice, I’d still probably lean toward Serch, but the more I step back and observe him without the bias of being a friend, the more I start to see that they’re probably both making their own versions of reality to suit their best interests. That said, Pete Nice has flat out denied that they wrote that for Rakim. Rakim got pretty fired up when he heard the story. Rakim is absolutely the GOAT in rap, at least in my opinion.
There’s a 0% chance they wrote that song for Rakim since it’s corny as fuck and doesn’t fit his style. I think Rakim threatened to beat the fuck out of Serch hahah.

Stent

Ancyent Marinere
Forum Clout
So, @PumiceT, what's the connection between you and @JacquesClouseau?

I'd also like to know how he gets his guests or even maintains any kind of presence that connects him to celebrities. He did some broadcasts with guys like Chris Rock and Neal Brennan that seemed to be something they felt obligated to do. He's not even a mediocre interviewer so there's obviously some kind of industry connection there but he doesn't have any visible career that gets him in with these people.

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
Forum Clout
I can’t see his download numbers for the audio podcast since it got moved to Sony / The Orchard. While they weren’t as bad as you’d think from the YouTube / Facebook views, they weren’t that good, either. I’m pretty sure he has his sponsors sold on the idea that those metrics don’t matter yet. This is a ground-floor opportunity and it’s still building. How much are they giving him? I don’t know. When we first started, he was transparent with the income and split it evenly. But that ended pretty quickly, as did the sponsorships themselves. They probably backed out when they realized they weren’t getting any business from their sponsorship money. I honestly think the Big Daddy Kane and MF DOOM podcasts are getting decent listenership. Those were funded by Sony, I believe. Any reason I could give for his solo podcast would be a total guess at this point.
Good for him into tricking Sony into paying him

Does he know who Opie Anthony is?

Did you know he was raised his parents but grew up on the street?

How did you know it's this forum that was on his stream?