• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

RIP Fez

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
Been on the bus for a little while now, just coming down from everything. You'd think someone dying whom you never met wouldn't affect you, but this actually got to me. Małgorzata was a sweetheart though - she compiled all the tweets commemorating Fezzie. I hate Twitter but that was great to read.

I've been very forward here with my fascination with the shock jock genre of radio. It started with Stern, whom a roadie on The Calling All Stations Tour introduced me to on a cassette. Slowly over time, thanks to file sharing sites, I was introduced to Bob and Tom, then Don and Mike, and with YouTube, Opie and Anthony.

One day five years ago, an American fan I've corresponded with sent me an email saying "I think you'll dig this, but I'm warning you - it's different." The link was a YouTube video, and it was titled "How many 9 Year Old can you beat up?"

To just call it "different" wouldn't be doing it justice. What I listened to was genius on par with early Billy Connelly, and an irreverence like my brethren Craig Ferguson. Ron and Fez became, in short order, the best radio show I had ever listened to.

I can never heap enough praise on Ron Bennington and his comedic mind. For as much as I enjoyed the golden age of Stern, even he couldn't touch The Ringmaster. Ron coordinated a show that had you question how much was real, and when you thought you had it figured out - you realized you didn't. But you were laughing so much and so entertained, you didn't care.

And the reason why it worked so well, as evidenced by the little bit of Ron and Ron I listened to, and the hours (regretfully, mostly) of Bennington I've heard, was because he had Fez. WNEW and WJFK Fez wasn't a second mic; he was an equal. This is a man who kept up with, and at moments could exceed Ronnie in quality (no one bashed Staples like Whatley). Just incredible. The fact that these two men, who unlike another WNEW duo, were actually long time friends and stayed so, could put out such consistent material was amazing.

Which is What made the transition post-heart attack so interesting. The jovial, campy, talkative ol' Queen started locking up, crying, struggling with mental illness on the fucking air. EVERY DAY. And even when it was annoying it was still interesting (The D-Man). Sometimes it was downright hysterical ("Crazy"). Other times it was disturbing (BL dress up).

But never could I turn it off. It was the radio form of professional wrestling, a strict kayfabe that would've made Jim Cornette shed a tear with respect.

That last episode with Ron and Fez was an amazing listen the first time. A true, emotional good bye. And Fez did stay gone for quite some time. Hearing him pop up in a call the first time on Bennington made me smile. Hearing him appear with Ron and Gail at Thanksgiving was a rare moment I regretted not being in America. And hearing three standalone fruit happy that his Buccaneers won a Super Bowl warmed my heart.

I envy those of you who were along for the ride that whole time. Ron and Todd sounded like quite a rollercoaster to listen to live every day. That must have been an experience. I'm glad I at least got to partake second hand.

Fezzie, I never knew ya, but I sure felt like I did. You took Sirius' money, you took Pepper Hicks dignity, you took Ronnie B's Umbrella, and you took all of our hearts. God can lean back and back off the stick finally.

Why? Cuz he's got The Big Cat.

This is for you, straight from my cakehorn.

... That's all I got.

Gay Faggot.

When the frying pan hits just right.
Forum Clout
Damn. I gotta say, I think fezzie would be happy to see all the OnA brothaman coming out and saying a good word for him. You won in the end man. Cavefag Sam Robert’s isn’t going to get this response from us. That’s a guarantee. Rest in Power Fez.