Re-watched The Lord of the Rings

I think Tolkien wouldn't even have included Tom Bombadil if he knew what kind of story he would ultimately be telling. When he started writing Fellowship, his publisher wanted another book in the style of The Hobbit, which is a children's book. That's why the first half of Fellowship is more whimsical and episodic in nature (structured to be read one chapter at a time for your kid's bedtime), and I doubt Tolkien put any more thought into Tom Bombadil than he did the fox who has an internal dialogue. He's just a children's fairytale character, just like Smaug was originally just a classic dragon, and not a part of the more intricate universe Tolkien developed later on.
Yeah he came up with the character separately, and I remember seeing a couple of quotes from Tolkien that he purposefully left him in as an enigma.

Monk

I choked up at this scene, please call me a homo.

"Simbelmÿne. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears. Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house."

That scene gets me. Bernard Hill is such a fucking good actor. He's also really good as the Duke of Norfolk in Wolf Hall.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
They’re all still great.

Calling them overrated is fucking retarded and too-cool-for-the-room posturing.
Christopher Tolkien hated them. Would you call him "too cool for the room"? Odds are that JRR Toklien would have hated the movies as well. They are moronic versions of his books designed for dimwits and little kids. Dwarf tossing and shield surfing and fart jokes and booger jokes and all sorts of infantile garbage. Some of the most serious moments from the LOTR books are completely cut from the movies to make room for that garbage.

The LOTR films are just as juvenile as the Hobbit ones. Made for the same audience of funkopop junkies and "reaction video" social media whores.
Those who complain about what they left out would complain about each movie being 5 hours long if everything was put in.
This forum is filled with people who listened to thousands of hours of O&A and watch The Sopranos, a 90 hour show, every year. If something is high quality people want more. If something is horrible quality, like everything Star Wars or Marvel or whatever, the fans still want more. People want more.
The books were considered unfilmable forever.
Game of Thrones shows that you can make a fantasy show in any setting now. The money and CGI are both there. You just need proper writing and acting to make it all work together. LOTR could have been filmed in its entirety as half of the stuff that is missing are just dialog based scenes and no battles anyways. They literally added like 50 extra battle and action sequences to the Hobbit trilogy including new orcs and enemy groups just to generate even more stupid action and battle sequences.

Look at the barrel riding in the novels compared to the movies. This is how Peter Jackson is. A dumb hack making movies for little kids.

LiberalPussy

Christopher Tolkien hated them. Would you call him "too cool for the room"? Odds are that JRR Toklien would have hated the movies as well. They are moronic versions of his books designed for dimwits and little kids. Dwarf tossing and shield surfing and fart jokes and booger jokes and all sorts of infantile garbage. Some of the most serious moments from the LOTR books are completely cut from the movies to make room for that garbage.

The LOTR films are just as juvenile as the Hobbit ones. Made for the same audience of funkopop junkies and "reaction video" social media whores.

This forum is filled with people who listened to thousands of hours of O&A and watch The Sopranos, a 90 hour show, every year. If something is high quality people want more. If something is horrible quality, like everything Star Wars or Marvel or whatever, the fans still want more. People want more.

Game of Thrones shows that you can make a fantasy show in any setting now. The money and CGI are both there. You just need proper writing and acting to make it all work together. LOTR could have been filmed in its entirety as half of the stuff that is missing are just dialog based scenes and no battles anyways. They literally added like 50 extra battle and action sequences to the Hobbit trilogy including new orcs and enemy groups just to generate even more stupid action and battle sequences.

Look at the barrel riding in the novels compared to the movies. This is how Peter Jackson is. A dumb hack making movies for little kids.
1. Steven King hated the vastly superior Kubrick adaptation of The Shining.

2. Christopher Tolkien and his estate was 100% on board with that faggot Amazon LOTR show that’s coming out with nigger elves and dwarves.

3. Patrick S. Tomlinson weighs far more than he should.

So, I don’t know what point you’re trying to make.

Christopher Tolkien hated them? So? While his father’s opinion would be interesting, you still can’t be a slave to the author’s view of a film adaptation, much less a compiler of his works. It’s a different medium and the product has a different purpose. The books were an intellectual and linguistic exercise for Tolkien almost as much as they were storytelling.

Any mainstream adaptation will balance fidelity to the source with appealing to a general moviegoing audience. That resulted in some cheese and excesses, but taken overall it was a great final product despite the contrarianism of some superfans.

The movies went into production in the very late 90s I think. There were no big-budget prestige TV shows at the time. The was no focus on streaming services. Fantasy on TV was Xena. Big budgets went to movies, so they had to work within those constraints.

I wasn’t talking about the Hobbit movies. Beat up on those all you want.

Last edited:

Former Prez Gerald Ford

Come over and we’ll have nachos. And some beer.

Did he? Would I? Would he? Are they? Were they? Does it? Did they? Is he?

Nice emotional diatribe about a movie series that was released 20 years ago, stupid

G

Christopher Tolkien hated them? So? While his father’s opinion would be interesting, you still can’t be a slave to the author’s view of a film adaptation, much less a compiler of his works. It’s a different medium and the product has a different purpose. The books were an intellectual and linguistic exercise for Tolkien almost as much as they were storytelling.

Any mainstream adaptation will balance fidelity to the source with appealing to a general moviegoing audience. That resulted in some cheese and excesses, but taken overall it was a great final product despite the contrarianism of some superfans.

The movies went into production in the very late 90s I think. There were no big-budget prestige TV shows at the time. The was no focus on streaming services. Fantasy on TV was Xena. Big budgets went to movies, so they had to work within those constraints.

I wasn’t talking about the Hobbit movies. Beat up on those all you want.
I think you both have a point. There's some stuff in the movies that's gay. The shield surf is probably my favorite example. Or "THAT'S BECAUSE HE'S GOT MAH AXE IN HIS NERVOUS SEHSTEM!" A lot of the jokes don't land. That said, I think they still hold up pretty well. They're an adaptation, I can live with some Hollywood bullshit. They look better than anything being made now, especially the 4K versions. I can still rewatch and enjoy them. Of course the book is a masterpiece, but some things just translate differently in a visual medium.

Chapel

Dirty Bastard
I think you both have a point. There's some stuff in the movies that's gay. The shield surf is probably my favorite example. Or "THAT'S BECAUSE HE'S GOT MAH AXE IN HIS NERVOUS SEHSTEM!" A lot of the jokes don't land. That said, I think they still hold up pretty well. They're an adaptation, I can live with some Hollywood bullshit. They look better than anything being made now, especially the 4K versions. I can still rewatch and enjoy them. Of course the book is a masterpiece, but some things just translate differently in a visual medium.
Yeah the Merry, Pippin and Gimli comedy relief shit didn’t work either nor did the relationship with Frodo and Sam. I don’t think the fat fuck and his two frumpy cunts realised Sam and Frodo weren’t faggots, the relationship is like a Office in the British army and his Batman.

G

Yeah the Merry, Pippin and Gimli comedy relief shit didn’t work either nor did the relationship with Frodo and Sam. I don’t think the fat fuck and his two frumpy cunts realised Sam and Frodo weren’t faggots, the relationship is like a Office in the British army and his Batman.
I hate the trend of undercutting a fairly serious moment with quips, and those movies are guilty of it. The Council of Elrond is a pretty serious scene, and the levity of Sam joining is a good way to end it. Then fuckin Merry and Pippin run in like retards and we get the god awful "...so, where are we going?" line. Total overkill.

I hate the trend of undercutting a fairly serious moment with quips, and those movies are guilty of it. The Council of Elrond is a pretty serious scene, and the levity of Sam joining is a good way to end it. Then fuckin Merry and Pippin run in like retards and we get the god awful "...so, where are we going?" line. Total overkill.

Even Elrond going "You shall be the fellowship of the ring" is undermined, since it comes right after two hobbits prance into the screen like goofy children. An ancient gangsta ass nigga like Elrond wouldn't put up with that in the book.

Lamont & Tonelli

Brevity is... wit.
Best part of the series.

Attachments

• stl.gif
    stl.gif
    923.3 KB · Views: 13