Let's settle this shit right now, funsters.

Austin or the Rock

• Stone Cold Steve Funster

• The Rockster

Results are only viewable after voting.

HH Brother

I wanna fuck you up the ass, funster.
I never really saw Austin as that great of a worker compared to some of the other guys around that timeline - Benoit, Eddie, Angle. Lot of punches and stomps. Not that Rock was a particularly great worker either. The years in between the WCW sale and "Cena main events every PPV" were a strange time. You had the established guys - Undertaker, Kane, HHH, HBK. Then you had the former WCW/ECW guys like Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, RVD, Booker, Rey. Then you had the "prospects", guys like Angle, Brock, Edge.

After the McMahon vs Austin feud ended, they didn't really know what to do with him. So they turned him heel and made him head of the Alliance to give him something to do. To feud with other wrestlers, they'd have to look like chumps. Angle wearing his stupid little cowboy hat, Booker T in the supermarket. Austin really only seemed comfortable working with the same handful of guys - Rock, HHH, Taker, Kane.
He was a solid worker pre neck injury but not a technician. He just resorted to brawling after getting hurt and was very limited beyond that.

It's amazing he was even able to do anything after having his neck turned into puddy. I remember when they were working that into the storyline and had him cutting promos with the neckbrace on.

1690218496834.png

HH Brother

Austin saved the company.
There's a lot of things that had to happen to get to that point. If the Curtain Call didn't happen, HHH would've won the King of the Ring and Austin's famous 3:16 promo wouldn't of happened. That was the start of the Attitude Era when there hasn't been someone like that ever in Wrestling. Bret Hart knew what he was and wanted to work with him because he saw he was the future. In their match, Bret won but that match did more for Austin losing than Bret winning.

Jenna

If God truly loved you He'd have made you taller
There wouldn't even have been a WWF anymore without Austin, there wouldn't have been a The Rock either, end of story.

Austin saved the company.

WWF was never going to fail, with or without Austin. WCW was being run by the inmates, the NWO angle was stale but still sold merch and Hogan always needed to be the center of attention. The Screwjob really helped, despite losing Bret there was a crazy buzz surrounding the controversy, and all of it was spiraling to the Mr. McMahon character. Someone else could have played the antihero to Vince.

Not to mention (similar to what we see now with WWE/AEW) there were always going to be guys jumping ship from one company to another. WCW would open the checkbook for guys like Bret and not know how to use them, while guys like Jericho & Benoit who were being held down by backstage politics would be fresh faces in the WWE upper midcard.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Bischoff was too busy with all the toys he inherited from Vince to pay attention to multi billion dollar potential, treester.

DiBiase bailing on WWF for WCW was the best thing to happen to Austin since he was allowed to cut his own promos.
That’s true, when Steve Austin is discussed they really don’t mention how awful the “ringmaster” gimmick was.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
Austin as a worker was much better obviously before Owen fucked him up permanently. It then shortchanged Austin's career and he retired relatively young. I'm glad Austin walked out of the Brock match. Block head faggot with a giant dick tattoo on his chest.

Rock was a great heel, I'll give him that. I liked him a lot back then, but not as much as Austin obviously. But his stuff doesn't hold up.
The limited work he did due to his injury actually worked really well for Steve Austin, I remember he was able to not wrestle often - just come out, cut promos, do shit with McMahon, maybe a stunner etc - so when he did actually wrestle it was a big deal, probably why he so over with the audience, you tuned in to see what he would do and have to order the PPV to watch him wrestle.

HH Brother

The limited work he did due to his injury actually worked really well for Steve Austin, I remember he was able to not wrestle often - just come out, cut promos, do shit with McMahon, maybe a stunner etc - so when he did actually wrestle it was a big deal, probably why he so over with the audience, you tuned in to see what he would do and have to order the PPV to watch him wrestle.
Over exposure would've watered him down for sure.

His match with Michaels was the drizzling shits purely because Michaels was faking his back injury and didn't wanna take a loss, funster.

Tyson's fast count makes me wince to this day. Dumb rascal.

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
The Rock's best incarnation was as Hollywood Rock in 2003, people where tired as shit of his shtick by that point, so he had to turn heel, his chickenshit character cracked me up for sure.

Austin is the GOAT though, his run in 1996 against Bret is gold.

Austin’s match with Bret at Wrestlemania was one of the best examples using blood to really make it memorable.
IMG_8904.jpeg

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Donal Logue!
Austin needed to do his time in ECW so he could rip off Sandman’s style before reaching his true potential. The guy Bischoff fired isn’t the same guy WWE received.

Such a fascinating industry.

From what I gathered, and the tapes I saw in the early days, Steve Austin was a great technical wrestler, with a look, but rarely able to show his promo abilities. That's the man Bischoff fired, which I don't fault him for - I do fault him for firing him via answering machine while he was injured, though.

The fact is that firing lit Austin up. When he went to ECW, Heyman was at his creative peak, and luckily had a history with Steve. So they let him go wild and do his own thing, allowing Austin to be creative by tapping into his anger. Those were great promos and I recommend anyone interested in that kind of history to track them down.

Austin hit a wall when he was saddled with The Ringmaster gimmick, which stifled him until he was finally allowed to be himself again. As was mentioned here, Bret saw real talent and wanted to push him, and that's probably the best handled program of the modern age in that it both took it's time and didn't overstay its welcome. The story was always there in the background, and the blowoff worked: Austin transcended to the Main Event, and the former biggest Babyface in the company became a massive heel to America, and a God every where else in the world.

If a sincere documentary is ever done about Steve Austin, warts and all, I'd absolutely watch it.