I Wanna See the Courthouse Movie! - Part 3

Proud Boy 1

This channel has no videos
IANAL but if they could have demonstrated a direct financial link (i.e. SFWA funded the frivolous lawsuit), this would have been a slam dunk. As dumb as Patrick is, he at least was smart enough to honor the NDA and not mention them by name.
There obviously IS a direct financial link. SFWA members must show with a sworn affidavit that they have made a certain threshold of sales. Not only that, but he has to pay annual dues, both of which are justifications for a debtor to obtain that information. There will 100% come a day when someone be it Fatso or a SFWA officer admits under oath that the lolsuit was paid in full using SFWA donations and dues, but even without that, Rahul is entitled to Fatty's financial info.

Is there any chance it gets extended, or does the judge have to make a final decision tomorrow? They gave Fatso 2 extra tries to come up with a prima facie showing when they presented nothing.
It's 95%+ certain judge will indicate how he's going to rule by the end, then have his clerks type written order explaining why days later. (Jen also needs to have notified the court and Sohn on Friday he was going to dispute anything, we don't know if he did.)

It's wrong that they allowed Pig to probe, but the courts see it differently when there's no identified opposing parties that can incur reputational harm and no opposing petitions. It's just free money for the legal sector of the economy.

AntSucks

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Is there any chance it gets extended, or does the judge have to make a final decision tomorrow? They gave Fatso 2 extra tries to come up with a prima facie showing when they presented nothing.

The only reason they gave Fatty an extension is because he cried and pretended he was being abused at home, so the teacher felt sorry for him. Had he used a professional lawyer and stuck just to the provable facts he might have been told to fuck off there and then.

The only reason they gave Fatty an extension is because he cried and pretended he was being abused at home, so the teacher felt sorry for him. Had he used a professional lawyer and stuck just to the provable facts he might have been told to fuck off there and then.
Judge Stein basically said "I don't what's happening to Patrick, but none of this is illegal". Then he gave him two more chances to make a legal argument before Schulman told them to fuck off.

MINI MINUTES:
No appearances. The Court adopts the tentative ruling as follows:

OTHER SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY WRITERS Non-Party Science Fiction And Fantasy Writers Of America, Inc.'S Notice Of Motion And Motion To Quash Petitioner John Doe 1'S Deposition Subpoena For Production Of Business Records

Moving party's motion to quash is granted. No sanctions are awarded to anyone; the judge pro tem's report and recommendation is otherwise adopted.

Order

Judge: Richard B. Ulmer; Clerk: W. Trupek; Not Reported (302/RBU)

MINI MINUTES:

OTHER SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY WRITERS Non-Party Science Fiction And Fantasy Writers Of America, Inc.'S Notice Of Motion And Motion To Quash Petitioner John Doe 1'S Deposition Subpoena For Production Of Business Records

Moving party's motion to quash is granted. No sanctions are awarded to anyone; the judge pro tem's report and recommendation is otherwise adopted.

Order

Judge: Richard B. Ulmer; Clerk: W. Trupek; Not Reported (302/RBU)
So I guess Quasi knew it was a lost cause and didn't bother having Jerry Jen make arguments. Unlike Pat the idiot who let Stavros Esquire show up empty-handed so that he can repeat the same horse shit that had already been shut down.

FurBurger

Don't call me daughter; not fit to...
MINI MINUTES:
That's a shame; I wish Quasi had asked us for a buck or two for the hearing so we could have chipped in to see JJ slap 'em around a little.

Hopefully he's subpoenaed Brinton's old firm and got the details that way. Either that, or he's pulled Pat's bank statements, found the SFWA's payments and is just chalking them up as income. "The guy got $150k from the SWFA in a single year! He's rolling in dough, your honor! He can afford to pay the whole debt off in a month or two!"

That's a shame; I wish Quasi had asked us for a buck or two for the hearing so we could have chipped in to see JJ slap 'em around a little.

Hopefully he's subpoenaed Brinton's old firm and got the details that way. Either that, or he's pulled Pat's bank statements, found the SFWA's payments and is just chalking them up as income. "The guy got $150k from the SWFA in a single year! He's rolling in dough, your honor! He can afford to pay the whole debt off in a month or two!"
I'm sure that is covered by attorney-client privilege. I don't think you can compel someone's lawyer to give up information about their client.

DassaResto

Dis duck stirr rive!!
There obviously IS a direct financial link. SFWA members must show with a sworn affidavit that they have made a certain threshold of sales. Not only that, but he has to pay annual dues, both of which are justifications for a debtor to obtain that information. There will 100% come a day when someone be it Fatso or a SFWA officer admits under oath that the lolsuit was paid in full using SFWA donations and dues, but even without that, Rahul is entitled to Fatty's financial info.
you got too cocky mang shouldnt have fucked with the first hearing at all mang