I have a theory about why Kevin Smith stuff sucks so much

Will Tate

Oven March
Clerks Animated Series perfected that post-Simpsons era 'Family Guy' wacky adult cartoon format.

Whereas Family Guy is more for millennial retards who just want to clap like seals at bad references, Clerks had genuinely funny gags.

Part of the reason it failed was it was nothing like the movie, so there was no built-in audience. Then you also had them fighting an uphill battle with network on everything from the jokes to the fucking color palette of every frame.

I first saw it thanks to replays on Adult Swim back when they were just a replay block of syndicated 'cool' shows that flew under the radar.

It was well designed, well written, and unfortunately not enough episodes to call it an all timer. The shittiest part is any subsequent reboot will be terrible because everything Kevin Smith touches turns to shit now.

God love Brian OHalloran. That fucker shows up to every convention with a big smile on his face. You can tell he genuinely appreciates the love, regardless of how little it might be.
If I recall correctly ABC also never gave the show a consistent timeslot, which can often be the kiss of death for a show on it's own, at least in the days before on-demand streaming.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
If I recall correctly ABC also never gave the show a consistent timeslot, which can often be the kiss of death for a show on it's own, at least in the days before on-demand streaming.

The only episodes they did air were also played out of order, so nothing made sense.

The story goes that they signed Kevin when they were behind in the ratings. Then suddenly Who Wants to be a Millionaire pushed them to number 1 and they didn't need Clerks cartoon anymore.

Easily_Remembered

Mohammed was a fat incel faggot
The only episodes they did air were also played out of order, so nothing made sense.

The story goes that they signed Kevin when they were behind in the ratings. Then suddenly Who Wants to be a Millionaire pushed them to number 1 and they didn't need Clerks cartoon anymore.

The Clerks cartoon really did impress me. The first episode was rough, but after that, it was definitely better than anything Seth McFarlane has shat out in recent years (it even took a shot at McFarlane I one episode).

It perfected the blend of non-sensical pop culture references and absurdist humor that was refreshing at the time, and is almost a trope now. The episode where Jay sues the Quick Stop in particular is nothing short of a classic.

Will Tate

Oven March

Yes, now that you bring it up I'm remembering that, too, you're right; I'd read an interview with Smith in like 2002-2003 where he went into this, this was also not long after Disney bought ABC, so that factored in as well, Disney had to hold on to their family-friendly image and Clerks didn't fit. Smith hated Disney for that for years, but now he slurps their nuts every time a Marvel or Star Wars movie comes out.