Horror movies that are actually first-rate movies?

Zombie247

Go work. Get Sandwiches
I wouldn't rate this as a "First rate" horror. But, if your a John Carpenter fan. This is a love letter.
153523R1.jpg

IGotATreeOnMyHouse85

Stand Alone Fruit
It's still interesting to see how much more daring mainstream cinema was then. Studios rarely seem to take the risk of alienating audiences now. Today, movies are only hated for being shit.
That’s why the 70s we’re known as the era of the director having control and the studio letting them go and not get in the way. I think it started with The Godfather because the studio was against pretty much all of Coppola’s casting choices (Said No Way to Brando - wanted Ernest Borgnine - wanted Burt Reynolds for James Cann - even said “That Italian midget Pacino will never be in this!”) and Coppola fought back and was right. Then you had Jaws, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over, Deer Hunter, etc. which made the decade incredible. What stopped it was once the top directors all had a flop movie and / or went way over budget (1941, Heavens Gate, New York New York, Apocalypse Now, etc) the studios took control back.

Personally I think what ruined good movies recently was the marvel one that keep getting pumped out. They’re all the same - PG-13 (can’t be R, We Can’t sell toys and other merchandise if it’s R!) same paint by numbers story (they cry and cheer in the correct places like we want them to) and they make insane amounts of money. I joke with people how every new Marvel movie commercial all claim it’s “The Best Marvel movie ever!” Because they’ve said it about every single previous Marvel Movie.

NortheastPhilly

Shock Jock
That’s why the 70s we’re known as the era of the director having control and the studio letting them go and not get in the way. I think it started with The Godfather because the studio was against pretty much all of Coppola’s casting choices (Said No Way to Brando - wanted Ernest Borgnine - wanted Burt Reynolds for James Cann - even said “That Italian midget Pacino will never be in this!”) and Coppola fought back and was right. Then you had Jaws, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over, Deer Hunter, etc. which made the decade incredible. What stopped it was once the top directors all had a flop movie and / or went way over budget (1941, Heavens Gate, New York New York, Apocalypse Now, etc) the studios took control back.

Personally I think what ruined good movies recently was the marvel one that keep getting pumped out. They’re all the same - PG-13 (can’t be R, We Can’t sell toys and other merchandise if it’s R!) same paint by numbers story (they cry and cheer in the correct places like we want them to) and they make insane amounts of money. I joke with people how every new Marvel movie commercial all claim it’s “The Best Marvel movie ever!” Because they’ve said it about every single previous Marvel Movie.
Also Rocky. When Stallone first tried telling people that he wanted to play Rocky himself, they laughed in his face, but it wound up being phenomenal

victor_sanchez

buck breaker supreme
I saw it before nuclear war was something to worry about. It was already horrific then. It's probably the best TV movie ever.
yeah, same deal. i found out about it in 2018 because it was sampled on a conflict album. legit gave me nightmares for a couple weeks. the implication of MAD being the catalyst for losing culture and language was frightening as hell.

i tried showing it to some siblings but they though it was too matter of fact to be scary.