Horror movies that are actually first-rate movies?

stealthygeek

Reminder: Vincent D'Onofrio blocked Patrick
MV5BZTg5MTMyNjktNTZhOC00MGFlLWFlMTMtZGU2MjE3OWQ3NjJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

EDIT: @aRTie02150, this is actually from the same writer as Ghost. Just learned that in the past 5 minutes, pretty disappointed honestly. He also wrote Stuart Little 2.

Last edited:
G

Yeah, kind of parroting what others have already said, including OP. Rosemary's Baby is my number 1.

The slasher stuff never really interested me that much. Neither did the superficial monster shit. What always scared me more was the "what if the people you trusted and relied on turned out to be your worst enemies" kind of horror movies.

So I like Nightmare and Alien etc. But the horror movies that stuck with me were films like Rosemary's Baby, Kill List, Hereditary etc.

I stand by Hereditary and Midsommar being very good.
I saw Midsommar in the cinema and was quite disappointed. Only reason I went to see it was because I loved Hereditary and it was from the same director.

Personally I am a big fan of James Wan when it comes to horror movies. The saw movies are alright but I really enjoy The Conjuring and Insidious movies and all the other movies that are connected to that world (The Nun, Annabelle).

I am also a big fan of found footage movies. There is this one crazy movie where this young woman is stuck with this vampire in his mansion and he keeps chasing her after biting her in her hand. I have the trailer right here as a matter of fact:

Mikekeke

Trouble In Tomlinson Town
Brotherman, brotherman!

The Exorcist 3 is my favorite Exorcist. Skip Exorcist 2, it has nothing to do with the first one.

Evil Dead (2013 Remake) Unrated if you really like gore. The Evil Dead 2 if you like Comedy/Horror that leans more towards comedy.

It's a martial arts movie but I recommend it whenever I can: The Raid: Redemption is kind of like a survival horror. Along a similar vein, Brawl In Cell Block 99 is about a dude fighting his way deeper into the prison system as opposed to fighting his way out.

Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness are both great John Carpenter movies that don't get talked a lot about unless the discussion is about Carpenter in general. Slow, but because they take their time to build up.

Last edited:

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
The slasher stuff never really interested me that much. Neither did the superficial monster shit. What always scared me more was the "what if the people you trusted and relied on turned out to be your worst enemies" kind of horror movies.

Can't fucking sleep, but this will bea good discussion.

So, I hate slashers too. Laziest horror for me. I sorta get the visual enjoyment - well I don't, as I'm not into gore, but it IS a visual medium - however, The Leopard Man is the very first slasher film, but it's brilliant. You never see the acts, but the way they're staged, blocked and shot, your mind makes the shocks worse. Again, it's the benefit of using a low budget to your advantage.

I can't recommend the Val Lewton RKO horror films enough. They're not very scary but they're creepy and have a vibe to them. Check out the original Cat People.

TehSamurai

Hereditary sucked my asshole. Great first half, laughable second.

I'm surprised that Alien hasn't been mentioned, yet. Just a good movie all around. For the most part, Horror sucks as a genre. I get the intended emotions and more from Thrillers, without the terrible characters and lame gore.

DominusOdium

Self Styled Brothaman
Ex
Brotherman, brotherman!

The Exorcist 3 is my favorite Exorcist. Skip Exorcist 2, it has nothing to do with the first one.

Evil Dead (2013 Remake) Unrated if you really like gore. The Evil Dead 2 if you like Comedy/Horror that leans more towards comedy.

It's a martial arts movie but I recommend it whenever I can: The Raid: Redemption is kind of like a survival horror. Along a similar vein, Brawl In Cell Block 99 is about a dude fighting his way deeper into the prison system as opposed to fighting his way out.

Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness are both great John Carpenter movies that don't get talked a lot unless the discussion is about Carpenter in general. Slow, but because they take their time to build up.

Exorcist 3 I would argue is the best Exorcist movie they ever made. Glad to see it getting some love around these parts from brothamen of taste.

Udders

Great food
Freddy Vs. Jason is horror art and anyone who says otherwise is a snob.
I loved it. Listening to how many different ideas and scripts were kicked around for years, it's amazing the story we got is the simplest one that made the most sense.

I've always been more of a Jason fan, but the first 3 or 4 Nightmare movies were really good and better overall movies in their own right.

Former Prez Gerald Ford

Come over and we’ll have nachos. And some beer.
Kill List. Deeply unsettling and overall an excellent movie. Anything Ben Wheatley does is good but since we’re only talking horror go watch that one