Horror movies that are actually first-rate movies?

Raymond

You will never see my penis
I watched The Exorcist the other day. Surprisingly, it was a very good movie by any standard, not just by the lowered shitty standards of the horror genre. Two other movies that goes for would be The Shining and Rosemarie's Baby.

What are some of them other actual movies in that genre we got?

(Say "movies" more often, stupid!)

“night of the living dead” is great too, I’m not a huge horror fan but some of it is really good, features some late 60s violence like when a guy gets bashed in the head and it splits as well as the zombies eating body parts n shit, great ending too

Raymond

You will never see my penis
I put off watching The Exorcist for so long that when I finally did watch it I had seen it parodied so many times it lost any impact. I still enjoy the movie though.
It's still interesting to see how much more daring mainstream cinema was then. Studios rarely seem to take the risk of alienating audiences now. Today, movies are only hated for being shit.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
I remember this being pretty good but it's been probably 14 years since I saw it.
28e7a8bfaca9f1e82904e116b8f914d5--isabelle-adjani-neon.jpg

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
If you can handle a low budget and moments of cheese, Carnival of Souls.

It wears on its sleeve that it's made with no money, but it's not really shot like it. Some of the camera tricks are still very impressive, and the atmosphere in key scenes still hold up. Even though you might see the ending coming, the way it's played straight makes it work. The first time Gosia saw it, she didn't believe the director was a first timer in film (he did educational videos, but still). Keep the expectations in line and you won't waste your time.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
If you can handle a low budget and moments of cheese, Carnival of Souls.

It wears on its sleeve that it's made with no money, but it's not really shot like it. Some of the camera tricks are still very impressive, and the atmosphere in key scenes still hold up. Even though you might see the ending coming, the way it's played straight makes it work. The first time Gosia saw it, she didn't believe the director was a first timer in film (he did educational videos, but still). Keep the expectations in line and you won't waste your time.
You have a great taste in movies brothaman.