Fat's a rocket scientist now

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
rocketpig_logo_v3_blue_1.gif

BudDickman

I worked in that industry during that period and it's pretty accurate too.
I just watched it. It was pretty good, but the parts where they're looking at the numbers and being like "woah... does this say what I think it says" is pretty cliche and unrealistic. I'm guessing the realization of how exposed they were to risk from MBSs would have taken longer to sink in and been much more boring and filled with jargon.

The parts about the traders destroying their relationships with other traders by dumping their shit off was more interesting and seemed more realistic.

G

I just watched it. It was pretty good, but the parts where they're looking at the numbers and being like "woah... does this say what I think it says" is pretty cliche and unrealistic. I'm guessing the realization of how exposed they were to risk from MBSs would have taken longer to sink in and been much more boring and filled with jargon.

The parts about the traders destroying their relationships with other traders by dumping their shit off was more interesting and seemed more realistic.
I don't know. The fundamentals of a lot of those securities were total horseshit and were hieroglyphs to most management types and even traders. The quants like gay Spock's character were more likely to see what was coming.

Absolutely to the second part. The (unnamed) firm in the movie must've been based on Goldman.

BudDickman

I don't know. The fundamentals of a lot of those securities were total horseshit and were hieroglyphs to most management types and even traders. The quants like gay Spock's character were more likely to see what was coming.

Absolutely to the second part. The (unnamed) firm in the movie must've been based on Goldman.
Yeah, I just don't buy that a math geek that none of the decision-makers knew the name of would be able to single-handedly convince them to liquidate a ton of assets at a huge loss. It would have made more sense if the Stanley Tucci character was still with the firm and the one to raise the alarm.

G

Yeah, I just don't buy that a math geek that none of the decision-makers knew the name of would be able to single-handedly convince them to liquidate a ton of assets at a huge loss. It would have made more sense if the Stanley Tucci character was still with the firm and the one to raise the alarm.
Sure but it's a movie and they needed to make it more dramatic. And obviously Tucci's character did the legwork and needed to "disappear" for the subplot with Bettany's character.

G

It might've been more realistic if Stanley Tucci wasn't fired and he had gay Spock and Gossip Girl dude come into his office to look at a spreadsheet. Tucci: "I've been trying to tell the British Marvel Avenger guy about this shit for months, but he hates wops. Can one of you Jews go talk to him?"

Cumiace

One landed a spaceship backwards like something out of a 50's sci-fi movie and the other dumpstered a Star Trek model he spent 2 years on after messing up the paint job. Which one is "full of shit"