Any brothermen History buffs?

G

View attachment 68472

Love me some Hardcore History, really liked his series King of Kings about The Achaemenid Empire and the Greco-Persian Wars.

His retelling of the feud between Sulla and Marius in Death Throes of the Republic is also a highlight for me.

I liked how Marius literally died out of fear for Sulla when Sulla was marching on Rome. Or am i disremembering that?

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
I liked how Marius literally died out of fear for Sulla when Sulla was marching on Rome. Or am i disremembering that?
This is Plutarch's description of the last days of Marius, from his work Roman Lives:

"But Marius himself, now worn out with toils, deluged, as it were, with anxieties, and wearied, could not sustain his spirits, which shook within him as he again faced the overpowering thought of a new war, of fresh struggles, of terrors known by experience to be dreadful, and of utter weariness. He reflected, too, that it was not Octavius or Merula in command of a promiscuous throng and a seditious rabble against whom he was now to run the hazard of war, but that the famous Sulla was coming against him, the man who had once ejected him from the country, and had now shut Mithridates up to the shores of the Euxine Sea.

Tortured by such reflections, and bringing into review his long wandering, his flights, and his perils, as he was driven over land and sea, he fell into a state of dreadful despair, and was a prey to nightly terrors and harassing dreams, wherein he would ever seem to hear a voice saying: "Dreadful, indeed is the lion's liar, even though it be empty."

And since above all things he dreaded the sleepless nights, he gave himself up to drinking-bouts and drunkenness at unseasonable hours and in a manner unsuited to his years, trying thus to induce sleep as a way of escape from his anxious thoughts.

A certain Caius Piso, an historian, relates that Marius, while walking about with his friends after supper, fell to talking about the events of his life, beginning with his earliest days, and after recounting his frequent reversals of fortune, from good to bad and from bad to good, said that it was not the part of a man of sense to trust himself to Fortune any longer; and after this utterance bade his friends farewell, kept his bed for seven days consecutively, and so died.

G

To is Plutarch description of the last days of Marius, from his work Roman Lives:

"But Marius himself, now worn out with toils, deluged, as it were, with anxieties, and wearied, could not sustain his spirits, which shook within him as he again faced the overpowering thought of a new war, of fresh struggles, of terrors known by experience to be dreadful, and of utter weariness. He reflected, too, that it was not Octavius or Merula in command of a promiscuous throng and a seditious rabble against whom he was now to run the hazard of war, but that the famous Sulla was coming against him, the man who had once ejected him from the country, and had now shut Mithridates up to the shores of the Euxine Sea.

Tortured by such reflections, and bringing into review his long wandering, his flights, and his perils, as he was driven over land and sea, he fell into a state of dreadful despair, and was a prey to nightly terrors and harassing dreams, wherein he would ever seem to hear a voice saying: "Dreadful, indeed is the lion's liar, even though it be empty."

And since above all things he dreaded the sleepless nights, he gave himself up to drinking-bouts and drunkenness at unseasonable hours and in a manner unsuited to his years, trying thus to induce sleep as a way of escape from his anxious thoughts.

A certain Caius Piso, an historian, relates that Marius, while walking about with his friends after supper, fell to talking about the events of his life, beginning with his earliest days, and after recounting his frequent reversals of fortune, from good to bad and from bad to good, said that it was not the part of a man of sense to trust himself to Fortune any longer; and after this utterance bade his friends farewell, kept his bed for seven days consecutively, and so died.

So dramatic, i love it.

G

Sometimes it’s hard to imagine they were just human like us. They loved, they hated. They experienced pleasure and pain and hardships, just like us. breathed the same air as us. But yet it seems they lived in a completely different world.

G

I wish I was in the Netherlands right now... We could all be getting shit faced together while talking history before finding a few chubby Germanic broads to warm our beds for the night.

Throw in a Twix bar and it's a Perfect night!

ShutYourCakeHorn

Gassers/Say "Cookie" Alt
So dramatic, i love it.
Plutarch really knows how to paint a picture doesn't he, his biography of Cato The Younger is also a personal favourite of mine.

It was said that Napoleon always carried a copy of Plutarch's Lives with him.

"Of all histories, his biggest favorite was Plutarch's The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans. It stimulated him to dream and worship the exploits of empire-building heroes such as Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great, two of whom he later emulated as a conqueror. Will Durant, author of The Age of Napoleon, the final volume of his popular "Story of Civilization" series, best sums up Napoleon's love for Plutarch's Lives. "He (Napoleon) breathed the passion of those ancient patriots and drank the blood of those historic battles". He was so steeped in Greek and Roman history that Pasquale Paoli, the great Corsican rebel leader was to later remark to him, "There is nothing modern in you; you are entirely out of Plutarch."

G

You're welcome to drop by anytime brotherman, you're one of the good ones!
Gee, thanks brotherman!

Don't be surprised if sometime next year, I send you a DM asking what town I'll be spending the night in.

Now that the Covid restrictions are dying down I've decided I'm going to Europe next year...Just not sure where yet, but I'm half German, so I feel a visit to the fatherland is in order.

I'm like Sam Kinison in 'Back to School', "I hold history sacred, like a farmer holds the ground sacred, or a Christian holds the Bible sacred."...

On a side note, I went to Gettysburg when I was about 13 and hiked up Little Round Top, which I can tell you it doesn't seem as steep as it really is, but anyways on the way back down I had to piss really bad. And wouldn't you know it, there was a huge group of people coming up, the only thing that could cover me was the 20th Maine monument, so I had to hide behind and piss on it. I was begging their forgiveness as I did it, lol

Last edited:
G

I'm like Sam Kinison in 'Back to School', "I hold history sacred, like a farmer holds the ground sacred, or a Christian holds the Bible sacred."...

On a side note, I went to Gettysburg when I was about 13 and hiked up Little Round Top, which I can tell you it doesn't seem as steep as it really is, but anyways on the way back down I had to piss really bad. And wouldn't you know it, there was a huge group of people coming up, the only thing that could cover me was the 20th Maine monument, so I had to hide behind and piss on it. I was begging their forgiveness as I did it, lol
It's so weird to see a post from you that doesn't involve being molested by niggers.....Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Molested by trannies on the other hand….

No, i'd tell you if they did, honestly...

849_1000.gif