WWAWT Xbox game pass?

Fucking hated it. All the fun quirks and mechanics of MGS3-4 they gutted.

As much as I love the first 3 games, 3 being my favorite, it’s not exactly user friendly, weird Japanese controls and much more confined spaces, mgsv is like it’s own game but with very polished mechanics, not sure when you last played it but give it a fair shake, unless you did already and still hated it. I can’t blame you tho it is so radically different (mechanics wise) than the previous games it’s pretty much it’s own thing.

Snake

As much as I love the first 3 games, 3 being my favorite, it’s not exactly user friendly, weird Japanese controls and much more confined spaces, mgsv is like it’s own game but with very polished mechanics, not sure when you last played it but give it a fair shake, unless you did already and still hated it. I can’t blame you tho it is so radically different (mechanics wise) than the previous games it’s pretty much it’s own thing.
I did a Platinum run of it just to get it since it wasn't difficult so I'm very familiar with it. I hated it went to the open world deal since Kojima and his team were over their head clearly. He saw GTAV and wanted it to be like that. It's just a barren wasteland simulator. The enemy AI is awful. The environments are dull. Even the foliage is shitty. Where as in MGS3 individual blades of grass bend over when you crawl through it. There's no real boss fights in it when it's always been a staple of the series. And the """"""plot"""""" couldn't be anymore disinteresting and juvenile.

I'm glad faggot Kojima never had the chance to do that WWII prequel staring the Boss.

Imager

Gen Z Boss And A Mini
The intro was fantastic. The rest of the game had nothing to do with it, though.

I did a Platinum run of it just to get it since it wasn't difficult so I'm very familiar with it. I hated it went to the open world deal since Kojima and his team were over their head clearly. He saw GTAV and wanted it to be like that. It's just a barren wasteland simulator. The enemy AI is awful. The environments are dull. Even the foliage is shitty. Where as in MGS3 individual blades of grass bend over when you crawl through it. There's no real boss fights in it when it's always been a staple of the series. And the """"""plot"""""" couldn't be anymore disinteresting and juvenile.

I'm glad faggot Kojima never had the chance to do that WWII prequel staring the Boss.
Can’t argue with those points sadly, I might just be giddy cause I’m playing it currently after leaving it on the shelf for 6 years. The AI is fucking dumb tho can’t stress that enough.

Snake

Can’t argue with those points sadly, I might just be giddy cause I’m playing it currently after leaving it on the shelf for 6 years. The AI is fucking dumb tho can’t stress that enough.
I used to be really into MGS as a kid, and I always found it to be the most pedestrian game of the series. Like why is this getting 5/5s? It's four missions over and over for 60 hours.

Kojima is such a hack. He had a cowriter for the original trilogy who weirdly disappeared in early production of MGS4 and the series was shit ever since.

I used to be really into MGS as a kid, and I always found it to be the most pedestrian game of the series. Like why is this getting 5/5s? It's four missions over and over for 60 hours.

Kojima is such a hack. He had a cowriter for the original trilogy who weirdly disappeared in early production of MGS4 and the series was shit ever since.

yeah that’s definitely a fair assessment of it, still shits on a lot of other blockbuster games imo and I think in the early stages it’s still pretty fun Bc you don’t have all the OP gear yet, once you unlock the tranq sniper it kinda gets boring. I think in this play through I’ve been avoiding just putting a whole outpost to sleep and having fun w the actual stealth tactics, but the lack of boss fights, nothing to do between outposts, the bland environment is all true and still noticeable as I’m playing it now.

I find the game to be more fun with self imposed rules like not putting everyone to sleep, turning off reflex mode and no kill runs, but at the end of the day it ain’t the proper metal gear experience.

CutesyMissy

"... radio's most notorious shock jock."
For me, a stealthy run in Deus Ex: Human Revolution felt much more Metal Gear than MGS4 and 5.

Yes, MGS 3 was pretty open, but the levels didn't feel like an ounce of butter spreaded on 10 loafs of bread.

Imager

Gen Z Boss And A Mini

MGS pushed video games into movie territory. While FFVII had a blockbuster type feel to it, the fact was the cut scenes were pre-rendered.

MGS actually did have a direction to it, you could tell as a player that it was storyboarded.

It showed what was possible in the PSX era without pre-rendered cinemas. So it pushed the medium forward, even though the storyline wasn't anything special.

Snake

For me, a stealthy run in Deus Ex: Human Revolution felt much more Metal Gear than MGS4 and 5.

Yes, MGS 3 was pretty open, but the levels didn't feel like an ounce of butter spreaded on 10 loafs of bread.
Well crafted setpieces is the way to go for that series. It's still very linear, but it's hidden within it's design.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
You can start with 0 which is a prequel but you might miss out on some cameos/references. I started on 0 and was fine as far as story goes. It's split between two characters and is a great entry point. Just be warned that 3 and 4 will feel like a step back because they were not remade like 1 and 2. 3 is somewhat weak on content but has a great story.
I absolutely agree with this. Though I wonder if I'd have appreciated 0 more if I played the original series first.

But the new one, Like a Dragon, is different. It's an RPG. Went in expecting to hate it, but I like it more than some of the originals.

G

I absolutely agree with this. Though I wonder if I'd have appreciated 0 more if I played the original series first.

But the new one, Like a Dragon, is different. It's an RPG. Went in expecting to hate it, but I like it more than some of the originals.
I saw the trailer for that and I'm interested in it.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
I saw the trailer for that and I'm interested in it.
They did a great job of converting the Yakuza world into an RPG in that one. If you're someone who doesn't like RPGs, the gameplay mechanics aren't as complex as in a "real" RPG; you level up, you get 'spells,' the battles are turn-based and that's mostly it. Figuring out which members to include in your party and the battle rotation is easy to figure out. Takes the same amount of time to destroy the enemies as in a normal Yakuza brawl, so there's not much difference there if you think it'll be a slog.

Story is good, if not great. Lots of callbacks and references to the older games. Characters are super-likeable. But these are usually the case with Yakuza games. But I recommend playing it last because chronologically it comes after the events of Yakuza.

Oh, speaking of: if you play from 0 through Like a Dragon, you'll notice the city evolves and changes over time. But some of it stays the same. It's a superbly immersive game because the cities are so dynamic. I think that might be reason enough to recommend starting at 0 and going up. But, man, it's VERY Japanese. You may need to go to wikipedia a few times to fully understand what some things are.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!

Yeah they really nailed it with trying to be Dragon Quest. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it as I really enjoyed the originals.

G

They did a great job of converting the Yakuza world into an RPG in that one. If you're someone who doesn't like RPGs, the gameplay mechanics aren't as complex as in a "real" RPG; you level up, you get 'spells,' the battles are turn-based and that's mostly it. Figuring out which members to include in your party and the battle rotation is easy to figure out. Takes the same amount of time to destroy the enemies as in a normal Yakuza brawl, so there's not much difference there if you think it'll be a slog.

Story is good, if not great. Lots of callbacks and references to the older games. Characters are super-likeable. But these are usually the case with Yakuza games. But I recommend playing it last because chronologically it comes after the events of Yakuza.

Oh, speaking of: if you play from 0 through Like a Dragon, you'll notice the city evolves and changes over time. But some of it stays the same. It's a superbly immersive game because the cities are so dynamic. I think that might be reason enough to recommend starting at 0 and going up. But, man, it's VERY Japanese. You may need to go to wikipedia a few times to fully understand what some things are.
Sounds good. I'll definitely keep wikipedia nearby because the only stuff I know about Japan is their wrestling and how badly I want to fuck their women.

Meownaw

I GOT DA HAT NOW!
I hear Judgement is good too but I havent played it yet. Pretty much Yakuza but you are a detective or something.

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
I hear Judgement is good too but I havent played it yet. Pretty much Yakuza but you are a detective or something.
Yeah, it looks pretty cool. Does it take place in Kamorocho? I had to play the Yakuza games on PC b/c my kids run the Xbox now. Until Judgment comes out for Windows (which I heard it may not because of some legal issue one of the actors got into, so they removed his voice), I'll have to wait. I can't justify getting a PlayStation 5 for one game.

Isn't that those elder scrolls games? I'm not really into anything drangony or renaissance faire-ish.

I'm more into games like borderlands and far cry and fallout (I know what you're going to say, they are made by the same company and are a similar game but I just can't get into that "ye olden warrior" type shit)
Fuck parapets.