WWAWT Greece? 🇬🇷

Cyberatorquer

Five Sink Gangster Cribs
‎
‎
Great destination, I just went about 3 weeks ago.

I didn’t go to Athens but visited Thessaloniki instead. Vurrry fawkin’ cool and you can check out some amazing Byzantine architecture, in addition to some Late Antique monuments. I spent one morning checking out the triumphal arch of Galerius which depicts his conquest of savage Persians in the 2nd century. Fawkin’ cool.

I like the Turkish minaret next to it (hidden in the scaffolding).
Greece is very much overrun with Syrian refugees, so keeping some of the Ottoman architectural features was a great idea in hindsight.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
‎
‎
I like the Turkish minaret next to it (hidden in the scaffolding).
Greece is very much overrun with Syrian refugees, so keeping some of the Ottoman architectural features was a great idea in hindsight.
Indeed. Big fawkin’ fan of the ottoman legacy there.

Yeah, there are a lot of refugees there for sure. I’d still recommend a trip though, you can generally avoid their nonsense.

Patrick O'Neal

‎
‎
I went to Kefalonia with a hot girlfriend and got as many looks as she did. The men really are naturally inclined to gaiety.

We hired a boat one day and sailed around the coast. Saw a picture postcard town and just pulled up and checked it out! It was pretty sweet.

There are no major sites on the island, but if you want to sit around in a cafe for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the day drinking small cups of coffee and doing absolutely fuck all then you will fit right in.

JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS

DMANIAC
‎
‎
Ok well it’s not going to be summer so is it still worth a few days in the islands? Or should we just fly somewhere else for a few days?
We went to Paros during the summer years ago but didn’t really go to the beaches outside of taking walks. We went on hikes, took a cooking class where we picked our own vegetables, went on a wine tour, went to eat in the town, etc. We found plenty of shit to do that didn’t involve the beach so It was worthwhile for us.

We also went to Santorini but that’s definitely a tourist trap. Pretty good food, beautiful scenery but noticeably more expensive and crowded with people who look like Patrick.

Athen is good as long as you stay in the rich parts, which we did. We got a private tour of the Acropolis, which was worth it because she made everything more conversational and shared some local knowledge of the neighborhoods. Plus we weren’t inconvenienced by any Patrick’s acting like they were an expert.

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
‎
‎
Plus we weren’t inconvenienced by any Patrick’s acting like they were an expert.
No, Greek child, the Parthenon was destroyed by conservative Venetian political policies in the seventeenth century. It diD noT fall inTo disrepair aT the hands of the OTTomans. Your Islamophobia is showing.

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
‎
‎
As your resident Greek who's been there almost every summer, I can say go. I hate Athens because it's full of pakis, albs and Russians. However there is so much history there it's worth it to see the sites. My suggestion is to find a place to go out Athens. November is tough though, you can get some shit weather and the islands aren't worth it, unless you choose one of the ones close to Athens
The food is great and cheap, the beers are cheap and good and the nightlife is awesome. If you stay in Glyfada, that's the wealthy area and won't be bothered by Paki scum. Stay away from any hotels near omonoia Square that place is a dump now

G

As your resident Greek who's been there almost every summer, I can say go. I hate Athens because it's full of pakis, albs and Russians. However there is so much history there it's worth it to see the sites. My suggestion is to find a place to go out Athens. November is tough though, you can get some shit weather and the islands aren't worth it, unless you choose one of the ones close to Athens
The food is great and cheap, the beers are cheap and good and the nightlife is awesome. If you stay in Glyfada, that's the wealthy area and won't be bothered by Paki scum. Stay away from any hotels near omonoia Square that place is a dump now
The hotels I’m looking at are the fancy one immediately east and northeast of the Acropolis, so whatever that area is called.

How long would you suggest staying in Athens? I’d like to see most of the big sites there and maybe some of the better museums and I know there are a few other sites outside of town that can be visited on day trips while based in Athens.
Is there another place worth staying for a few days in November? Or should I just go to some other city/country for a couple days like Prague or something?

Jims_Maroon_Pants

‎
‎
The hotels I’m looking at are the fancy one immediately east and northeast of the Acropolis, so whatever that area is called.

How long would you suggest staying in Athens? I’d like to see most of the big sites there and maybe some of the better museums and I know there are a few other sites outside of town that can be visited on day trips while based in Athens.
Is there another place worth staying for a few days in November? Or should I just go to some other city/country for a couple days like Prague or something?
That area is called monastiraki or plaka thats a real nice area with incredible views but also touristy. Beware of the tourist traps. Although in November it's mostly locals so go where they go. One thing they try and do is bring you food you didn't order don't be shy to send it away and always ask for a receipt or pricing up front. The national museum is incredible its a must see. Greece is so old that there isn't just the ancient stuff there's plenty of byzantine and medieval stuff too. Just outside of Athens are some temple ruins to see, I think it's Poseidon, or Zeus I can't remember. If the weather is good those are good to see. Prague I've heard is amazing too but probably buried in snow in November. It sounds corby but booking one of the tours to take you all around the ancient sites is pretty cool. Athens is generally a safe city really, like in said watch the tourist traps they will try and overcharge you

Last edited:
G

That area is called monastiraki or plaka thats a real nice area with incredible views but also touristy. Beware of the tourist traps. Although in November it's mostly locals so go where they go. One thing they try and do is bring you food you didn't order don't be shy to send it away and always ask for a receipt or pricing up front. The national museum is incredible its a must see. Greece is so old that there isn't just the ancient stuffz there's plenty of byzantine and medieval stuff too. Just outside of Athens are some temple ruins to see, I think it's Poseidon, or Zeus I can't remember. If the weather is good those are good to see. Prague I've heard is amazing too but probably buried in snow in November. It sounds corby but booking one of the tours to take you all around the ancient sites is pretty cool. Athens is generally a safe city really, like in dais watch the tourist traps they will try and overcharge you
Thanks. Prague may not have been a good example but some other Mediterranean place that you can get to with a direct flight from Athens that wouldn’t be too cold in November. Or can we find enough to do around there for a week that it isn’t necessary to leave?

Jims_Maroon_Pants

‎
‎
Thanks. Prague may not have been a good example but some other Mediterranean place that you can get to with a direct flight from Athens that wouldn’t be too cold in November. Or can we find enough to do around there for a week that it isn’t necessary to leave?
A week should be fine, but if you are afraid of getting bored, Italy isn't too far off, neither is Croatia. I'd recommend Istanbul too, but I hate Turks and everything they are proud of having is Greek anyhow
Crete is a short flight too and the weather is nice the Minoan ruins are amazing.