WWAWT Greece? 🇬🇷

G

My wife and I have about a week of vacation around thanksgiving and we’re looking for somewhere to go that won’t have shitty weather around that time. The Euro is way down vs the dollar right now so I thought it would be a good idea to go there somewhere and started looking at Greece since apparently it averages around 65 degrees in November and I’m seeing swanky hotels for $1200-$1,800 for a whole week.

Anyone been there before? How did you like it? We can take as many as 8 days so how should we spend that time? All in Athens with various day trips to other sites or stay in Athens part of the time and somewhere else for part of the time?

JoeCumiawearsDIAPERS

DMANIAC
‎
‎
Greece is great. The food is basically Italian but with less carbs. Tomatoes and cucumbers, feta cheese, Greek yogurt. That type of shit. I was pleasantly surprised by how cheap everything was when I was there.

Athens is good for a day or two. There’s a lot of history stuff you’ll want to see.

I’d also recommend checking out some of the smaller islands. They’re great for summer travel with the beaches and stuff. May not be ideal for November but just throwing it out there for what it’s worth.

Highly recommend

G

Greece is great. The food is basically Italian but with less carbs. Tomatoes and cucumbers, feta cheese, Greek yogurt. That type of shit. I was pleasantly surprised by how cheap everything was when I was there.

Athens is good for a day or two. There’s a lot of history stuff you’ll want to see.

I’d also recommend checking out some of the smaller islands. They’re great for summer travel with the beaches and stuff. May not be ideal for November but just throwing it out there for what it’s worth.

Highly recommend
Ok well it’s not going to be summer so is it still worth a few days in the islands? Or should we just fly somewhere else for a few days?

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
‎
‎
Great destination, I just went about 3 weeks ago.

I didn’t go to Athens but visited Thessaloniki instead. Vurrry fawkin’ cool and you can check out some amazing Byzantine architecture, in addition to some Late Antique monuments. I spent one morning checking out the triumphal arch of Galerius which depicts his conquest of savage Persians in the 2nd century. Fawkin’ cool.

From there we went to the island of Thassos, which I’d also recommend. I remember thinking that even for high summer season, it wasn’t insanely crowded like some of the other islands (like Mykonos) and it was surprisingly cheap. We are amazing seafood everyday, the white wine was great, and usually we’d knock back a few shots of tsipouro at my buddy’s island house (old as shit, but nice, even without any air conditioning).

The food was very, very good, and I liked that it was healthy. Sure, there were tourist traps where you saw fat fuck English people scarfing frozen calamari and drinking the shittiest Greek lagers, but you can find some very authentic, local places and the people are more than happy to have tourists.

Check it out, brothaman!

Edit:
I think that the islands in November will be almost empty, but if you’re interested in that kind of vibe I would definitely recommend them.

Haven’t been to Athens, as I said above, but I imagine it would be like most other capitals when you’re traveling through Europe. Probably fine for a day or two, but I’d think that basing your whole trip from there could get tedious. Again, I haven’T been there, child, I’m sorry you’re so sTupiD.

8 days should be fine for checking out Greece.

Last edited:

Riccardo Bosi

watches seasons 3-9 all the time, child.
‎
‎
Haven’t been to Athens, as I said above, but I imagine it would be like most other capitals when you’re traveling through Europe. Probably fine for a day or two, but I’d think that basing your whole trip from there could get tedious. Again, I haven’T been there, child, I’m sorry you’re so sTupiD.
It's supposedly quite shitty and filthy. Greek people I know can't stress this enough.

Thessaloniki, I know people whose family is from there, is known to be great. Not too far from Athens. All Greeks tend to love Crete too. It's all good weather and good food, no wonder they don't work or pay taxes.

G

Greece is great but I wouldn't stay in Athens for more than a couple of days. See the sights and then spend the rest of the time on one of the islands. Crete, Rhodes and Lesbos are nice as are some of the Ionian islands like Zakynthos.