WWAWD Mad Season?

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
I read mark lanegan of the screaming trees memoir sing backwards and weep. The audio version read by lanegan himself (Co written by Stanhope affiliate mishka shubaly, who before contracting Trump derangement syndrome wrote very good music) is the ideal way to experience it. Lots of stories about layne Staley and Kurt Cobain and lanegans insane drug use. It's kind of insane how much of the book lanegan spends impoverished and/or homeless despite having a gold record and a song in rotation on MTV. It's a brutally honest book full of regret and self loathing. Lanegan sounds like a depressed Steven Wright while he reads his story which makes it funnier and sadder when it needs to be.

Ive been a huge Alice in Chains fan for years but I never checked out Mad Season, the supergroup featuring Staley, Mike McCready from pearl jam, and lanegan and Barrett Martin from screaming trees. They only did one album and I believe most of the band is dead now because heroin. But that one album is PFG. Been loving this track in particular...

The one big hit river of deceit from that album isn't even that good. Lifeless Dead could've easily been an AiC song. Wake Up is great, though it is kinda sad hearing Layne essentially sing at himself trying to get himself off the shit. If that dumb whore demri perrot hadn't fucked the entire city of Seattle and broken his heart and then died we'd probably still have him around instead of weak ass william Duvall. Anyways that's my essay about what I listened to on summer vacation.

PickleRickle

You are not a glowie. You are just stupid.
I've got the re-release with the newer songs they did with Mark. Locomotive was a really fucking good new song they did. I'm a huge fan of this album. One of my favorites.

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
I've got the re-release with the newer songs they did with Mark. Locomotive was a really fucking good new song they did. I'm a huge fan of this album. One of my favorites.
Fawkin great recommendation, brothaman. Mark has some good solo shit as well. Screaming Trees were kinda generic horseshit and he admits as much in his book but when he was actually engaged with what he was doing he was a true talent.

Loved the Trees and loved the solo stuff. Caught him in damn near every configuration and collaboration but the Trees (ran into him buying Lucky Charms at a convenience store either before or after a QOTSA gig). However, I walked away from the book thinking that he was kinda a dick. Which, I actually kinda liked after chewing it over a for a bit. I mean, if you're the narrator of your own story, and you come across as kinda loathsome, and not in a cool, anti-hero way, that's a choice.

A good collaboration he did was the Gutter Twins w/Greg Dulli.

AwfulManTitTankTop

"AnTi-swaTTing laws"
Loved the Trees and loved the solo stuff. Caught him in damn near every configuration and collaboration but the Trees (ran into him buying Lucky Charms at a convenience store either before or after a QOTSA gig). However, I walked away from the book thinking that he was kinda a dick. Which, I actually kinda liked after chewing it over a for a bit. I mean, if you're the narrator of your own story, and you come across as kinda loathsome, and not in a cool, anti-hero way, that's a choice.

Yeah, he put a lot of people he toured with through hell with all his bullshit. But I appreciated how honest he was about his past and the sincere regret and self loathing he grappled with regarding his drug use. The story where he was looking for Kurt in 94 and all he gave a fuck about was the smack he copped that day really tugged on the ol heartstrings. If nothing else it was a completely unromanticized take on rock and roll excess and SUPER fucking dark at times.

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
I loved all of those bands back in the day and still love so much of Lanegan's stuff post-Screaming Trees but the Mad Season album was always a disappointment to me. Not that it's bad or anything it's just remarkably unremarkable. A few times over the years I've tried to go back to it to see if it finally works for me but it really is just background music. I agree the Lanegan fronted stuff is definitely the best and River of Deceit is not particularly good and was a very weird choice for a lead single.

Dulli was pretty much my muse as a teenager. The Gutter Twins album is fucking great and I'm really sad they never made another full length album.