WWAWD Homer being an abusive husband in the early episodes of The Simpsons?

AntsBatteryCharge

&$;;-:
They used to show things like Homer being a bad father, but at some point the joke became a character directly mentioning things like that... telling instead of showing. Celebrity guest voices used to play different characters, but now they play themselves, and the joke is "Hey look, it's (famous person)!" In the old days, they rewrote and added things until the last minute.

I don't think I know anyone who still watches it. I definitely never hear about it unless something annoying happens.

SensibleKeks

The writer of the episode, Ian Maxtone-Graham, has stated on Twitter that the store's name is, in fact, a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where "feed" and "seed" both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Fuck and Suck".

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
Once again I can't quote the post above for some reason but I think it sums up the difference between when the show started declining and the dregs of where it is now. Back then there'd still be some gags in an episode where you had to think a little or at least have knowledge of something to appreciate them. Nowadays it'll just be a reference to a Marvel movie or Taylor Swift. A big part of what made the show great for a few years were the cunty Harvard guys who wrote it. Now it's all lowest common denominator references and pandering Twitter shit.

EraGodless

They used to show things like Homer being a bad father, but at some point the joke became a character directly mentioning things like that... telling instead of showing. Celebrity guest voices used to play different characters, but now they play themselves, and the joke is "Hey look, it's (famous person)!" In the old days, they rewrote and added things until the last minute.

I don't think I know anyone who still watches it. I definitely never hear about it unless something annoying happens.
I have not watched an episode in over 20 years. I don't consider it a badge of honor. It's rather depressing. It was such a great show and then just shit- seemingly overnight. The fact that it's still on is amazing. It's why the voice actors are making less than they did 15 years ago. They have had to take massive pay cuts.

Jenna

and her hair smells like red froot loops
I don't get how it can be THAT bad. Even SNL manages to write an accidentally funny sketch every 7-8 episodes or so. It's one of those pop culture institutions that pretty much everyone grew up with, yet nobody can save it and I'm reading retarded shit like "they made Chief Wiggum's wife into a secret genius".