WWAWD Homer being an abusive husband in the early episodes of The Simpsons?

G

Old school simpsons were the original South Park. Matt and Trey both say that the simpsons were the biggest influence on them. They were happy to be friends with the writers when they did the “Cartoon Wars” episodes. Surprised you didn’t know they used to be pretty “edgy” and “offensive”. Linger longer.
Of course I knew they were edgy. I'm talking about I was surprised that Homer's character was abusive to Marge.

Gay Faggot.

I am Dan.
Of course I knew they were edgy. I'm talking about I was surprised that Homer's character was abusive to Marge.
Well now don’t I feel stupid. I’m sorry I did that. I’m sorry I did that.

Edit: I still stand by my apology, like a faggot, but what did you think was edgy in the 80’s? Al Bundy was ripping on fat chicks everyday and condemning his (hot) slut daughter.

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
What would you say was the point the show hit rock bottom? Or even just when the episode quality started to decline?
I know a lot of people think season 9 is the decline because it became high concept and wacky as fuck. In retrospect that was the turning point I guess but since it was still mostly really funny I didn’t give a shit. Season 10 was definitely the season where I started feeling half the episodes were off and by season 12 it was mostly shit. The S12 episode guest starring The Who was the first time I remember thinking it just flat-out sucked. I’m sure if I went back and did a full rewatch there’d be earlier episodes than that but that was the first one for me that really left me thinking the show is dead.

I watched the most recent episode the other day and the second half was entirely a Hamilton-style hip hop musical about how zoomers can’t afford to buy houses anymore. So, it’s gotten a lot worse.

G

I know a lot of people think season 9 is the decline because it became high concept and wacky as fuck. In retrospect that was the turning point I guess but since it was still mostly really funny I didn’t give a shit. Season 10 was definitely the season where I started feeling half the episodes were off and by season 12 it was mostly shit. The S12 episode guest starring The Who was the first time I remember thinking it just flat-out sucked. I’m sure if I went back and did a full rewatch there’d be earlier episodes than that but that was the first one for me that really left me thinking the show is dead.

I watched the most recent episode the other day and the second half was entirely a Hamilton-style hip hop musical about how zoomers can’t afford to buy houses anymore. So, it’s gotten a lot worse.
Did you know they turned Chief Wiggum into Peter Griffin?

[MEDIA=youtube]bMCiWPp3hYk[/MEDIA]

TorqueWheeler

Dan, that's another OnA reference
You just reminded me to post this gif of Dan every time someone made a reference over the last few years.

v0-Ubif-r-FT1rq-JGhd-Hyx-JJqk-G94.gif

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates

I agree with your assessment of the decline. But when I first noticed that I didn’t laugh at an episode was the Fleet-A-Pita one where Marge begins selling pretzels and it ends in some stupid gang fight outside of their house. That one sticks with me was one of those moments where I thought “this show sucks now”

TorqueWheeler

I agree with your assessment of the decline. But when I first noticed that I didn’t laugh at an episode was the Fleet-A-Pita one where Marge begins selling pretzels and it ends in some stupid gang fight outside of their house. That one sticks with me was one of those moments where I thought “this show sucks now”
Yeah, I totally get that but there's a Iine in that episode where the woman shilling the business says the extremely ethnic chef's name is "Christopher" that always made me laugh. For me, season 12 was the point where entire episodes had zero laughs for the first time so that's how I judge it but I completely understand your POV.

NortheastPhilly

Shock Jock

I think people forget how easily amused we were as a society before we collectively started overanalyzing things on the internet.

Me and my dad used to fuckin howl at this scene, even though now I can be a snob about it and say the show sucked at this point.