WWAW Sports video games being terrible?

Cuphead

Formerly know as Fat Abbot
I don't play too many, but I had UFC 4 downloaded from one it was one of the free PS games of the month and as a fan of UFC holy fuck does this game blow. Slow combat, unresponsive controls, so many instances where damage doesn't make any sense, and the wrestling mechanics are garbage. It's the only game I've played in maybe a decade that's so bad it made me angry and STAYED ANGRY!

JesseTheGovernor

Access to the Debates
The UFC games are total shit.

As a kid I loved Madden but I fell out of it. Tried one again from 2020 on the advice of a friend and it was worse than I remember.

The best ones seem to be MLB The Show, NBA2K and FIFA. If you like the franchise mode stuff only then Football Manager is good if you like soccer. Some soccer fans claim PES has better gameplay than FIFA but I haven’t tried it.

I still like the FORZA series for racing. The F1 series kind of stinks imo. Golf lost it’s lustre after they stopped having Tiger as the title athlete.

The best sports game no longer around for me is Fight Night boxing. Loved it but the boxing gamer market is probably nil nowadays with it being more if a boomer sport.

TheGhostOfAbeVigoda

The Backbone of America
NHL games are shit now too. You used to be able to hit guys into their benches and shatter the glass and stuff and they took all that out like 10 years ago and now the games have just been the exact same level of shit since.

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
I honestly haven't played anything recent so I shouldn't really comment. The latest sports game I played was PGA something or another on PS4 that was free on PSN. I just wanted to play a few holes and the damn thing put me into a creature creation suite that would have been an overload from an RPG. From the bit I ended up playing it seemed fun but seemed very complex at first, im sure if I would have spent more time on it I could have gotten used to it.

I still have a wii hooked up and my father will ask to play once in a while on his weekend visits. I have no idea why nintendo didnt make a fully featured golf game with the wii sports+ controls.

What about retro sports games? I used to play the hell out of Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. On the last day of 4th grade a black kid who was my friend gave me his lunch box full of stuff that was sitting in his locker as a goodbye gift. Inside of it was piles of nfl,nba,mlb cards a fucking box cutter (in 4th grade) and a copy of Bill Laimbeers Combat Basketball. The gameplay in that game blew but the fact you could name and create teams and set there colors for the seasons drew me in and I played it all summer.

Cuphead

The UFC games are total shit.

As a kid I loved Madden but I fell out of it. Tried one again from 2020 on the advice of a friend and it was worse than I remember.

The best ones seem to be MLB The Show, NBA2K and FIFA. If you like the franchise mode stuff only then Football Manager is good if you like soccer. Some soccer fans claim PES has better gameplay than FIFA but I haven’t tried it.

I still like the FORZA series for racing. The F1 series kind of stinks imo. Golf lost it’s lustre after they stopped having Tiger as the title athlete.

The best sports game no longer around for me is Fight Night boxing. Loved it but the boxing gamer market is probably nil nowadays with it being more if a boomer sport.
Speaking of boxing, did anyone have this game growing up? It was fun as shit. We'd play this for hours after school

1657116817087.png

johnnynoname

I have a face like a shovel
for the most part, the games aren't terrible.......YOU just got older

....however- I have to agree that there hasn't been a great MMA game since PRIDEFc on Dreamcast

Cuphead

for the most part, the games aren't terrible.......YOU just got older

....however- I have to agree that there hasn't been a great MMA game since PRIDEFc on Dreamcast
The only other MMA game I played was UFC Undisputed on PS3 years ago. The game wasn't a terrible game, but it was just your typical run of the mill sports fighting game and didn't really have a whole lot of resemblance to actual UFC. I don't even think it even had a wrestling aspect to it.

UFC 4 is just an all around broken game I'm shocked it actually got good reviews from critics. I looked around online and all MMA fans seem to despise it so I'm not sure who the fuck is actually playing it.

I get that it sucks how EA Sports started phoning it in once they realized people will buy the next years game no matter what, but I think people have unrealistic standards for video games. Its a fuckin video game, its kinda supposed to be an absurd version of things. I dont want to have to scan the field with that spotlight to complete a pass and all that other gay shit they kept adding over the years. Madden peaked in like 2004

Slackjawed Cow

I laugh at them because they're all the same.
I dont even buy the new ones when they come up. I buy the older one that are $5 and play it for two years. I dont play against other people online so I dont need the current title. I just take my time and go through seasons. I got sick of them focusing on "my team" and copy/pasting the game every year with a roster update. Ill play NBA2k and I still play Forza 7.

The only other MMA game I played was UFC Undisputed on PS3 years ago. The game wasn't a terrible game, but it was just your typical run of the mill sports fighting game and didn't really have a whole lot of resemblance to actual UFC. I don't even think it even had a wrestling aspect to it.

UFC 4 is just an all around broken game I'm shocked it actually got good reviews from critics. I looked around online and all MMA fans seem to despise it so I'm not sure who the fuck is actually playing it.
UFC Undisputed 3 was fucking dope. The one with Anderson Silva on the cover. It even had the PRIDE license. I haven't played it in like 10 years but I remember it being pretty realistic and it's the only MMA game where the grappling & submissions wasn't a complete pain in the ass. I also remember the career mode being really good because you could fight in Pride & UFC and also create your own fight cards that was like watching an actual UFC pay-per-view at the time.

I get that it sucks how EA Sports started phoning it in once they realized people will buy the next years game no matter what, but I think people have unrealistic standards for video games. Its a fuckin video game, its kinda supposed to be an absurd version of things. I dont want to have to scan the field with that spotlight to complete a pass and all that other gay shit they kept adding over the years. Madden peaked in like 2004
I think ‘04 was the last version I played a lot, and I really liked it.
I didn’t play another one until about 2017-2018, and I couldn’t be bothered. The attempt to make it hyper-realistic made it unplayable for me, or else I just got old.
Gimme a jug of Pepsi, a box of Cheez-its, and Tecmo Super Bowl, and I’ll play all night.

LingerLonger

Still spreading the O&A virus
Real sports game are usually pure shit. Nothing but cash grabs with a big recognizable license. But more fantasy or cartoonish based 'sports' games are usually pretty good. Instead of playing UFC4 just play like Street Fighter or Tekken or whatever. Play Mario Soccer or Nintendo Switch Bowling or Golf. Or instead of being a total faggot actually play sports in real life.

G

Sports games went to shit when they started selling rights to names and appearances and shit. Now certain companies have monopoly and there is no competition. Just update the rosters and sell for 65 a piece. Goldmine.

There hasn't been a better baseball game Mde than MVP baseball 2005. Incredible with all the technology avaible how corporations (maaan) can't make a good product.