WWAW Messi maina

Is it a real thing? I see press reports of tickets for games featuring him going for silly money but I don't know how legitimate that stuff ever is. It's funny seeing old Messi completely boss things though when he's probably not even half the player he once was. It helps that the MLS is pretty shit. Nice just let Messi run past you in the last few minutes without going after him like that stupid

Cyberatorquer

Five Sink Gangster Cribs
It's a con-job from media, sponsors and the league. Astroturfed nonsense that will likely deflate soon, because soccer is a sport where by the nature of it nothing happens.

Giving Messi questionable free kicks in the last 3 minutes of a tied game so he can score another highlight goal will accomplish nothing

It's a con-job from media, sponsors and the league. Astroturfed nonsense that will likely deflate soon, because soccer is a sport where by the nature of it nothing happens.

Giving Messi questionable free kicks in the last 3 minutes of a tied game so he can score another highlight goal will accomplish nothing
You guys are happy enough with baseball which is one of the slowest sports I have ever seen

People respect greatness, there’s nothing confusing about it.

I respect great athletes from sports I have no interest in.
I wouldn't pay to watch tom Brady, labron James or whoever the biggest hockey player is play in the very shitty hardly watched leagues we have in the UK for their sports

Seems American sports fans are easily blinded by the hype than the actual substance I guess

So what? He’s still probably going to win the balon door 2023, Americans value sports greatness. That’s why we all love video games player of the century American hero Billy Mitchell.
You may as well start a legitimate veterans league with 40 year olds then. Balon D'or and all those individual awards are absolutely meaningless bling to Impress the easily distracted. It's all about trophies as a side. Harry kane could've stayed at spurs and become premier league top scorer of all time but he went to win trophies as a side rather than individual awards

SquealersWheel

I was only jokin'
There's a lot of hispanics in the United States and even the ones from outside of Argentina love the guy. Could be wrong but I don't think he has any scandals and he seems pretty humble, unlike Ronaldo. When they played against France, you had a guy that married his high-school sweetheart playing against an arrogant cum-eating tranny chaser :image_9248: (on top of the other factors that made Argentina more likeable). Nobody watches MLS but with the shifting demographics and them pulling in all-timers like him, it might actually end up growing in popularity.

Cyberatorquer

Five Sink Gangster Cribs
I think the Qataris are generally upright, god-fearing, humble people like Boq and for arguments sake I want to include their economic and political elites as well (Boq is the son of diplomats and merchants).
However I can believe that the Qataris saw great potential in tying Lionel Messi's name to theirs by Argentina winning the World Cup in their own country.
Messi and Ronaldo were adversaries at the club stages, each winning every relevant team and player award multiple times.
But neither ever had relevant international success representing their respective home countries before Ronaldo won the European Championship a few years ago. But Messi still had his Copa Americas and Argentina is not part of UEFA.
It still gave Ronaldo a slight edge because the EC is at least the 2nd best int. soccer cup, maybe better than a WC.

So this gave the Qataris a chance to actively create the ultimate soccer storyline:

At the last chance, Messi gets his final, missing piece trophy, while Ronaldo (who criticized Israel and made affronts against Fifa sponsor Coca Cola) also likely at his last World Cup, was eliminated early. In Qatar where soccer magic happens

Now the Americans use that for marketing purposes. Might be that Messi actually repays the Americans who made it possible via their Qatari Agents. :fighter_sm:

Jims_Maroon_Pants

crumbly feta enjoyer
NFL games in London sell out in seconds.
It's because of the novelty not because the Brits are rabid bucks fans or whatever the fuck team is playing. The fact is, soccer is growing in America. The old codgers that were told by their elders that soccer is boring but somehow baseball a game of stats, estimates, player ticks, spitting, no fitness, too much jewelry over a span of 200 games is somehow exciting is over.
Plus white people are still good at this game, so there is no fear of your kid growing up worshipping some ghetto criminal who can't speak his native tongue

Jims_Maroon_Pants

crumbly feta enjoyer
Baseball is not a good spectator sport but you have to respect the fact that it's not gay like soccer. I'm not going to insult your intelligence with examples, everybody knows what I'm talking about
Baseball requires tools to play, you need gloves, bats etc. All soccer requires is a ball, a net can be 2 rocks, trees etc and can be played anywhere. Soccer promotes fitness, baseball is a lazy sport with moments of physical activity.

It's because of the novelty not because the Brits are rabid bucks fans or whatever the fuck team is playing. The fact is, soccer is growing in America. The old codgers that were told by their elders that soccer is boring but somehow baseball a game of stats, estimates, player ticks, spitting, no fitness, too much jewelry over a span of 200 games is somehow exciting is over.
Plus white people are still good at this game, so there is no fear of your kid growing up worshipping some ghetto criminal who can't speak his native tongue
There's also people from the whole of Europe who travel to London for those games as it's far easier than flying to the US. I only know one person who watches/has a side in the NFL.

Cyberatorquer

Five Sink Gangster Cribs
Baseball requires tools to play, you need gloves, bats etc. All soccer requires is a ball, a net can be 2 rocks, trees etc and can be played anywhere. Soccer promotes fitness, baseball is a lazy sport with moments of physical activity.
Why are there 8 referees, hundreds of laser cameras, 5 more video referees at a remote location, goal line technology and chipped soccer balls when I try to watch Parathikaikos vs Arsenal but it's such any easy game to play by yourself. Seems like the two aren't the same sport anymore. I get what you say about playing yourself but that's not what the sport has mutated into on the "telly"