• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

WWAW great movie scenes

Uncle Floyd

Nice try, Floyd.
Forum Clout
I love the Thin Man films; William Powell and Myrna Loy were my template for the kind of relationship I wanted as an adult. I'd like to think I've achieved that, minus the drinking.

The first one is still the best, despite the fact Nick and Nora aren't onscreen enough. However, it's the only pre-code film of the six, so it's repartee holds up better. And this is one of my favorite scenes here, which demonstrates the value their chemistry had.

Big Dashiell Hammett fan, but've only seen the first Thin Man. Are the other ones worth the time?

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
Big Dashiell Hammett fan, but've only seen the first Thin Man. Are the other ones worth the time?

They are, but you need to temper your expectations. Once the Hayes Code got enforced in late 1934, lots of shit changed, most for the worst. Good writers found subtle ways around the limitations - and luckily, the first three Thin Man films have the same director and writers, the latter being a married couple themselves. You add Powell and Loy, you could make anything work.

After The Thin Man and Another Thin Man, i.e. 2 & 3, hold up well with great bits, and learned the biggest lesson from the first films major flaw: when Nick and Nora aren't on screen, the movie drags. They get much more time in these, and while you can tell a certain edge is gone, the characterization is still consistent. Even 3, with the introduction of a son, doesn't lose too much.

It's when you get to the last 3 that you might struggle. You're without the the dialogue of Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, but Van Dyke was still around (he died after the fourth, Shadow of the Thin Man). And how many times can you gather suspects willingly to figure out a killer?

Loy and Powell keep those movies worthwhile. They did 13 together, and they're all good to great.

Last edited:

ThePepsiColaRapist

Dan doesn’t have a penis. I. Do.
Forum Clout
"Sexual assault with a concrete dildo..." will never not make my ribs shatter.
To this day, if my brother and I are in the same room and someone mentions any sort of malfeasance, we'll say - verbally or otherwise-
"with a concrete dildo?"
It really is the greatest film of all time