Would Anthony Cumia, who was approaching 40 during his big break, have found fame and success without the help of Opie?

Would Anthony have gotten famous on his own?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BonnieMcFarlaneMe2

❤️bonnie bonnie bonnie❤️
AJ Benza worked directly for Harvey Weinstein. He would keep tabs on negative press stories and pay people off in secret. He turned that into gigs in movies and doing poker commentary (which he still does). Benza knows some of the biggest secrets in Hollywood. Guy is majorly connected despite being anonymous.
I had no idea who he was in any capacity. Sounded like he had a failed talk show a la Carson Daly type bad.

G

Those standups have seen that play out all of the time. A guy comes up and gets famous on SNL or some network show for a few years.
And a guy like Bob Kelly, whether you find him funny or not, and as fat as he is (was, will be again) isn't lazy. He's a grafter, always was. He's made a comfortable living for himself 100% by himself. That deserves some respect. Privately he must look at Anthony and shake his head in bewilderment. Had it given to him on a plate and fucked it all away.

LiberalPussy

He was a lazy thieving bum who was gifted a job by his grifting brother making an effort with a small local radio show. Zero chance he would have achieved anything without Joe making the effort and Opie being the right guy to hook up with. Millions of talented people amount to nothing. He would have been “Funny Anthony” who all the fellas knew in the bar and job site.
Ok, this record needs to be correcTed.

Contrary to what Joe said later on to us on the Sub and to Nana, there’s literally a video interview where Bro Joe let’s it slip that Anthony know Opie first and brought him to the Cow’s attention. Don’t you faggots rewrite history. Joe is far more of a pathetic loser than Nana will ever be. And that’s saying something.

DMAN

NYC Mayor
As building a media empire on your own is impossible now. Opie coming out of nowhere to build O&A could not happen anymore. As everything is so sanitized and controlled now.

I disagree. It just seems that way because radio stations, podcast networks, TV affiliates, etc. are all consolidated and gobbled up by giant corporations. Radio stations or networks owned by lone wolf MAGA types who want to "own the liberals?" They are still out there in a few cities.

It's just a fine line between offending your own bosses and sponsors by making fun of Trump too much. The second you try to be 'unaffiliated,' and poke fun at both sides, you risk your own people coming to cannibalize you. Thus undoing all your progress.

I have said many times I think a Shock Jock could build a career right now. We live in the perfect climate for the genre to repopularize.

1. People are easier to offend than ever, feeding directly into publicity. (Trump proved this.)
2. Zero competition. There is a major void in entertainment for 'roast' comedy (WITHOUT political connotation.) R&F are gone, O&A are gone, Stern went soft. Being a live action throwback has its merits.

If you provoke attention, rope people in, and then finally deliver funny content consistently, you will meet all the necessary criteria for success in entertainment. The one and only tool that can actually make or break you is having the Suits in your back pocket. Even then, as we learned from O&A.... It's never a sure thing. Keep your head on a swivel... Because you never know.

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
Ok, this record needs to be correcTed.

Contrary to what Joe said later on to us on the Sub and to Nana, there’s literally a video interview where Bro Joe let’s it slip that Anthony know Opie first and brought him to the Cow’s attention. Don’t you faggots rewrite history. Joe is far more of a pathetic loser than Nana will ever be. And that’s saying something.
Anthony might have listened first but Joe was the one who made the effort to put together a stupid song parody. Anthony was far too lazy to make any effort whatsoever. This is nothing to do with what Joe said on the sub. This is years earlier from actually listening to the show long before there was a sub or any of you YouTube faggots who discovered the highlights later.

LiberalPussy

Anthony might have listened first but Joe was the one who made the effort to put together a stupid song parody. Anthony was far too lazy to make any effort whatsoever. This is nothing to do with what Joe said on the sub. This is years earlier from actually listening to the show long before there was a sub or any of you YouTube faggots who discovered the highlights later.
Kid, I was listening FAR longer than you. That’s demonstrably true. You didn’t even read the Time Magazine that O&A were featured in.

My point is, I know what I’m talking about and cited real video (as seen in the Beige doc).

TorqueWheeler

Dan doesn't have a penis. I. Do.
Kid, I was listening FAR longer than you. That’s demonstrably true. You didn’t even read the Time Magazine that O&A were featured in.

My point is, I know what I’m talking about and cited real video (as seen in the Beige doc).
That's not even possible, my nigger. I was listening to them years before that Time article too so clearly I win. I'm also citing WNEW conversations that aren't on YouTube because they were inconsequential. I'll accept your apology since I'm so gracious.

JebJoh

Highly doubtful. I could see Nana peaking as a mercurial local cover band scene singer, who's considered to be an acceptable-but-ugly singer/frontman who's notoriously difficult to work with. He'd still have a day job, which he'd constantly bitch about, and he'd always be getting admonished about showing up late, drunk and etc. He'd also be the main beer/coke hookup for neighborhood teens, for obvious reasons.
He tried that for years. He and joe were the original beavis and butthead. They used to run around Huntington making videos they thought would make them and their band famous for wacky stunts. Even by 80s standards they were cringy douchebags. They really did try hard though, they sold drugs for a living so they spent most days calling radio stations trying to get their names out there. Their bands always sucked, unlistenable garbage terrible taste in music. If they weren’t so freakishly ugly they probably could have played proms and colleges. They would be dead or in prison if opie didn’t save them.

lowend73

never caught lackin
There was a funny bit on some Nopie where it was Nana, Bob Kelly and I want to say Derosa. They were talking about Anthony's lucky break and the old gal was like "yeah, it's awesome it happened because this is how my life was supposed to turn out. The alternative would've been miserable." Kelly laid out for him how the opposite was true - how him stumbling into (temporary) fame and fortune was a mistake; a blip in the timeline. How he was basically a loser, was always supposed to be and would be again one day. Despite the HAHA HOLYSHITting, you could hear Anthony was genuinely hurt. The truth can have a way of doing that. Truly prescient from the Fatman
Anthony admitted to stealing cookies from his roommate. A problem that could have been easily avoided by working.